Windows 10: BIOS sees DVD (sata) drive but Windows 10 does not.

Discus and support BIOS sees DVD (sata) drive but Windows 10 does not. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have connections on my motherboard for 8 sata drives and am using only 6, which includes the DVD drive. All of the hard drives and USB drives show in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by 12stringpc, Dec 12, 2018.

1. BIOS sees DVD (sata) drive but Windows 10 does not.

I have connections on my motherboard for 8 sata drives and am using only 6, which includes the DVD drive. All of the hard drives and USB drives show in File Explorer but the DVD drive does not. How do I get the DVD drive to show in Windows 10?

:)

12stringpc, Dec 12, 2018

2. SATA DVD-RW Drives

Hey Guys,

So, I finally just bought my new rig: EVGA A1 Mobo (w/ 6 SATA Slots), 2 WD Raptors (SATA - Gonna RAID 0 Boot), 4 Seagate 320GB Barracuda's (SATA - Gonna RAID 5 Storage).
    However, I realized I also bought 2 DVD-RW drives, in SATA *Eek! BIOS sees DVD (sata) drive but Windows 10 does not. :eek: not enough SATA ports on the mobo...

So a couple of questions follow:
    1) Is SATA really faster for DVD-RW drives than IDE?
    2) Is there anyway to Inline/Series the (2) SATA DVD-RW drives, kinda like you do with IDE (Master/Slave)?
    3) Are there any SATA-->IDE reverse adaptors (not the opposite, I know those exist)?
    4) Based on the above answers, should I:
    • a) Get a PCI-E SATA RAID Card to Handle One of the RAID Arrays, and keep the DVD-RW drives as SATA? (although those are dang expensive, AND I don't know where that PCI Card is gonna fit - got an 8800gtx, PCI Slot-Cooler, Wifi card... an extra slot but no room down there)
    • b) Return the DVD-RW SATA drives and get (2) IDE DVD-RW drives?
    • Another option that won't require me spending a lot of money?
    Eesh, I'm kinda stuck on my build if I don't have a CD Drive to read from for Windows Install(I don't have any extra ones sittin around - and I want to install my RAID 5 Storage array right away)

Suggestions?*Confused BIOS sees DVD (sata) drive but Windows 10 does not. :confused:

surfsk8snow.jah, Dec 12, 2018
  3. GaryGurd Win User
    Lost SATA HDD and SATA DVD after Windows 10 update

I have lost a secondary SATA HDD and SATA DVD drive after a Fast Ring Windows 10 Build update. Both the missing drives are on the same SATA channel.

They DO show up in BIOS, but they do NOT show in either Windows Explorer or Windows Disk Management.

Was it the Windows 10 update that did this, or did they coincidently die?

What can I do to fix this? All of my personal data and backups are on the missing HDD. I have tried running 3rd party diagnostic tools, but they do not find the missing drives; neither SATA HDD or SATA DVD.

GaryGurd, Dec 12, 2018
  4. DaveM121 Win User

BIOS sees DVD (sata) drive but Windows 10 does not.

Lost SATA HDD and SATA DVD after Windows 10 update

Hi Gary,

It would be very unlikely that both drives have dies, this is more than likely the update that caused this.

This happens from time to time on the insider Program as you have basically signed up to beta test new Windows 10 releases . . .

Boot your system into BIOS and see if those drives are listed under System Information

While in BIOS if you have a setting for enabling and disabling SATA ports, check that those SATA ports are enabled . ..

DaveM121, Dec 12, 2018
Thema:

BIOS sees DVD (sata) drive but Windows 10 does not.

1. BIOS sees DVD (sata) drive but Windows 10 does not. - Similar Threads - BIOS sees DVD

2. Can't see DVD drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't see DVD drives: Hello:I have installed windows server 2016 essential and I can see my two DVD drives in Device Manager, however, they do not show up in file explorer. How do I fix this so that I can see the drives in file explorer, thanks, Allen...
  3. Can't see DVD drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't see DVD drives: Hello:I have installed windows server 2016 essential and I can see my two DVD drives in Device Manager, however, they do not show up in file explorer. How do I fix this so that I can see the drives in file explorer, thanks, Allen...
  4. reusing HDD - BIOS sees it, but Windows does not

in Windows 10 Gaming
    reusing HDD - BIOS sees it, but Windows does not: Got my SSD working with a fresh install of Windows, and wanted to use the 1.0TB HDD that was in there as a secondary data storage drive now. It was the main drive of the computer originally.So I have the 500GB SSD on SATA0, and I hooked the HDD up to SATA1. I have the BIOS...
  5. reusing HDD - BIOS sees it, but Windows does not

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    reusing HDD - BIOS sees it, but Windows does not: Got my SSD working with a fresh install of Windows, and wanted to use the 1.0TB HDD that was in there as a secondary data storage drive now. It was the main drive of the computer originally.So I have the 500GB SSD on SATA0, and I hooked the HDD up to SATA1. I have the BIOS...
  6. Lost SATA HDD and SATA DVD after Windows 10 update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Lost SATA HDD and SATA DVD after Windows 10 update: I have lost a secondary SATA HDD and SATA DVD drive after a Fast Ring Windows 10 Build update. Both the missing drives are on the same SATA channel. They DO show up in BIOS, but they do NOT show in either Windows Explorer or Windows Disk Management. Was it the Windows 10...
  7. Wins 10 does not see my dvd drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Wins 10 does not see my dvd drive: Crossed over Fri. and all went well,BUT for one thing the system does not see the drive..if you click hidden folders on Manager it shows up with the following the drive is not connected to the computer ( 45)....which i get a laugh from.It is not connected..buuuut..it reads it...
  8. SATA BIOS issues

SATA BIOS issues: I know it's not due to the operating system I'm having this issue but hoping I can get help. My BIOS won't detect more then 2 SATA devices connected to my motherboard. All devices work assuming they are the only two connected and also doesn't matter which 2 ports. Any help is...
  9. DVD/CD SATA drive not reading disks

DVD/CD SATA drive not reading disks: Since I upgraded to windows 10 my SATA DVD/CD RW will not work. I insert a disk the light come on showing it is reading. 2. when I click to dvd drive , appears a dialoge box stating "Insert Disk" . So I am unable to use and cd to read/install any of my software. Also I have...
  10. DVD/CD SATA drive not reading disks

DVD/CD SATA drive not reading disks: Since upgrading my SATA DVD/CD RW will not work. I insert a disk the light come on showing it is reading and than the drive opens and the pop up box appears stating "Insert Disk" . So I cannot install any of my software. I have read that a lot of people are having the same...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. hard drive shows in bios but not in windows

2. bios sees cd drive but windows doesnt

3. bios sees the drive but not in windows

4. dvd drive sata port on bios,
  5. bios sees drive windows 10 does not,
  6. bios shows ide drives but win10 does not,
  7. windows 10 does not recognice sata port,
  8. bios can see dvd but,
  9. bios sees hard drive but windows 10 does not,
  10. bios shows sata drives do not display in windows,
  11. win10 sata drive in bios but not in windows,