Windows 10: BIOS Password to prevent changing BIOS settings?

Discus and support BIOS Password to prevent changing BIOS settings? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have a laptop with BitLocker enabled with TPM with PIN protection. If an attacker steals my laptop, would they be able to access my sensitive files... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by win10freak, Aug 31, 2019.

1. BIOS Password to prevent changing BIOS settings?

I have a laptop with BitLocker enabled with TPM with PIN protection.

If an attacker steals my laptop, would they be able to access my sensitive files from the Internal hard drive if I do not set a BIOS Password to prevent the attacker from changing the BIOS settings?

:)

win10freak, Aug 31, 2019

2. How to change BIOS Settings.

Hi,

Thank you for being a part of Windows 10 Insider Preview.

I appreciate you for providing details about the issue and we are glad to assist you.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to switch from IDE to ACHL and check if it helps.

• Press Windows key +
      R
      from the Keyboard.
    • Type regedit and hit
      Enter
    • Browse to HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\msahci\
    • Change the DWord value named "Start" from "3" (IDE) to "0" (AHCL)
    • Shutdown the computer.
    • Power the computer back on, making sure to enter the BIOS and change the SATA Operation to AHCL.
    • Save the change.
    Registry Disclaimer:

Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry
    if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

322756 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/) How to back up and restore the registry in Windows.

BIOS Disclaimer:

Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the
    configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Mohammed AliAli, Aug 31, 2019
  3. Bios settings

Hi,

Thank you for being a part of Windows 10 Insider Preview.

I appreciate you for providing details about the issue and we are glad to assist you.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to switch from IDE to ACHL and check if it helps.

• Press Windows key +
      R
      from the Keyboard.
    • Type regedit and hit
      Enter
    • Browse to HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\msahci\
    • Change the DWord value named "Start" from "3" (IDE) to "0" (AHCL)
    • Shutdown the computer.
    • Power the computer back on, making sure to enter the BIOS and change the SATA Operation to AHCL.
    • Save the change.
    Registry Disclaimer:

Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry
    if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

322756 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/) How to back up and restore the registry in Windows.

BIOS Disclaimer:

Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the
    configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Mohammed AliAli, Aug 31, 2019
  4. BIOS Password to prevent changing BIOS settings?

Bios update Compatability issues.

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

• Are you trying to downgrade or upgrade the BIOS?

Since you are trying to make changes in bios, I suggest you to contact the manufacturer for assistance.

BIOS Disclaimer: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may
    prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Aug 31, 2019
Thema:

BIOS Password to prevent changing BIOS settings?

1. BIOS Password to prevent changing BIOS settings? - Similar Threads - BIOS Password prevent

2. Password/BIOS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Password/BIOS: Should a person set up a password in the BIOS of a computer?If so would I have to be signing in through the BIOS area whenever I boot up the computer each day?Would it keep any hackers from getting through the computer through a backdoor method? Kenneth...
  3. Password/BIOS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Password/BIOS: Should a person set up a password in the BIOS of a computer?If so would I have to be signing in through the BIOS area whenever I boot up the computer each day?Would it keep any hackers from getting through the computer through a backdoor method? Kenneth...
  4. Bios password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bios password: Hi.I have a problem;I can't write bios password, because keyboard is not responding at all. Computer "beebs" everytime, when i press a button. I have tried 2 different keyboards and the results are the same. What can i do?...
  5. BIOS password changed by it's self

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    BIOS password changed by it's self: I went into my BIOS the other day and it asked for a BIOS password... I never set a bios password. I'm thinking it might be a virus but I'm wondering if there is any other way a BIOS password might change by it's self. Is it possible the password was set after my warranty...
  6. BIOS PASSWORD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BIOS PASSWORD: I forgot the password I set to enter into the BIOS on an HP Pavilion -550-110. I am trying to enable hardware virtualization but cannot until I can access the BIOS. I've read about opening up the computer and physically interfering with the system but knowing no more than I...
  7. Bios password

in Windows 10 Customization
    Bios password: I've been having this problem for a few months now but I honestly don't know what to do right now. I tried like taking out the cmos battery, pressing buttons, watching videos, and going two other websites to ask for help. Unfortunately they just keep telling me to call...
  8. Bios Password

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bios Password: I have an Hp ProDesk 400 G3 SFF. I got a message that I needed a bios update. Your probably thinking I should be on the Hp site but this has to do with the bios on the operating system. When I tried to update the bios it wanted the bios password. I bought this computer brand...
  9. Bios password

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bios password: I removed my harddisk and placed in another laptop where I formatted the local disk c and converted the GPT. now if I place it in my own laptop it says,'Boot device error'... the sad part is that I cant access my laptop's bios Any help....
  10. BIOS - CSM setting changed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    BIOS - CSM setting changed: Steve C, those are the settings i have: OS: Windows 8, UEFI only (CSM set to Never does that?), Secure boot enabled. I've loaded BIOS defaults then set OS to Windows 8, CSM set to Never. Secure boot is enabled by default. I also enable virtualisation as my CPU supports it...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. aptio bios prevent user for changing