Windows 10: Big drop in upload speeds

Discus and support Big drop in upload speeds in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Something strange has started happening with my Internet connection speeds. I'm using an ASUS RT-AX86U, which I've had for about 3 weeks and I've... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by TheLyppardMan, Aug 30, 2020.

1. Big drop in upload speeds

Something strange has started happening with my Internet connection speeds. I'm using an ASUS RT-AX86U, which I've had for about 3 weeks and I've tested the speeds on my two Windows 10 laptops (version 19041.450), an Huawei Notepad Lite and a Galaxy A3 mobile phone. I'm on the Plusnet FTTC unlimited data service. I've tried disabling QoS while carrying out my tests, just in case that was having any influence. Apart from my devices, there wasn't much other network activity at the time I took the latest tests earlier today.
    The mobile phone and Huawei Notepad (both Android devices) are still showing my normal speeds (see image of my mobile screen), i.e., around 59 download and 15 upload. I've tested the Windows laptops on Wi-Fi and also via Ethernet. The upload speed on Ethernet is around 7-9, so better than on Wi-Fi, but only about half the speed I was getting at the end of July 2020.
    I've just used Macrium Reflect to restore one of my laptops back to exactly how it was on 29th July and the problem with the Internet speeds is evident when I run a test on that configuration now, but didn't exist in late July, as you can see by some tests I made at that time.
    All this seems to be suggesting to me that it's something to do with the router when connecting Windows 10 devices. One other thing, I have tried two different AV products (Bitdefender and Bullguard) and even no third-party AV product, but the result is the same. Would it be worth trying my old Openreach modem, instead of the DrayTek Vigor 130 modem I'm using now, or would that be a waste of time (I can't see how that would make a difference really, as surely the Android devices would also be affected if the modem were playing up)?
    I'll check my daughter's Windows 10 laptop when she wakes up to see what speeds I get on that machine and add that information later.

Big drop in upload speeds [​IMG]

Big drop in upload speeds [​IMG]

:)

TheLyppardMan, Aug 30, 2020

2. DL speed drop

Hi,BenjaminMello

My name is Erik. I'm an Independent Advisor and I'll be glad to help you today.

How many devices that are connected to the internet, possible that you been experience a high traffic connection to your internet,that's why the speed drop while you were downloading and if only one device is connected, I suggest to run a speed test, make sure
    to get the download speed and then the Upload speed, if the Upload speed getting only 1mbps and then you have an issue to your connection, and I suggest to contact your service provider and to trace your line connection and asked what is the upload standard
    upload speed that you have in the package of your internet, because if your getting a 40 Mbps of speed expect the upload speed should be more than 5 Mbps to 10 mbps.that will depend what packaged that

EriksonBautista24, Aug 30, 2020
  3. DL speed drop

Hi, BenjaminMello

My name is Erik. I'm an Independent Advisor and I'll be glad to help you today.

How many devices that are connected to the internet, possible that you experience a high traffic connection to your internet, that's why the speed drop while you were downloading and if only one device is connected, I suggest to run a speed test, make sure
    to get the download speed and then the Upload speed, if the Upload speed getting only 1mbps and then you have an issue to your connection, and I suggest to contact your service provider and to trace your line connection and asked what is the upload standard
    upload speed that you have in the package of your internet because if your getting a 40 Mbps of speed to expect the upload speed should be more than 5 Mbps to 10 mbps.that will depend on what packaged that you have.

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any further concerns.

Regards,

Erik

Independent Advisor

EriksonBautista24, Aug 30, 2020
  4. DonaldW Win User

Big drop in upload speeds

Sudden large disparity between download & upload speeds.

(First post: Win 10 1809) Hello. I have encountered what seems to me to be a strange phenomenon: Recently upgraded to "1000 Mbps" fiber internet provider. Initial speeds for both download and upload speeds spread across the 900's, with upload speeds consistently a bit higher than download speeds. Yesterday one desktop seemed to have internet connectivity issues. I noted that the desktops Ethernet connection had for some reason adopted the name of one of our wireless routers: What had been "Network 2" was now "(SSID) 2".

This Dell XPS desktop (Win 10 Pro 64b, Version 1809) has both wired and wireless network connections, with the later used to connect to various peripherals. When I checked into Speedtest.net, Download speeds remained in the 900's, but upload speeds dropped below 50 Mbps. I went though various network troubleshooting steps and a number of restarts, this disparity persisted. Other than the lack of a name change to wired network connection, this disparity was also obtained on another desktop on the same network. However, speed checks on iOS tablet reveled no disparity whatsoever, suggesting that the phenomenon is limited to Windows machines.

Given my naive and limited understanding of Windows networking, I was hoping someone might help me to better understand the issue and, perhaps, suggest a fix.

DonaldW, Aug 30, 2020
Thema:

Big drop in upload speeds

1. Big drop in upload speeds - Similar Threads - Big drop upload

2. Sudden drop in Upload Speed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sudden drop in Upload Speed: Fresh install of Windows 10 on my computer, I checked the Download/Upload speed this morning, and I was getting pretty symmetrical speeds. about 900 Mbps down/up.But now my Upload speed has dropped dramatically, I still get 900 Mbps Download but only 70 Mbps Upload...
  3. Sudden drop in Upload Speed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sudden drop in Upload Speed: Fresh install of Windows 10 on my computer, I checked the Download/Upload speed this morning, and I was getting pretty symmetrical speeds. about 900 Mbps down/up.But now my Upload speed has dropped dramatically, I still get 900 Mbps Download but only 70 Mbps Upload...
  4. Sudden drop in Upload Speed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. No upload speed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No upload speed: Hi,I'm having an issue with my upload speed on this PC. Windows 10 Home - 22H2Intel core i7 - 9700 CPU @ 3.00 Ghz64 bit operating systemI tested other computers in the house and there are no issues. All downloads and upload speed are as they should be. I got a new router from...
  6. No upload speed

No upload speed: Hi,I'm having an issue with my upload speed on this PC. Windows 10 Home - 22H2Intel core i7 - 9700 CPU @ 3.00 Ghz64 bit operating systemI tested other computers in the house and there are no issues. All downloads and upload speed are as they should be. I got a new router from...
  7. No upload speed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. Upload Speed

Upload Speed: I live in a house with 4 other people. My computer and one other computer runs on ethernet. Everyone else's upload speed in 30-40 mb/s while mine is always less than 1mb/s. Everyone has good download speed and mine is 97-105 consistently on Ethernet, and everyone else's is...
  9. Upload speed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upload speed: So first of all I’m streamer and the minimum speed I need for good quality stream is has to be around 30 or more less than that it’s not working for me anyway when I had windows 10 my upload speed was 30 or 40 when I changed it windows 11 the maximum upload speed is 15 on my...
  10. Upload speed

Upload speed: So first of all I’m streamer and the minimum speed I need for good quality stream is has to be around 30 or more less than that it’s not working for me anyway when I had windows 10 my upload speed was 30 or 40 when I changed it windows 11 the maximum upload speed is 15 on my...