Windows 10: Biometric Fingerprint Scanner unrecognized by Windows Hello

Discus and support Biometric Fingerprint Scanner unrecognized by Windows Hello in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; Hi, I am using Lenovo S540-15IWL laptop with Windows 10 OS. After I updated my Windows 10 to 20H2, my fingerprint scanner stopped working. It was... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by vicky_444, Jan 11, 2021.

1. vicky_444 Win User

Biometric Fingerprint Scanner unrecognized by Windows Hello

Hi,

I am using Lenovo S540-15IWL laptop with Windows 10 OS. After I updated my Windows 10 to 20H2, my fingerprint scanner stopped working. It was working fine earlier and I was able to login using fingerprint. It shows "We couldn't find a fingerprint scanner compatible with Windows Hello Fingerprint". When I open up Device Manager, there is no option of Biometric Device. I cannot find it on any other devices listed in Device Manager. I have updated all the drivers from Lenovo website.

Please let me know if you have any solution for it, I have been trying to fix it for a while now.

Thanks

:)

vicky_444, Jan 11, 2021

2. Hello fingerprint scanner

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand your inconvenience. We will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the methods provided below and check if it helps.

Method 1: Enable Biometric option.

I suggest you to enable the Biometrics to pick up the Biometrics setting. This option shall be enable by default. However, I recommend you to follow the steps provided below and check if it enable or not.

• Press Windows logo key + R key.
    • Type gpedit.msc and press
      Enter
      key.
    • Under Computer Configuration, navigate to.
    Administrative Templates--> Windows Components-->
    Biometrics--> Facial Feature

In the left hand panel of the Windows, double click on the following:

• Use enhance anti spoofing when available.
    • Select enable option and click on Apply and
      OK button.
    Now, restart your computer and follow the instructions provided below.

After restarting the computer, I suggest you to disconnect and reconnect the fingerprint sensor device and check if the drivers are getting detected in Device Manager. If the issue still persist, follow method 2.

Method 2: Reinstall drivers and compatibility mode.

I suggest you to download and install the latest drives for fingerprint sensor device from the manufacture’s website and check if it gets detected.

If the issue still persist, you may also install the drivers in compatibility mode and check.

Follow the steps to install the drivers in compatibility mode.

• Download the drivers from the manufacturer’s website.
    • Right-click on the installer and click on "Properties".
    • Click on the ‘compatibility’ tab and check the box "Run this program in compatibility mode for” and select previous Operating System from the drop down.
    • Click on ‘Apply’ and click ‘OK’ and run the file to install it.

After installing the drivers in compatibility mode, follow the method 3 and check if you are able to get the sign in option with Biometric.

Method 3:

• Press Windows logo key + I key.
    • Click on Accounts.
    • Go to Sign in options tab.
    • The fingerprint option will always be visible if there is a WBF-supported fingerprint reader (and its associated driver) installed on the computer.

For more information, refer the following Microsoft help article.

Biometric Devices

Biometric Devices (Windows Drivers)

Hope it helps. Do let us know if your issue is resolved. For any further query, feel free to contact us.

Thank you.

Syed Md Bilal, Jan 11, 2021
  3. Jen.Q Win User
    Fingerprint scanner not compatible with Windows Hello

Hi

I'm Jen, a fellow Microsoft Customer. I'm sorry to hear about your problem with the fingerprint scanner. Let me try to help you.

If the issue only happened after the update, we might be looking at a driver compatibility problem.

Try these steps:

> Right-click the Windows Start icon, then select Device Manager

> Expand Biometric devices

> Right-click your fingerprint driver and select Properties.

> Go to the Driver tab.

> Select 'Rollback driver' if available.

> Restart your computer after it's done and see if it works.

If Windows Hello is still unable to detect the fingerprint scanner, repeat the first 4 steps then select 'Update driver'. Restart the computer after it finished updating.

Please let me know how it goes.

Jen.Q, Jan 11, 2021
  4. Biometric Fingerprint Scanner unrecognized by Windows Hello

Fingerprint scanner stopped working

Hello Noreen, my name is Alexander. I'm an Independent Advisor and I'm happy to assist you!

I recommend that you try to check if there are any hidden devices for Fingerprint Scanner under Biometric Devices. Please, take the following steps:

1. Press Windows+X keys and select Device Manager.

2. Look for View then click on the result and select Show hidden devices.

3. Look for Fingerprint drivers listed under Biometric Devices.

4. If the driver is listed there, right-click on it and then choose Update Driver.

5. Reboot the PC.

I also recommend that you check the Biometric service. Please, take the steps.

1. Press Windows+R keys and open Run.

2. Type in services.msc and click on OK.

3. Look for Windows Biometric service.

4. Double click on Windows Biometric and on the Start button to run the service.

5. Click on the drop-down menu to select the Startup type (Automatic).

6. Click on OK.

Best regards,

Alexander B.

Alexander Bertnikov, Jan 11, 2021
Thema:

Biometric Fingerprint Scanner unrecognized by Windows Hello

1. Biometric Fingerprint Scanner unrecognized by Windows Hello - Similar Threads - Biometric Fingerprint Scanner

2. Windows Hello And The Fingerprint Scanner

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows Hello And The Fingerprint Scanner: So recently I updated my Microsoft Surface Pro Laptop and It added Windows Hello which allows you to sign in, in different ways like 1. Face Recognition , 2. PIN, 3. Password, 4. Fingerprint,5. Security Key, And Picture Password. Well when I selected fingerprint it loaded and...
  3. Windows Hello Fingerprint Scanner not working

Windows Hello Fingerprint Scanner not working: I am a student and I received a HP ProBook 440 G6 from my school which I paid for and own. On the bottom right of the keyboard is what I believe to be a fingerprint scanner. I tried searching for the answer to my question, and the only answer was to check the version of...
  4. Biometric Scanner

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Biometric Scanner: I have a ZKTeco Live20R biometric scanner and I am having a hard time setting it up. Also my computer doesn't have a disc drive download the drivers and the website is hard to navigate....
  5. Fingerprint scanner not compatible with windows hello fingerprint

Fingerprint scanner not compatible with windows hello fingerprint: Sir, I have Dell vostro laptop with windows 10 home single language. Since few days my laptop's fingerprint is not working. On going in Setting a shown as "we couldn't find a fingerprint scanner compatible with windows hello fingerprint" and option showing REMOVE and ADD...
  6. Fingerprint scanner not compatible with Windows Hello

Fingerprint scanner not compatible with Windows Hello: After the Windows 10 update of May 28th 2020 I am unable to login with my fingerprint. Going to Settings - Accounts - Signin options - Windows Hello Fingerprint it says "This option is currently unavailable. We couldn't find a fingerprint scanner compatible with Windows...
  7. windows hello / biometric fingerprint sensors

windows hello / biometric fingerprint sensors: My Windows was not getting the first update, due to which I updated the Windows 10 Pro offline, but now in settings, Windows hello and fingerprint sensor biometric service is not working in the account sign Please help me...
  8. Biometric devices vanished/fingerprint scanner

Biometric devices vanished/fingerprint scanner: After 6 months of using new Lenovo laptop S740 ideapad and signing in with my fingerprint scanner it suddenly stopped working and vanished. Updated everything on Lenovo site and still missing...Yes, my windows did an update...I cannot access the Hello sign-in options as it...
  9. Biometric fingerprint scanner suggestion

Biometric fingerprint scanner suggestion: I would like if Windows Hello added some way for me to use my fingerprint scanner to login to my computer games Everquest 2, Diablo 3 and future versions. If I could just swipe my fingerprint and get in my games faster that would be AWESOME! Oh and add a topic for...
  10. Windows Hello Fingerprint Scanner Not Working

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Hello Fingerprint Scanner Not Working: I have no idea what went wrong. It stopped working a few day ago with no noticeable change. Just went in and tried to reprogram it in because maybe my fingerprint changed or something crazy like that?? So I go to touch it, it gets to the 'touch the scanner again' screen and...