Windows 10: BIOS Doesn't Pick Up SSD but Windows Install Does?

Discus and support BIOS Doesn't Pick Up SSD but Windows Install Does? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hey folks, I had a PC (tower) built a couple of weeks ago. I have two drives, a 256gb SSD as my boot drive and a 512gb for my programs and files.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by bhall005, Mar 24, 2019.

1. bhall005 Win User

BIOS Doesn't Pick Up SSD but Windows Install Does?

Hey folks,

I had a PC (tower) built a couple of weeks ago. I have two drives, a 256gb SSD as my boot drive and a 512gb for my programs and files. Everything was working as it should until about 6pm EST on 3/24/19.

My computer restarted and showed a black screen with the text "Reboot and select proper Boot Device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot Device."

After a couple of hours trying to reboot and get into BIOS, I finally inserted a USB with the Windows Installer. I was then able to get into BIOS and the BIOS is not seeing my 256gb SSD.

I then installed windows on my 512gb drive so that I can have something functioning. During the install process, I was prompted with a list of drives to install windows to and the 256gb SSD was on the list. I attempted to repair and reinstall on the 256gb but it didn't work.

I'm now running windows off my 512gb drive. When I pull up file explorer, I can see the 256gb SSD. But when I enter BIOS, it's still not picking it up.

Additionally, I can no longer see any of my program files on my 512gb drive or my 256gb SSD but I can clearly see the space that is remaining indicating the files still exist on both drives.

I need help with:

1. Why would BIOS not recognize the 256gb SSD but once I'm logged into Windows I can see that drive in the File Explorer?

2. How can I fix the issue in #1?

3. Why can't I see all program files when running Windows off my 512gb drive?

Thanks in advance for your help!

:)

bhall005, Mar 24, 2019
  2. CyrrusV Win User

hd6950 to hd 6970

ok
    i ve tried everything:with atiflash from dos,winflash.step by step with bios powercolor hd 6970 from the database.
    nothing,doesn´t work.any suggestion????

CyrrusV, Mar 24, 2019
  3. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Mar 24, 2019
  4. BIOS Doesn't Pick Up SSD but Windows Install Does?

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's bios menu.

Hi Matthew,

There are several possible reasons as to why your computer is not detecting an SSD drive. This could be caused by incorrect BIOS settings or device drivers that need to be updated. Since you already tried the suggestion of Andre Da Costa and this allowed
    your computer to detect the SSD already, we would like to further clarify your concern by asking the questions below:

• If you were already able to install Windows on the SSD, have you already attempted to change the boot order in the BIOS menu?
    • Which version of Windows did you install on the SSD?
    • What other troubleshooting steps have you attempted?

We look forward to your response to our queries.

Jordan Dom, Mar 24, 2019
Thema:

BIOS Doesn't Pick Up SSD but Windows Install Does?

1. BIOS Doesn't Pick Up SSD but Windows Install Does? - Similar Threads - BIOS Doesn't Pick

2. Windows Installer not recognizing M.2 SSD but BIOS does

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Installer not recognizing M.2 SSD but BIOS does: I want to install Windows on a 500GB M.2 SSD that I have on my ASUS TUF F15 laptop but the Windows Installer doesn't recognize the SSD when BIOS does. I have tried literally every solution i could find and nothing has worked so far but I feel like I am close to solving my...
  3. Windows Installer not recognizing M.2 SSD but BIOS does

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Installer not recognizing M.2 SSD but BIOS does: I want to install Windows on a 500GB M.2 SSD that I have on my ASUS TUF F15 laptop but the Windows Installer doesn't recognize the SSD when BIOS does. I have tried literally every solution i could find and nothing has worked so far but I feel like I am close to solving my...
  4. Bios does not detect SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bios does not detect SSD: I tried to reset the preinstalled windows 11 in my Dell XPS 9510 with no success so removed the SSD and formatted connecting to portable SSD reader. I then installed back the SSD and try to set up Wind 11 by USB but the disk does not show up. This happened with multiple SSD...
  5. Bios does not detect SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bios does not detect SSD: I tried to reset the preinstalled windows 11 in my Dell XPS 9510 with no success so removed the SSD and formatted connecting to portable SSD reader. I then installed back the SSD and try to set up Wind 11 by USB but the disk does not show up. This happened with multiple SSD...
  6. BIOS doesn't recognize my SSD but Windows 10 does

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    BIOS doesn't recognize my SSD but Windows 10 does: It's a repeat question to this thread but my problem is different because I can boot into my SSD. I have recently installed a new M.2 NVME SSD and installed windows onto it using my USB stick. I have deleted old windows versions by renaming them to windows.old and using the...
  7. Microphone doesn't pick up voice

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Microphone doesn't pick up voice: Today my mic picks up my voice really low, but it still picks up the keyboard and mouse sounds. Yesterday it was working perfectly fine. I've tried all the troubleshooting advice I saw online, meaning I did all I could on the Settings > Sounds windows, and tried to update my...
  8. Windows boot doesn't pick up

Windows boot doesn't pick up: [IMG]I'm asking you for help here in last resort cause I've been everywhere and can't find a solution. I've installed Linux Mint in my laptop alongside Windows 10. Created a partition and installed it. I'm a total n00b in Linux and struggled a bit to have it work. After...
  9. BIOS doesn't recognize my SSD but Windows 10 does

BIOS doesn't recognize my SSD but Windows 10 does: Hi everyone, I have an Asus X571GD and I decided to upgrade my storage so I could have a HDD for my files and an m.2 SSD for windows and some games. I formatted the HDD and installed a new windows in the SSD using an external flash drive, after doing all the setup and...
  10. SSD not being picked up by windows but picked up in bios

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    SSD not being picked up by windows but picked up in bios: My OS is installed on my SSD so every time i try boot my PC it takes me to recovery, I cant use diskpart commands because it doesnt show any storage devices, but in BIOS i can choose to load from it. If I use a bootable USB with the installation stuff on it, it doesnt allow...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. bios not picking up ssd drive but windows picks it up