Windows 10: Big changes for Windows: Monetize differently says MS exec

Discus and support Big changes for Windows: Monetize differently says MS exec in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft chief operating officer Kevin Turner made the same point during a presentation Thursday at a Credit Suisse technology investment conference... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Big changes for Windows: Monetize differently says MS exec

Read more...

Brink, Dec 8, 2014
  2. swarfega Win User

I wont be upgrading to 10 if it turns out to be subscription based like Office 365 is.

:)

swarfega, Dec 8, 2014
  3. Mizz Maz Win User
    I am trying to get Print Artist 8 to load but I think there is a compatibility problem.

I have changed the properties for compatibility to Windows 95 & 98 but I still cannot get it to work. It keeps saying that the Monet Application has stopped working then the only option is to close the program. Any help will be much appreciated,

Thank you

Mizz Maz, Dec 8, 2014
  4. sadgamer Win User

Microsoft Sudoku crashes

MartiDaly,

ASUS laptop, i7 core, 8 GB ram, connected to the internet via wifi at home. I was going to change the compatibility mode and/or the privileges in the properties of the MS Sudoku execute file. Searched using Cortana and the file explorer and could not find
    the .exe file (perhaps a different name than Sudoku.exe?) I searched control panel> programs to delete the app and reinstall but MS Sudoku was not listed as a program. I looked through other microsoft programs and did not find Sudoku. I thought that the app
    was running on the cloud and I needed an Internet connection to play. Tested this theory by disabiling the Wifi in the Control panel. There should have been no exec file on my computer but started it from the Start Menu as it was still listed. It ran without
    crashing for over an hour until I quit. Looked for the exec file (with the file explorer) and still did not find it. With WiFi up and running, started Sudoku and it promptly crashed. Turned off WiFi again, using the function key to switch to airplane mode
    - f2 on my machine. again, ran like a charm. It sounds as if our situations are different as the program did not tell me I needed an Internet connection. Did it say needs an Internet connection to run or to save scores? If you find the Sudoku exe file,
    let me know where you found it. thanks

sadgamer, Dec 8, 2014
  5. Rickkins Win User
    Translated into English, means "we're gonna find new ways to squeeze every last penny out of our customers".

Merry Christmas.

Rickkins, Dec 8, 2014
  6. BunnyJ New Member
    I don't think I'm that surprised but I am disappointed to say the least. Charging for updates is asking a bit from some of the users who can't afford that type of plan. They're users not subscribers and doing this will likely aliment them and keep them from upgrading to Win10. And if it doesn't happen with Win10 it will likely occur later on.

Things do change but this stinks, IMO.

BunnyJ, Dec 8, 2014
  7. Mystere Win User
    It would surprise me if there wasn't a "full price" version that did not include any subscription mode. If nothing else, there will be an enterprise version, but I assume the Pro version will also be "full price", while the "Home" or "Starter" versions may be subscription.

Mystere, Dec 8, 2014
  8. labeeman Win User

Here is some more of M$ getting there hands in our wallet and it could work quite well.
    Microsoft's Windows monetization plan: Services are the new 'attach'

labeeman, Dec 9, 2014
  9. swarfega Win User
    It would surprise me if there wasn't a "full price" version that did not include any subscription mode. If nothing else, there will be an enterprise version, but I assume the Pro version will also be "full price", while the "Home" or "Starter" versions may be subscription.
    In which case I'd be happier paying for the "ultimate" edition rather than an update subscription version.

swarfega, Dec 9, 2014
  10. I really don't think they'd charge for monthly security updates and patches. What they'd charge you for are build updates. When new features are included, they charge you for that download, I suppose.

(Hmmmmm - 8.1 you're looking gooood!)

Jody Thornton, Dec 9, 2014
  11. BunnyJ New Member
    Very likely. Not that bad if the fee is not that steep.

BunnyJ, Dec 9, 2014
  12. Trust_No1 Win User
    Gee, I thought they meant they were going to open a chain of laundromat's to help subsides those windows sales.

Trust_No1, Dec 9, 2014
  13. Tony K Win User

Didn't we go round and round with this about Office? I agree with Mystere in that there will always be a "full price" version, just as Office. That will suit some while the subscription model will fit others. As long as there's a choice, who cares? *Rolleyes

Tony K, Dec 9, 2014
  14. BunnyJ New Member
    YES!! If we all have a choice then that's all that really matters and if the fee that MS charges in nominal then I can live with that!

Jeff *Smile

BunnyJ, Dec 9, 2014
  15. echrada Win User
    As long as you need windows there will be buyers sub or no sub, however when people realise that you can do everything you want with some other OS like OSX, Android or Linux they will leave MS.

echrada, Dec 9, 2014
Thema:

1. Big changes for Windows: Monetize differently says MS exec - Similar Threads - Big changes Monetize

2. Different MS account for Windows and Office?

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Different MS account for Windows and Office?: Can you have windows login using one microsoft account, and office 365 installation activated with a different microsoft account? 182157
  3. very big ping 100k ms

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    very big ping 100k ms: Hello, I have had a huge ping for a month in roblox. Sometimes there were around 300-400 pings and sometimes 100,000. I wrote to the support but they couldn't do anything there. They helped me for 2 weeks but nothing happened. this only happens in this game, I thought to ask...
  4. Same folder, big difference in size

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Same folder, big difference in size: [IMG] Hi, I have a question about this. I have a COMPUTER folder and the original is storaged in a Hard External Disk left and I tried to copied to another folder where is located in the Desktop of a Laptop right. It passed aprox. 3 hours and 30 minuted to complete the...
  5. How to install PS Exec on a Windows 10 PC?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to install PS Exec on a Windows 10 PC?: I watched some Youtube videos on how to "install" PS Exec. They are mostly Windows 7 tutorials. Seems like Windows 10 is a bit different. I tried to add it to Environmental Variables>System Variables>Path Edit>New>%SystemRoot%\System32\PSTools but it's not working. I have...
  6. Windows 10 reactivation after big hardware change

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 reactivation after big hardware change: In mid December my laptop broke and I had to send it back to get it repaired (it already had a activated windows licence), they changed the motherboard, I got it back yesterday and installed windows 10 back on but it is not activated and when i put the key they gave us (when...
  7. Reactivate windows 10 after a big hardware change

Reactivate windows 10 after a big hardware change: I recently upgraded my PC and I changed everything. Literally, everything (except the GPU, can't afford yet) My previous installation was: CPU: i3-4160 Mobo: Asus H81M-D Installation: Kingston A400 SSD My new system is: CPU: Ryzen 5 2600x Mobo: MSI B450M Mortar...
  8. Native Ads on the Microsoft Ad Monetization Platform

in Windows 10 News
    Native Ads on the Microsoft Ad Monetization Platform: We at Microsoft are committed to helping developers maximize their monetization through ads. The Microsoft ad mediation service along with the Microsoft Advertising SDK are the two key components of  Microsoft’s new ad monetization platform that dynamically optimizes ad...
  9. Big Surprise: Teamspeak Privacy Changes...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Big Surprise: Teamspeak Privacy Changes...: Hi everyone, I just opened the Teamspeak app and I was asked whether or not I accepted Teamspeak's new "privacy policy". Does anyone know what this will mean for users? What kind of privacy or personal information are Teamspeak users giving up? This is the link...
  10. One BIG issue testing Windows 10 - Use of MS software.

One BIG issue testing Windows 10 - Use of MS software.: Not sure if this has been covered before, sorry if it has, however hear goes. I am running Window 10 on a Spare rig that I built up, Basically an E6500 running at circa 3GHz with 4gb memory. So, basically I am only using Windows 10 as an occasional play thing, nothing...