Windows 10: BIOS Issue or what?

Discus and support BIOS Issue or what? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm uncertain where to post this message so apologies if it would be more appropriate elsewhere. My seven-year old Medion MD96630 notebook is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by MalcolmW, Aug 24, 2016.

1. MalcolmW Win User

BIOS Issue or what?

I'm uncertain where to post this message so apologies if it would be more appropriate elsewhere.

My seven-year old Medion MD96630 notebook is running a clean install of Windows 10 which I had to have a Microsoft Engineer activate for me. Since then, on boot up, the following text appears immediately after start up:

Intel UNDI, PXE-2.1 (build 082)
    Copyright (C) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation
    For Realtek RTL8101E 10/100 PCI-Express Ethernet Adapter v1.03(070618)
    PXE-E61: Media Test Failure, check cable
    PXE-MOE: Exiting PXE ROM

Other than a USB mouse and the power nothing else is connected to the notebook. Internet access and printing are by Wi-Fi.

After the above mentioned text being diplayed boot up continues and Windows 10, although slow, operates as does all applications satisfactorily.

I'd be glad of any guidance to resolve this issue.

:)

MalcolmW, Aug 24, 2016
  2. DaveM121 Win User

BIOS issue

You may or may not agree with my comments, that is up to you, I suggested the fix that worked for me a couple of weeks ago, no one else seems to be suggesting a fix !!

OK, one last time, this issue is specific to ASUS systems, for some unknown reason when the power is removed during an Windows 10 Update, they boot into BIOS and nothing else - I have never seen other PC's / Laptops do this.

All the fixes we normally use will not work, I tried them all, and while I prefer to fix rather than re-instal, I found it the only option in this case!!

I just did a quick Search and this problem is all over the Web with ASUS systems, and no one has been able to get it to boot to the HDD.

DaveM121, Aug 24, 2016
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    BIOS issue

IT IS NOT A HARDWARE ISSUE, THIS WAS CAUSED BY WINDOWS 10 UPDATE

Please stop giving the OP in the wrong information !!

I had the exact same problem on another ASUS two weeks ago, they pulled the plug during a Windows 10 Update, same thing,
    booting into bios, and no way past it

As I explained above the only to fix this issue is to backup data from the HDD and Clean Install Windows 10 !!

DaveM121, Aug 24, 2016
  4. EdTittel Win User

BIOS Issue or what?

Yes, it probably is a BIOS issue because PXE (pronounced "pixie") is the preboot execution environment that Intel offers to permit PCs to download an OS over the network during the boot process (remember "thin clients? this technology lets them skip storing the whole OS locally). It has to be enabled in BIOS to work and, if your're not using it, should be disabled in BIOS. If you turn it off those error messages should go away.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Aug 25, 2016
  5. spunk Win User
    To add to what Ed is saying, Boot into Setup (Bios) go to the Boot tab. Using your Enter and Arrow key, Move the internal HDD to First Boot Device. Move Network Boot to last device or Disable it all together. Save and Exit.
    Or you can set the Bios to Defaults, usually by pressing F5 in the Bios.

spunk, Aug 25, 2016
  6. MalcolmW Win User
    For EdTittel and spunk my thanks for your help. I have amended the Boot order and the error message is no longer displayed.

Thank you both for your prompt and helpful responses.

Malcolm

MalcolmW, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

BIOS Issue or what?

1. BIOS Issue or what? - Similar Threads - BIOS Issue

2. BIOS issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BIOS issues: Please see: Driver_irql_not_less_or_equal error message - Microsoft Community for background informationLaptop: Yoga Slim 7 ProX 14ARH7 - Type 82TLWindows 11Just to clarify:- Keyboard is lit- The screen is black- I can't seem to open BIOS using the methods stated online and...
  3. BIOS issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BIOS issues: Please see: Driver_irql_not_less_or_equal error message - Microsoft Community for background informationLaptop: Yoga Slim 7 ProX 14ARH7 - Type 82TLWindows 11Just to clarify:- Keyboard is lit- The screen is black- I can't seem to open BIOS using the methods stated online and...
  4. BIOS update issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BIOS update issues: Hi there, when I enter the BIOS to update the BIOS for my 2013 Asus X550CA laptop that runs Windows 10 version 22H2, but then the "Start Easy Flash" is grayed out and I have no idea how did this happened until I realized that I was entered to BIOS as User and enter to BIOS as...
  5. BIOS update issues

BIOS update issues: Hi there, when I enter the BIOS to update the BIOS for my 2013 Asus X550CA laptop that runs Windows 10 version 22H2, but then the "Start Easy Flash" is grayed out and I have no idea how did this happened until I realized that I was entered to BIOS as User and enter to BIOS as...
  6. BIOS update issues

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Black screen and freeze issues, can't see BIOS nor Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen and freeze issues, can't see BIOS nor Windows: Hello,My specs :Custom buildASUS Z390-AI9900kRTX307016gb RAM.Windows 11I've had freezes and black screen problem for a long time on Windows 10 occuring at random moments gaming and while browsing. To temporarily fix the issue I had to hard reboot my PC. I found out that I...
  8. Black screen and freeze issues, can't see BIOS nor Windows

Black screen and freeze issues, can't see BIOS nor Windows: Hello,My specs :Custom buildASUS Z390-AI9900kRTX307016gb RAM.Windows 11I've had freezes and black screen problem for a long time on Windows 10 occuring at random moments gaming and while browsing. To temporarily fix the issue I had to hard reboot my PC. I found out that I...
  9. Facing Windows 10 Issues after successful BIOS update, Reinstalling Fails At 'Your PC Will...

Facing Windows 10 Issues after successful BIOS update, Reinstalling Fails At 'Your PC Will...: Hello,Apologies if I posted this in the wrong place, but I am currently facing some issues with my PC after I ran a BIOS update yesterday. Feel free to move it to the correct forum. To start with, here are my system specs: CPU : AMD Ryzen 9 5900xGPU: RTX 3060RAM: Corsair...
  10. Facing Windows 10 Issues after successful BIOS update, Reinstalling Fails At 'Your PC Will...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Facing Windows 10 Issues after successful BIOS update, Reinstalling Fails At 'Your PC Will...: Hello,Apologies if I posted this in the wrong place, but I am currently facing some issues with my PC after I ran a BIOS update yesterday. Feel free to move it to the correct forum. To start with, here are my system specs: CPU : AMD Ryzen 9 5900xGPU: RTX 3060RAM: Corsair...