Windows 10: BIOS Detecting HDD, not appearing in Boot Manager

Discus and support BIOS Detecting HDD, not appearing in Boot Manager in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I was working on my laptop (Lenovo G505s, AMD A10, 10gb Ram, 1Tb HDD, Win 10 edu), suddenly I got a Blue screen error and Windows started collecting... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by tsram90, Aug 27, 2016.

1. tsram90 Win User

BIOS Detecting HDD, not appearing in Boot Manager

I was working on my laptop (Lenovo G505s, AMD A10, 10gb Ram, 1Tb HDD, Win 10 edu), suddenly I got a Blue screen error and Windows started collecting data regarding teh error. It went till 100% and got stuck there, after some time the screen started getting distorted, black horizontal lines started coming on screen. I power offed the PC using the power button.

After that I am not able to boot in to my PC. My HDD is being detected in BIOS, I can read the contents if I connect it via a SATA to USB adapter on a Windows PC (But not on an UBUNTU PC) but my HDD is not shown in the boot manager. I am getting an error saying that "No Bootable Media Detected, Please Restart"

I could start the PC using a USB Ubuntu, but couldn't access the drives (Got an error saying "the drives are locked, please resume windows and shutdown completely").

Where is the problem in my PC? Is the hard disk gone? or BIOS? or Mother Board? (I am attaching the photos of the BIOS settings)

Thanks for the help.

:)

tsram90, Aug 27, 2016
  2. barkeley Win User

Windows 8.1 failed to upgrade to Windows 10. (Error code: 80070002-20009)

Same error for me. Had to remove the second HDD to succeed with Windows 10 upgrade.

However, when I reinstalled the second HDD, it was detected in the BIOS but not in Windows, including in the storage management tool. All was fine under W 8.1.

In the BIOS, the HDD was marked as second boot option. I removed it and could access my HDD again.

barkeley, Aug 27, 2016
  3. HDD Issue Windows 10

Recently i upgraded to windows 10.

During the update, it failed several times but after suggestions from forum i removed my HDD drive and successfully updated to windows 10 with my SSD , after the update Windows doesn't detect my HDD,

Situation

1. My HDD and SSD both are visible in BIOS options,( I have UBUNTU in HDD and windows in SSD i can easily boot in ubuntu with my hdd )

2. But my windows 10 cant detect it, it's not even shown in Device Manager.

3. Even windows under advanced startup options (Boot with USB ) can detect my HDD and shows Ubuntu in it.

Now what to do , i can do nothing as its not showing in device manager.??????

BalarkTiwari, Aug 27, 2016
  4. Plankton Win User

Sounds like you HDD has crashed.

I'd connect the HDD as you stated above with USB/SATA adapter and backup all your data you want to keep. Then run the diagnostic software from that HDD's maintenance download webpage....ie WD or Seagate, to confirm HDD status.

Plankton, Aug 27, 2016
  5. Kbird Win User
    The Crash may have corrupted the MBR , did you try a Win10 Boot USB and do a Startup repair ?

Kbird, Aug 27, 2016
  6. tsram90 Win User
    My drive is by SAMSUNG, which is now run by Seagate. I downloaded the troubleshooter and disk checker for my drive.
    In a short drive self test I got a error and I was asked to run the Long Generic Test. I ran both Short Generic Test and Long Generic Test, then again ran the short drive self test, none of these cases gave any error.

I have backed up all the data using a SATA to USB cable, and used the windows drive checker, which also didn't gave any errors.
    I used a windows USB to try the startup repair, but I got a error that "Windows Startup Repair could not start"

I also tried connecting the drive via USB to check whether any damage to builtin SATA is there, sill nothing.

What Should I do? What would be the problem in this case?

tsram90, Aug 29, 2016
  7. Kbird Win User
    You should post the Bios Pics in the Thread , alot of people won't download files from people they don't know , too many virus's and Malware these days.

So you ran CHKDSK on the HDD ?

I would do a manual startup Repair via the Command Prompt

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/repair...rd-mbr-windows

or Use a Macrium Reflect BootDisk (or USB) and their "Fix Windows Boot Problems" which should find the installed version of Windows and then fix the MBR/Boot etc . (What is does depends on MBR disk or GPT Disk)

Fix Boot Problems

KB

Kbird, Aug 29, 2016
  8. tsram90 Win User

That was the logical thing to do, and I initially tried that. But somehow the pictures are not getting uploaded for me. It shows upload is 100%, but the pics are not appearing in the screen.

I did CHKDSK, and it returned no errors.

I will try the methods you suggested and get back.

Thanks

tsram90, Aug 30, 2016
  9. Kbird Win User
    Most pics I just copy and paste into the quick reply window , it auto resizes them after a few seconds , I only use the advanced window when i want to attach a PDF for example. And after you upload them you need to select them in the upload window and click insert inline...

KB

Kbird, Aug 30, 2016
  10. tsram90 Win User
    Hello all,

i tried the manual repair option, I got the following.

BIOS Detecting HDD, not appearing in Boot Manager [​IMG]

I also tried to do a reinstall of windows, just in case to check. I couldn't install Windows on any of the drives, I got the following error. I am not sure what the error is, But I haven't done any formatting recently. I had upgraded from windows 7 directly. Why am I getting this error? Is it related to the boot error?

tsram90, Aug 30, 2016
  11. Kbird Win User
    I see you fixed the photos *Smile

Your bios is in UEFI Mode , and on most laptops i have seen you need to disable Secure Boot to boot from USB or CD or use the Boot Menu/Manager. It says secure boot is Enabled but it says Secure Boot status is Disabled , so not sure what is going on there.

did you change any settings in the Bios ? I am surprised Win7 was on UEFI if not.

looking at the last Pic it says you now have 1TB (1000mb) of unallocated space so it looks like you wiped the HDD after the Manual Startup Repair didn't work..... is that right? So all your Data is gone ? , it is a 1TB HDD you have right?

If you have wiped your data by accident and need it back , dont do any more until you recover the Windows' Partition 1st using Minitool Partition wizard Free's Bootdisk/USB.

Setup appears to see the disk though which is good news but where you trying to install Win7 again or Win 10 again. Win7 will have UEFI Errors but Win10 shouldn't , see this Dell writeup

Use of DiskPart to Clean the HDD/SSD – The Unofficial Windows 10 Reinstallation Guide

you may need to use Diskpart from the Command Prompt to Clean the disk before installing Win 10 again too

Use of DiskPart to Clean the HDD/SSD – The Unofficial Windows 10 Reinstallation Guide

Kbird, Aug 30, 2016
  12. tsram90 Win User
    When the lap crashed, a played around with teh BIOS settings, and Now I don't remember what was the original one.
    Secure boot status was the same, I didn't touch it. I don't know what's up with that.

As for my Windows, I first installed windows 10 with win 7, tried it out. Once I was satisfied, I upgraded win 7 to 10, and then later removed one of the win 10. I don't remember which one.

It is 1000mb, (1 Gb) my other partitions are under the error windows. I have backed up my whole HDD (1 Tb) but I haven't removed any data. The 1 Gb unallocated space was there when I installed Windows,. I didn't format it because I didn't want a 1 gb drive. ( It was at the start of the drive so I couldn't extend it o any other drives.)

I am trying to reinstall windows 10. If I format my whole drive and start fresh, will things start working? *Huh
    The initial problems started while working in a Win 10 environment. Not during boot.

tsram90, Aug 31, 2016
  13. Kbird Win User

Oh I see , very strange to have a 1GB partition at the start of a drive , you need to Repartition the whole Drive , not reformat it though, then reinstall win10 , easiest way is to delete all partitions during Win10 Setup phase don't pick anywhere when it asks just delete all the partitions and then Setup should just do it's thing ,making partitions and formatting as needed.

this is win7 but it should look the same
    How to delete all the partition of hard drive while installing the windows 7 - Quora

Or if you have a Minitool Partition Wizard Boot disk/USB use that 1st to wipe the drive and then reboot and install Win10 off another USB.

KB

Kbird, Aug 31, 2016
  14. tsram90 Win User
    I just started the PC and it started working fine. First boot took about 2 hours, stuck at the login screen, after that it is working just fine.

Then in two days it just crashed, and it is back to the same. While I had it, I ran all the tests from seatools and there wasn't any errors. Will it be problem with any other component like motherboard etc.?

The PC crashed to a Blue Screen, which was also stuck at 100% and then these grains started coming on screen.

tsram90, Sep 2, 2016
  15. Kbird Win User
    Could be depending on the age of the laptop , or if you have drop it etc ...

Could be it downloaded a Win10 Update in the background again , that isn't compatible with your system for some reason.

So you can't boot it again ?

Kbird, Sep 2, 2016
Thema:

1. BIOS Detecting HDD, not appearing in Boot Manager - Similar Threads - BIOS Detecting HDD

2. HDD dint detected on BIOs and Disk Management

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HDD dint detected on BIOs and Disk Management: I have 2 things of storage. first is 1Tb HDD barracuda and 128GB ssd. The ssd is working fine and I can see it in the bios of my gigabyte motherboard but I cant see my hdd in there. Also i'm already trying to change port sata cable each of them,change the sata with new one...
  3. HDD dint detected on BIOs and Disk Management

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDD dint detected on BIOs and Disk Management: I have 2 things of storage. first is 1Tb HDD barracuda and 128GB ssd. The ssd is working fine and I can see it in the bios of my gigabyte motherboard but I cant see my hdd in there. Also i'm already trying to change port sata cable each of them,change the sata with new one...
  4. HDD dint detected on BIOs and Disk Management

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. hdd detected in bios but not in windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    hdd detected in bios but not in windows: My new HDD 3,5" 2TB hard drive is connected and detected in BIOS. But it doesn't show in OS. I cannot "install" it in computer management. If I use the command panel it doesn't show BUT, but I CAN see the drive in the device manager. From what I can tell there is no need for...
  6. Windows Boot Manager doesn't appear on BIOS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Boot Manager doesn't appear on BIOS: Hi, i have a little problem i haven't been able to solve. Yesterday I installed Windows 11 on my PC, directly from windows update. The problem is that my ssd has 2 partitions, one with ubuntu and the other one with windows 10, but since I installed windows 11 the windows boot...
  7. Windows Boot Manager doesn't appear on BIOS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Boot Manager doesn't appear on BIOS: Hi, i have a little problem i haven't been able to solve. Yesterday I installed Windows 11 on my PC, directly from windows update. The problem is that my ssd has 2 partitions, one with ubuntu and the other one with windows 10, but since I installed windows 11 the windows boot...
  8. HDD not detected in bios or disk management

HDD not detected in bios or disk management: Hi, I have recently built a computer. Ryzen 5 2600 and MSI 1660 super. I have 2 things of storage. 1 M.2 ssd which is 1 tb. and a 4tb Wd Blue. The 1tb is working fine and I can see it in the bios of my gigabyte motherboard but I cant see my WD blue. If you can provide me...
  9. HDD is detected in BIOS, but not in Windows

HDD is detected in BIOS, but not in Windows: The HDD is detected in BIOS as it is showing its serial number, but anything else while booting, it is not detected. I cannot get into Windows as the whole drive (drive C:) is corrupted. So, I am left with WinRE by using a Windows installation disk. I tried every command...
  10. BIOS and Device Manager Detecting 2nd HDD, but not in Files

BIOS and Device Manager Detecting 2nd HDD, but not in Files: Hi everyone, So long story short, copped a corrupted filed and needed to reset my computer. After spending 3 days on the phone to Windows support, we finally got it to work, having wiped both the hard drives. Everything seems like it is working, but when I went to...