Windows 10: BIOS Issue or what?

Discus and support BIOS Issue or what? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm uncertain where to post this message so apologies if it would be more appropriate elsewhere. My seven-year old Medion MD96630 notebook is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by MalcolmW, Aug 24, 2016.

1. MalcolmW Win User

BIOS Issue or what?

I'm uncertain where to post this message so apologies if it would be more appropriate elsewhere.

My seven-year old Medion MD96630 notebook is running a clean install of Windows 10 which I had to have a Microsoft Engineer activate for me. Since then, on boot up, the following text appears immediately after start up:

Intel UNDI, PXE-2.1 (build 082)
    Copyright (C) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation
    For Realtek RTL8101E 10/100 PCI-Express Ethernet Adapter v1.03(070618)
    PXE-E61: Media Test Failure, check cable
    PXE-MOE: Exiting PXE ROM

Other than a USB mouse and the power nothing else is connected to the notebook. Internet access and printing are by Wi-Fi.

After the above mentioned text being diplayed boot up continues and Windows 10, although slow, operates as does all applications satisfactorily.

I'd be glad of any guidance to resolve this issue.

:)

MalcolmW, Aug 24, 2016
  2. DaveM121 Win User

BIOS issue

You may or may not agree with my comments, that is up to you, I suggested the fix that worked for me a couple of weeks ago, no one else seems to be suggesting a fix !!

OK, one last time, this issue is specific to ASUS systems, for some unknown reason when the power is removed during an Windows 10 Update, they boot into BIOS and nothing else - I have never seen other PC's / Laptops do this.

All the fixes we normally use will not work, I tried them all, and while I prefer to fix rather than re-instal, I found it the only option in this case!!

I just did a quick Search and this problem is all over the Web with ASUS systems, and no one has been able to get it to boot to the HDD.

DaveM121, Aug 24, 2016
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    BIOS issue

IT IS NOT A HARDWARE ISSUE, THIS WAS CAUSED BY WINDOWS 10 UPDATE

Please stop giving the OP in the wrong information !!

I had the exact same problem on another ASUS two weeks ago, they pulled the plug during a Windows 10 Update, same thing,
    booting into bios, and no way past it

As I explained above the only to fix this issue is to backup data from the HDD and Clean Install Windows 10 !!

DaveM121, Aug 24, 2016
  4. EdTittel Win User

BIOS Issue or what?

Yes, it probably is a BIOS issue because PXE (pronounced "pixie") is the preboot execution environment that Intel offers to permit PCs to download an OS over the network during the boot process (remember "thin clients? this technology lets them skip storing the whole OS locally). It has to be enabled in BIOS to work and, if your're not using it, should be disabled in BIOS. If you turn it off those error messages should go away.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Aug 25, 2016
  5. spunk Win User
    To add to what Ed is saying, Boot into Setup (Bios) go to the Boot tab. Using your Enter and Arrow key, Move the internal HDD to First Boot Device. Move Network Boot to last device or Disable it all together. Save and Exit.
    Or you can set the Bios to Defaults, usually by pressing F5 in the Bios.

spunk, Aug 25, 2016
  6. MalcolmW Win User
    For EdTittel and spunk my thanks for your help. I have amended the Boot order and the error message is no longer displayed.

Thank you both for your prompt and helpful responses.

Malcolm

MalcolmW, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

BIOS Issue or what?

1. BIOS Issue or what? - Similar Threads - BIOS Issue

2. bios boot issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    bios boot issue: this image comes up when i boot up windows with secure boot and tpm enabled. so i disabled secure boot and tpm but then im given this on login. when i press ‘setup my pin’ it does nothing at all so im completely stuck on what to do. i dont know what to change in the boot on...
  3. bios boot issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    bios boot issue: this image comes up when i boot up windows with secure boot and tpm enabled. so i disabled secure boot and tpm but then im given this on login. when i press ‘setup my pin’ it does nothing at all so im completely stuck on what to do. i dont know what to change in the boot on...
  4. Can someone help me with a Bios issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can someone help me with a Bios issue: When I load onto my computer, it says please enter to recovery bio setting f one f two when I press both of them, nothing happens or one of them and i'm stuck...
  5. Can someone help me with a Bios issue

Can someone help me with a Bios issue: When I load onto my computer, it says please enter to recovery bio setting f one f two when I press both of them, nothing happens or one of them and i'm stuck...
  6. Rebooting Windows 11 issues with MSi click BIOS 5

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Rebooting Windows 11 issues with MSi click BIOS 5: Hi there, I need help to reboot Windows 11. The examples on YouTube don’t seem to work for me. I have an AMD Ryzen 9 7900 that crashed while rendering a project on Adobe Premier Pro. The screen went blank and now it keeps coming up with MSi click BIOS 5. The BIOS Build Date...
  7. Rebooting Windows 11 issues with MSi click BIOS 5

Rebooting Windows 11 issues with MSi click BIOS 5: Hi there, I need help to reboot Windows 11. The examples on YouTube don’t seem to work for me. I have an AMD Ryzen 9 7900 that crashed while rendering a project on Adobe Premier Pro. The screen went blank and now it keeps coming up with MSi click BIOS 5. The BIOS Build Date...
  8. BIOS CMOS ISSUE I think is what it said!?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BIOS CMOS ISSUE I think is what it said!?: I bought a HP Pavilion Laptop from a friend of a friend. He told me at the time that he wiped it so all i needed to do was reinstall windows10 on it. I bought the software but was not able to put window 10 on laptop because an error stated that the storage driver was missing....
  9. BIOS CMOS ISSUE I think is what it said!?

BIOS CMOS ISSUE I think is what it said!?: I bought a HP Pavilion Laptop from a friend of a friend. He told me at the time that he wiped it so all i needed to do was reinstall windows10 on it. I bought the software but was not able to put window 10 on laptop because an error stated that the storage driver was missing....
  10. BIOS CMOS ISSUE I think is what it said!?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware