Windows 10: Bios is reading new ssd but when trying to install windows 10 OS it cant find the ssd

Discus and support Bios is reading new ssd but when trying to install windows 10 OS it cant find the ssd in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I just bought a Samsung 860 QVO 1TB SSD 4-bit QLC V-NAND SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive for a new pc build we have a flash drive with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by ICEYPLAYS, May 21, 2020.

1. ICEYPLAYS Win User

Bios is reading new ssd but when trying to install windows 10 OS it cant find the ssd

I just bought a Samsung 860 QVO 1TB SSD 4-bit QLC V-NAND SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive for a new pc build we have a flash drive with windows 10 on it and when we boot up the pc the bios shows that the SSD is there and recognized but when continuing the bootup process to install windows, windows can't find a hard drive to install it to. Motherboard: ASRock B46OM pro 4

:)

ICEYPLAYS, May 21, 2020
  2. appsy31 Win User

Installing Windows 10 on a new SSD

Original Title: Samsung SSD

I have a new Samsung 850 EVO SSD which I want to use in my PC, I am trying to clean install Windows 10 on it and I am not enjoying any success after numerous attempts. A number of the suggestions seem to refer to installing Windows 7 or 8 first and then
    upgrading. I don't have the Windows 8 installation disc (it didn't come with the PC)

I have read elsewhere that the problem could be with the Samsung software not being compatible with Windows 10. I am not sure that this is relevant because I don't wont to transfer any data to the SSD, I just want to have the OS and some specific programs
    on it (Kodi, Music Bee, and Thunderbird etc) and use the HDD as storage.

Should I persevere with the Samsung SSD or see if I can exchange it for something better. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

appsy31, May 21, 2020
  3. Eberwurz Win User
    Windows 10 isn't recognizing new SSD

On startup the BIOS initializes the communication to the hardware and then hands it over to the OS. If the BIOS cannot see the SSD the OS (Windows) usually cannot either.

Your pc runs the newer UEFI per default but can revert to BIOS:

Check the BIOS settings if you can find anything about Legacy BIOS or UEFI.

Try changing it, reboot to test, then change it back and see if the SSD shows up in preboot.

Also some Mainboards have a SATA mode settings. Change that around to see if it makes a difference.

Once the SSD gets recognized its only a small step to get it mounted in Windows.

However it might not be possible to directly boot from the SSD using UEFI or even BIOS since the previous Installation cloned to it was stored on an SSHD and not an SSD which could cause problems.

My advise would be to perform a new Installation to the SSD once it gets recognized.

Eberwurz, May 21, 2020
  4. Bios is reading new ssd but when trying to install windows 10 OS it cant find the ssd

New windows 10 installtion on New SSD - wont boot unless old SSD present

It seems you installed Windows while the both SSDs were connected. This would have caused your current problem. Maybe it is sufficient to do this:

1. Launch the Disk Manager.
    2. Right-click drive C:, then mark it as "active".
    3. Shut down Windows
    4. Open the BIOS and tell it that the new SSD is the primary boot device.
    5. Disconnect the old SSD.
    6. Boot up normally.

If this does not work then you might have to do this:

1. Disconnect the old SSD.
    2. Re-install Windows on the new SSD, using the Media Creation Tool.

Frederik Long, May 21, 2020
Thema:

Bios is reading new ssd but when trying to install windows 10 OS it cant find the ssd

1. Bios is reading new ssd but when trying to install windows 10 OS it cant find the ssd - Similar Threads - Bios reading ssd

2. BSOD when trying to install Windows 10 on new SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD when trying to install Windows 10 on new SSD: Hello there. I have troubles installing Windows 10 on a new SSD.I bought new SSD - Samsung 870 QVO 1TB. I replaced my old SSD on my laptop - ASUS ROG G55vw with the Samsung one. I made bootable USB with official Windows 10 installation. I checked if Samsung's SSD firmware is...
  3. BSOD when trying to install Windows 10 on new SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD when trying to install Windows 10 on new SSD: Hello there. I have troubles installing Windows 10 on a new SSD.I bought new SSD - Samsung 870 QVO 1TB. I replaced my old SSD on my laptop - ASUS ROG G55vw with the Samsung one. I made bootable USB with official Windows 10 installation. I checked if Samsung's SSD firmware is...
  4. BSOD when trying to install Windows 10 on new SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Installing new OS on new SSD.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installing new OS on new SSD.: I have Windows 10 on a separate SSD that has failed. I’d like to simply install a new SSD, and also the most up-to-date Windows OS. Since the current OS is on a failing, non-bootable drive, how do I install a new OS on a clean drive? I am not aware of any bootable OS’s on any...
  6. Installing new OS on new SSD.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Installing new OS on new SSD.: I have Windows 10 on a separate SSD that has failed. I’d like to simply install a new SSD, and also the most up-to-date Windows OS. Since the current OS is on a failing, non-bootable drive, how do I install a new OS on a clean drive? I am not aware of any bootable OS’s on any...
  7. Installing new OS on new SSD.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Cant Boot OS on SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cant Boot OS on SSD: Hi All, I am having trouble, my OS is installed on my HDD. My computer has been extremely slow ever since it was reinstalled onto my HDD from SSD screenshot below. Iam trying to have it copied and moved back to my SSD Patriot Burst. Ive done a copying and moved all the data...
  9. Cant Boot OS on SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant Boot OS on SSD: Hi All, I am having trouble, my OS is installed on my HDD. My computer has been extremely slow ever since it was reinstalled onto my HDD from SSD screenshot below. Iam trying to have it copied and moved back to my SSD Patriot Burst. Ive done a copying and moved all the data...
  10. Cant install windows 10 on new ssd

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cant install windows 10 on new ssd: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/geoger [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lko8sb/cant_install_windows_10_on_new_ssd/