Windows 10: Best way to use the path command for every session?

Discus and support Best way to use the path command for every session? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; The net of this is, shades of 1980s DOS, I'd like to have a PATH established for every Windows session, using the DOS PATH command. 35 years ago, I'd... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by asus2016, Jul 4, 2021.

1. asus2016 Win User

Best way to use the path command for every session?

The net of this is, shades of 1980s DOS, I'd like to have a PATH established for every Windows session, using the DOS PATH command. 35 years ago, I'd place the command in my c:\autoexec.bat file - but how do I achieve that today? Here's the exact scenario: I am using the jhead exe file - Exif Jpeg header manipulation tool - because I can't find anything else better and simpler to set the file date/time stamp for jpg files, to reflect the photo's exif data. This is a command line file, and I'd like to just be able to run it from anywhere, without prepending the path name when invoking jhead. So in general, wondering the best way to do this, specifically: How do I establish a dos path setting/command every time I start Windows?Where is a good place to keep my jhead.exe file, since it's not a true Windows file, but rather a DOS command line one? Does Windows have a dedicated folder for such relics?

:)

asus2016, Jul 4, 2021

2. Add a path to $PATH?

Yeah, I think you're right. I think the purpose of the echo command was to check if ~/bin was in the $PATH file. My problem is that I can't decipher the output and I don't know how to add ~/bin to the $PATH file.

Just for clarification, the snippet of instructions I gave is just a few steps in the installation process. Nothing is actually supposed to be installed with those steps.

Thanks for the reply.

angelkiller, Jul 4, 2021
  3. Add a path to $PATH?

what exactly do you need to decipher about that path line? also, what are you installing? perhaps i can help.

Easy Rhino, Jul 4, 2021
  4. Naki Win User

GPU-Z what command line parameter ?

Suggestion: /? (-?) and /help (-help) command-line arguments to show a list of all possible arguments in a small window. *Smile Best way to use the path command for every session? :)

Naki, Jul 4, 2021
Thema:

1. Best way to use the path command for every session? - Similar Threads - Best path command

2. Best way for 23H2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Best way for 23H2: Since it's been 3 months since the release, I'm now thinking I should use one of the methods to manually update. I seem to have Co-Pilot working but still on version 22H2. So, there's an enablement package, ISO, and Installation Assistant. Which of the three would be...
  3. Windows uses file paths the wrong way

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows uses file paths the wrong way: When typing filepaths into, for example, the windows explorer, it automatically messes up the path by replacing the slashes with backward slashes. The same applies to many other applications, like the command prompt. Where can I disable this behavior?...
  4. Windows uses file paths the wrong way

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows uses file paths the wrong way: When typing filepaths into, for example, the windows explorer, it automatically messes up the path by replacing the slashes with backward slashes. The same applies to many other applications, like the command prompt. Where can I disable this behavior?...
  5. Which is, the best way?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Which is, the best way?: My omputer is a laptop. Running Windows 10.I've been using notepad. But I'm looking, for something better?There are so many choices. Word, Wordpad, Notepad, Notepad 2, Notepad++I prefer Wordpad because you could click on links. But here's the problemafter I open it I copied...
  6. Which is, the best way?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Which is, the best way?: My omputer is a laptop. Running Windows 10.I've been using notepad. But I'm looking, for something better?There are so many choices. Word, Wordpad, Notepad, Notepad 2, Notepad++I prefer Wordpad because you could click on links. But here's the problemafter I open it I copied...
  7. List files with path using Windows command line

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    List files with path using Windows command line: I would an output txt file to list the entire path using a windows command line to a txt file. I want the output to be like this: C:\Folder 1\folder 2\file.doc...
  8. What is the best command to create a file containing paths

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    What is the best command to create a file containing paths: I may be doing something wrong but 'dir', 'tree' and their variable switches so far have not given me what is needed. I am trying to match a list of paths taken from a database with the actual files contained in its master-folder I know for sure that many of the files are...
  9. Best way for Updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Best way for Updates: Hello all, did a Google search and just can't find a lot of answers on this so here I am Right now using WHdownload to keep up with updates,not sure this is the best way to go. Have 3 computer in house so moving updates from one to other to save data downloading. When...
  10. Best & Cheapest Way to Use 3 Monitors

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Best & Cheapest Way to Use 3 Monitors: I hooked up my new-to-me computer the other day. I was super excited because it had 3 ports on the video card, and while I love 2 monitors, 3 would be even better! Well, as it turns out, this version of this video card (AMD Radeon HD 5450 with VGA, DVI & HDMI) will only...