Windows 10: Big .tmp files in %temp%

Discus and support Big .tmp files in %temp% in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi, recently I noticed that i need more space on my C: drive and I found a lot of big .tmp files in C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Temp folder [from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Fluffpai, Nov 2, 2020.

1. Big .tmp files in %temp%

Hi, recently I noticed that i need more space on my C: drive and I found a lot of big .tmp files in C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Temp folder [from 500MB to 800MB]. The problem is that the Windows is showing 16GB of Temp files, but disk cleanup can delete only 25MB, Any suggestions? I asked for help in r/techsupport and what i figured out was just deleting these files. I deleted some of them and It seems that they are reappearing sometimes.

Is there a way to check why are they creating or which process is doing it?

submitted by /u/Fluffpai
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Fluffpai, Nov 2, 2020
  2. jwill266 Win User

Temp and TMP and Temporary Internet Files locations

You may also change this in the registry but I wouldn't advise it unless you know exactly what you are doing. Make sure you back up your registry and computer first before you make any changes to the system of this kind of nature. Here is how to do this.

Win + R then type regedit in the run box. Go to the HKEY_LOCAL_USER and expand it. Look down this list and find CONTROL PANEL, expand it and click on Environment. You will see key entries TMP and Temp on the right. Select then right click on them and select
    modify. Change them to, for example: F:\Temp, or which ever drive you wish to use as a temp drive. Make sure that you change the value for both TMP and Temp.

jwill266, Nov 2, 2020
  3. Deleting tmp files in C:\Windows\Temp

Hello

Should I be deleting .tmp files in C:\Windows\Temp?

If so, when I try, I get a message saying I need administrator permission. As a user, I am an administrator. Even if I log on as "Administrator," I get the same message saying I need administrator approval. I notice the files are marked "read only." But
    if I try to change that in the Security tab, the options are grayed out.

Any suggestions or advice?

Thanks.

AnthonyGiorgianni1, Nov 2, 2020
  4. Monkey57 Win User

Big .tmp files in %temp%

Temp and TMP and Temporary Internet Files locations

Technical Level : Intermediate

Summary

Environment variables are a way to store configuration data, two environment variables emerged as the front-runners for specifying where temporary files should go: TEMP and TMP.

Details

The Summary is from:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20150417-00/?p=44213

It goes back to the days of CP/M

Temporary Folders are used by almost every program on a computer, either during the installation of a program, or for the operation of the app/program.

These are the default values of some of the more important Temporary Folders.

Temporary Internet Files:

Please see:

Change location of TEMP files folder to another drive

Start Internet Explorer.

On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.

On the General tab, click Settings.

Click Move Folder. [move only if not set to default, or you need to move to another drive]

Click the folder you created in Step 1.

Click OK, click OK, and then click OK again.

Restart your computer

and

Microsft Edge has become extremely slow

• Open Internet Explorer.
    • Click on the Gear icon, and select Internet Options.
    • On the General tab, under Browsing History, go to Settings.
    • On the Temporary Internet Files tab, click on Move folder. [move only if not set to default, or you need to move to another drive]

Default location is -

C:\Users\[UserName]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\

i.e.->C:\Users\JoeCool\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\

See:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/windows/deploy/usmt-recognized-environment-variables

TEMP-The temporary folder on the computer. A typical path is %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp.

TMP-The temporary folder on the computer. A typical path is %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp.

To check your values -> in Cortana type 'Advanced System Settings' (click on the best matched results)- Advanced Tab - Click 'Environmental Variables' button - make sure your TEMP and TMP show the variables above.

After changing the 'Environmental Variables' (Rarely necessary)->Reboot.

Run a Disk Cleanup with all the boxes checked in the final dialog box. (a good process to run occasionally, even if you are not making changes in 'Environmental Variables').

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-996f-99e02c7301c2/disk-cleanup-in-windows-10

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17421/windows-free-up-drive-space

Before messing with any 'Environmental Variables'; verify your backup on FileHistory, OneDrive, or some other method you use->

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...onto-the/a0977ed7-e796-405b-be25-fa41441fc4b0

Monkey57, Nov 2, 2020
Thema:

Big .tmp files in %temp%

1. Big .tmp files in %temp% - Similar Threads - Big tmp files

2. Cant delete TMP files inside %Temp% Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant delete TMP files inside %Temp% Folder: a little backstory, i got a bunch of viruses and had to reset my pc, and these seem to carry over and i cant get rid of them and keep getting an error that their open in another program and therefore i cannot delete them. my pc seems to be running slow and my search bar...
  3. Cant delete TMP files inside %Temp% Folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cant delete TMP files inside %Temp% Folder: a little backstory, i got a bunch of viruses and had to reset my pc, and these seem to carry over and i cant get rid of them and keep getting an error that their open in another program and therefore i cannot delete them. my pc seems to be running slow and my search bar...
  4. temp files and .tmp are showing in main folders in windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    temp files and .tmp are showing in main folders in windows 11: Dear SirThe .tmp files are showing in my main folders.For example which ever folder I am working, the .tmp files are getting into it.I tried to search in environmental variables, all seems ok here but still the .tmp is coming in main file/folders.Please advise.Best Regards....
  5. temp files and .tmp are showing in main folders in windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    temp files and .tmp are showing in main folders in windows 11: Dear SirThe .tmp files are showing in my main folders.For example which ever folder I am working, the .tmp files are getting into it.I tried to search in environmental variables, all seems ok here but still the .tmp is coming in main file/folders.Please advise.Best Regards....
  6. tmp files .tmp

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    tmp files .tmp: I can empty all data in local temp folder , but as soon as open any web browser like Chrome or Microsoft edge they reappear. The files look like fc11a109-3f15-45b0-b483-630e1584a674.tmp. If I try then to delete the files individually, I get the message " The action can't be...
  7. Tmp files/folders in C:\Windows\Temp

in Windows 10 Support
    Tmp files/folders in C:\Windows\Temp: I was recently looking in C:\Windows\Temp and found many (hundreds) of folders in this directory. These folders each contains a file called "tmp00000000", these files are zero length. The folders in Windows\Temp are all in the form "tmp00000xxx" or "tmp0000xxxx", where...
  8. What uses Tmp and temp?

in Windows 10 Support
    What uses Tmp and temp?: The Windows OS uses those folders. In the old days, you could safely delete anything in those folders as it didn't matter. Now days, I'm pretty sure Windows 10 will monitor delete and update as necessary. 148332
  9. Is it safe to delete every tmp / temp file with a batch script?

Is it safe to delete every tmp / temp file with a batch script?: Hello everyone! I made a little script as follows: @echo off title deleting temp files del /s /q c:\*.tmp del /s /q c:\*.temp pause is it safe to run?...
  10. Deleting tmp files in C:\Windows\Temp

Deleting tmp files in C:\Windows\Temp: Hello Should I be deleting .tmp files in C:\Windows\Temp? If so, when I try, I get a message saying I need administrator permission. As a user, I am an administrator. Even if I log on as "Administrator," I get the same message saying I need administrator approval. I...