Windows 10: BIOS password used for winlogon auto login

Discus and support BIOS password used for winlogon auto login in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have heard that it is somehow possible to pass the BIOS hardware boot password on to Windows and have winlogon auto login a user based on the... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by **** Wilkins, Jun 13, 2019.

1. BIOS password used for winlogon auto login

I have heard that it is somehow possible to pass the BIOS hardware boot password on to Windows and have winlogon auto login a user based on the password obtained from BIOS.

Does anyone know how this can be accomplished? I'm speculating that BIOS may leave credentials in EFI variables and winlogon is somehow flagged to look for them when the system is started. Thoughts?

:)

**** Wilkins, Jun 13, 2019
  2. demonguy Win User

How to auto login windows 10 if i use Microsoft account?

I didn't solve this by your suggestion. However, i reinstalled windows10, and log in with Microsoft account from start. Then netplwiz works well.

I found a interesting phenomenon. After unchecking the box of netplwiz, and type a wrong password, netplwiz will also exit with no error. Does it mean netplwiz only sotres the password i input and use this for logging in?

I have two hypothesises about netplwiz.
    1. auto login feature is a kernel feature, netplwiz just call this feature, the password you need to input after unchecking the box is just for authentication of current user.
    2. auto login feature is provided at userspace by netplwiz. the password you need to input after unchecking the box is stored somewhere and netplwiz will use this password to log in windows

At first i think first one is correct, but now it seems that second is correct, am i right?

demonguy, Jun 13, 2019
  3. Password issue

After going through the steps to make a new password, after a week or two, my login credentials are no longer valid. I'm forced to make a new password all over again. It seems to happen if I don't login in a certain period of time. Does our passwords expire???

GoFigureItOut, Jun 13, 2019
  4. BIOS password used for winlogon auto login

password protect

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community forum.

I would suggest you to provide some information to help you better.

• Are you referring to BIOS password as Boot password?
    • Is it a login password which you are referring when Windows starts?
    If Login password, provided you are using Local Account on Windows 10 you may follow the below steps:
    • Press Windows + R keys to open Run command
    • Type " control userpasswords2 "
    • Select the account and uncheck "user must login with password"
    • Select apply and Ok.
    If Boot password you may have to contact your computer manufacturer.

Keep us posted to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Jun 13, 2019
Thema:

BIOS password used for winlogon auto login

1. BIOS password used for winlogon auto login - Similar Threads - BIOS password used

2. Auto login

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Auto login: Atuo loginwin 11 does not auto login did 2days ago no problem, all updated about same time, have tried all the suggestions, netplwiz, regitedit mods the lot, double check pc name in domain, workgroup,as the only person on this pc was happy when it auto log on my laptop...
  3. Auto login

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Auto login: Atuo loginwin 11 does not auto login did 2days ago no problem, all updated about same time, have tried all the suggestions, netplwiz, regitedit mods the lot, double check pc name in domain, workgroup,as the only person on this pc was happy when it auto log on my laptop...
  4. Auto-login

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Auto-login: After this most recent update 21H1 as far as I know my pc has been logging me in before I even finish typing in my login pin. This seems like a bit of a security issue to me. How do I stop this from happening?...
  5. Auto Login

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Auto Login: As an administrator I have a password. My children's account don't. When they use the computer last and correctly shut down, on restart their account automatically restarts. So I have to wait for it to restart then log off then select myself and enter my password. How do...
  6. Winlogon Init

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Winlogon Init: Hi, My PC is under Windows 10 2004 and my boot takes too much time. It's like that since more than a year and I can't recon when it happened and what installation or else could be linked to this change. I did a BT and to me it seems the issue comes from the "Winlogon Init"...
  7. Win10 auto login with account with no passwords.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win10 auto login with account with no passwords.: Did this ever get fixed or a way to disable it? Just upgraded my parents laptop from Win7 to Win10, they both have an account with no password. But if it's restarted or shut down, it auto logs in the last user. I saw lots of post about it but they were all from like 2016....
  8. Auto login and pictures at login

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Auto login and pictures at login: Hello, I configured auto login on the computer with Windows 10 I use. The version is Windows 10 Entreprise Version 1607, and I cannot change this (requirement from the entreprise to keep this version). However, since I configured auto login, the user account picture is no...
  9. Bios Password

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bios Password: I have an Hp ProDesk 400 G3 SFF. I got a message that I needed a bios update. Your probably thinking I should be on the Hp site but this has to do with the bios on the operating system. When I tried to update the bios it wanted the bios password. I bought this computer brand...
  10. auto login

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    auto login: Where are the settings for auto login ? I found the one for wake up from sleep and set it to no password required. 2180