Windows 10: Biggest hurdle to overcome with Windows 9: The dead end

Discus and support Biggest hurdle to overcome with Windows 9: The dead end in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Information is beginning to leak about Windows 9, and the conversation has turned to how badly Microsoft has failed so far with Windows 8. It's being... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Gilletter, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Gilletter Win User

Biggest hurdle to overcome with Windows 9: The dead end

More

:)

Gilletter, Nov 18, 2008
  2. Fastmix Win User

Windows Phone and it's biggest hurdle.

I work in the wireless industry, and I have had unnumbered devices pass through my hands over the past couple of years. I truly love the Windows platform- it has an elegance, a simplicity, and a feel that is unmatched by other platforms. That said, the
    biggest hurdle it faces is also the most absurd. It is no secret how much MS has paid to developers to bring their content to Windows Phone, so every time I find an identical app on this platform that costs 5x it's more established counterparts, I am left
    wondering if the marketplace should have been left to mature (or not) on its own. It's one thing to buy a dozen or two apps again at $.99, the most common Android and iOS price, but repurchasing a dozen at $5 a piece has added more than 50% of the cost of
    the device in most cases. It is absolutely absurd to pay someone to bring an already published app to a new platform and simultaneously allow price gouging to this degree. I seriously think WP7 is the single best mobile OS in existence, but this lack of regard
    to app pricing demonstrates a few things: not only did MS have to woo developers with money and devices, but said developers expect so few adopters that they figure they have to ratchet up the price to make it worthwhile. In addition, they received no contradictory
    reply from MS, who is clearly ok with the price disparity and the knowledge that it is a real financial barrier. Furthermore, it tells me that MS cares more about the magic app number than it does those buyers who transition to the platform. If this were not
    true, MS would have insisted that the app developers who were already well compensated take into consideration the price of their wares on other platforms. This excellent OS is truly tarnished by its own Marketplace, which serves not only as a portal to new
    content for WP7 devices but proof-positive that not even MS believes it can succeed. It's not as if it is being marketed to 18 year old XBOX addicts with mommy and daddy's credit card on file. For this platform to succeed, it must have a marketplace that at
    least matches its competition in pricing and value, knowing full well that the number of apps has already become irrelevant.

I will ditch every non-Windows device I have the moment it's own creators and developer community give me the ok to do so. $5 for an app that is fully functional and free on iOS tells me that time has not yet come.

Fastmix, Nov 15, 2008
  3. Windows Phone and it's biggest hurdle.

I have no problem payin $5 for an app that someone spent months to create as long as it is useful. If it isn't useful I wouldn't buy it no matter the price.

Rabidpeanut, Nov 15, 2008
  4. AsRock Win User

I can't speak to the iOS experience but can for the Android experience and I have most certainly encountered the "dead end" as the author calls it with Android apps and OS. I actually have not encountered any "dead ends" with Win 8 (yet) but have with other Windows versions as well as Mac OS X and various distros of Linux.

I understand the point the author is trying to make but disagree that it's the biggest hurdle for Win 9 to overcome.

AsRock, Nov 15, 2008
  5. Binge Win User
    I liked the article but agree with you here. In my opinion the biggest hurdle has always been pricing.

Binge, Nov 15, 2008
  6. I could not really care what has or is happening with windows 8/8.1 at this point in time. My only thoughts are now directed at Windows 9 and which direction Microsoft is taking the new OS. To talk of a system that is on the way out is just plain silly. This is the Nine Forums not XP, Not Win 7, nor win 8. I want to learn what is happening with the next up coming OS from Microsoft not an old one.

Rabidpeanut, Nov 15, 2008
Thema:

1. Biggest hurdle to overcome with Windows 9: The dead end - Similar Threads - Biggest hurdle overcome

2. Biggest idiots

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Biggest idiots: In microsoft are the most stupid people. Microsodt has the worst support among everyone. Someone stole my account, into i put more than 60€ and only thing microsoft was able to respond with, was that they can not give me my account back, they can only suspend my old account....
  3. Biggest idiots

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Biggest idiots: In microsoft are the most stupid people. Microsodt has the worst support among everyone. Someone stole my account, into i put more than 60€ and only thing microsoft was able to respond with, was that they can not give me my account back, they can only suspend my old account....
  4. Dead-end Problem Windows 10 NDIS

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Dead-end Problem Windows 10 NDIS: Facing error since & sometimes - just now discovered "what's it?!" :- problem starts with Unplugging or Pluging-in USB DeviceWireless Network Adapter TP-Link with its driver or RealtekLatest Driver - sometimes it gets stuck & DEADLY - in manner - no Restart or Shut Down will...
  5. Dead-end Problem Windows 10 NDIS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dead-end Problem Windows 10 NDIS: Facing error since & sometimes - just now discovered "what's it?!" :- problem starts with Unplugging or Pluging-in USB DeviceWireless Network Adapter TP-Link with its driver or RealtekLatest Driver - sometimes it gets stuck & DEADLY - in manner - no Restart or Shut Down will...
  6. Dead-end Problem Windows 10 NDIS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. I am at a dead end

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I am at a dead end: Hello to everyone and I hope that you are doing well I happen to have an old system with the following specs: CPU: Core 2 Quad Q6600 GPU: Geforce 9600 GT RAM: 2GB DDR2 800Mhz MOBO: Gigabyte GA-EP31-DS3L PSU: A very cheap one This system used to work as it should. Then, one...
  8. win10 dead end, on latest update ?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    win10 dead end, on latest update ?: Hi All. Trying to install the latest update. Ok going through the pages, I get the following.. Select or connect an external storage drive with at least 10 Gb free: Next page says .. External storage device ( D : ) 26.2 Gb Free... Also, at the bottom of the same page it...
  9. Warframe, the Free to Play Hit, Ends the Year with Biggest Update Yet

in Windows 10 News
    Warframe, the Free to Play Hit, Ends the Year with Biggest Update Yet: N4O-vCAgZ4I Happy holidays, Tenno! We hope you’re enjoying the latest new cinematic quest, The War Within, on Xbox One right now. It took us a little while to get it out, but we hope you find it was worth the wait! For those who haven’t dug into The War Within yet,...
  10. Windows 9 to Put an End to “Big Mammoth Updates”

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 9 to Put an End to “Big Mammoth Updates”: Windows 9 is definitely going to bring quite a lot of changes to users worldwide, but one of the biggest modifications that Microsoft is expected to make to its operating system is a different approach in terms of updates and new features delivered to computers running it....