Windows 10: Bing cookies set when Win10 starts - why?

Discus and support Bing cookies set when Win10 starts - why? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've noticed that when I start Win10 it sets two cookies - bing.com and Bing - even though I don't knowingly use Bing for anything. So, I'm curious to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Sam Vimes, Feb 25, 2021.

1. Sam Vimes Win User

Bing cookies set when Win10 starts - why?

I've noticed that when I start Win10 it sets two cookies - bing.com and Bing - even though I don't knowingly use Bing for anything. So, I'm curious to know why these are being set.

Could it be related to the inbuilt Win10 search function that seems to want to use Bing? Could they be blocked?

Thanks

:)

Sam Vimes, Feb 25, 2021
  2. spunk Win User

How to get rid of Bing Search History ?

Go to the Bing homepage and click on Search History. On the right side of the page you will see the Turn off button, this will turn off the search history feature in the Bing Homepage
    The Bing Homepage Search History should now be turned off. This setting will remain unless your cookies are cleared. Should you need to clear your cookies, then you will need to repeat these steps again.

spunk, Feb 25, 2021
  3. Can't replace Bing as default search provider in Edge/Win10

Hi,

Thank you for posting your queries in Windows 10.

I completely understand your concern.

I suggest you to follow these steps and check if that helps.

• Click (…)

• Select settings

• Under settings

• Advance settings

• Turn on home page and add the site of your choice as home page.

• Click on save button.
    You will also find an option to turn off searching with Bing here.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Sudharshan M K, Feb 25, 2021
  4. angus Win User

Settings can't be opened using the built-in administrator account

Hello,
    Unfortunately I have the same issue as Dabz from upgrading win7 to win10.
    I've tried opening settings using all the suggested methods and it will not load using my account with Administrator access nor the built-in Administrator profile. I also tried other methods not listed such as using Run. Control panel is just a stepping stone to add users in Settings.
    I'm also having explorer.exe issues, which I believe is preventing Settings from loading.
    Using cmd (Admin) I successfully created a new user profile [and granted admin access also using cmd (Admin)], however win10 will not allow this account to log on. win10 does not list this new user within control panel but it does in the start menu. win10 will not allow to log in or switch to the new account via the start menu either.
    I can access settings in Safe Mode but this will not allow me to create a new account.
    Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

angus, Feb 25, 2021
Thema:

1. Bing cookies set when Win10 starts - why? - Similar Threads - Bing cookies set

2. Bing cookies magicly appears on my PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bing cookies magicly appears on my PC: Hi.I noticed that, even when I do not open any web browser, and even if I try to block cookies and other trackers, there's always BING cookies that appears on my computer... Since I choose to not allow cookies, why does Microsoft ignore my choice, and where does these cookies...
  3. Bing cookies magicly appears on my PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bing cookies magicly appears on my PC: Hi.I noticed that, even when I do not open any web browser, and even if I try to block cookies and other trackers, there's always BING cookies that appears on my computer... Since I choose to not allow cookies, why does Microsoft ignore my choice, and where does these cookies...
  4. Bing cookies magicly appears on my PC

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Cookies: When are they innocuous and when are they harmful?

Cookies: When are they innocuous and when are they harmful?: Hello,I always thought cookies were just a way for websites to do internal accounting and/or tailor advertising for customers; however, I recently have been getting phishing/scam emails with my name claiming that I owe them money or that my credit card will be charged an...
  6. Cookie: When are they innocuous and when are they harmful?

Cookie: When are they innocuous and when are they harmful?: Hello,I always thought cookies were just a way for websites to do internal accounting and/or tailor advertising for customers; however, I recently have been getting phishing/scam emails with my name claiming that I owe them money or that my credit card will be charged an...
  7. Defaults set to Bing

in Browsers and Email
    Defaults set to Bing: W 1909 18363.353 FF 72.ob6. Is it just me or did some of the latest updates change my FireFox default's to "Bing" (start page, search engine etc.) ?? 146452
  8. Bing on start up

in Windows 10 Customization
    Bing on start up: Two weeks ago 'Bing search engine opens each time I log into my computer. Can't find in start up settings where to turn off. Anyone help? Thank You https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bing-on-start-up/8dc9641c-a455-4a08-a7d9-9f74978f8321
  9. Why Cookies in Windws/INETcookies

in Browsers and Email
    Why Cookies in Windws/INETcookies: I just did a full scan with Bitdefender Total Security 2016 and it found and deleted a doubleclick cookie in Users/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/INETcookies. I only use Firefox and manually delete individual cookies from it's cookies.sqlite cache. I checked the...
  10. Huge increase in tracking cookies caused by Win10

Huge increase in tracking cookies caused by Win10: My SUPERAntispyware (free) seems to do a better job than Norton at blocking tracking cookies. It blocked 7 or 8 a day on average on my Win7. It's just stopped 257 that have arrived in the past TWO days on my new Win10. Nearly everyone had the name Microsoft in its title....