Windows 10: Bios set to boot from cd but still booting into ubuntu

Discus and support Bios set to boot from cd but still booting into ubuntu in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I want to reinstall windows 10 . To do this I set the bios to boot from CD. inserted win 10 disk then powered off and back on again but the pc... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by laceylou, Sep 5, 2017.

1. laceylou Win User

Bios set to boot from cd but still booting into ubuntu

I want to reinstall windows 10 . To do this I set the bios to boot from CD. inserted win 10 disk then powered off and back on again but the pc continues to boot into the Ubuntu dual boot grub menu. Please help.

:)

laceylou, Sep 5, 2017

2. Moving from Ubuntu Back to Windows on a Natively Windows Computer?

All you need to do is download the ISO manually in Ubuntu Linux:

Download Windows 10 Feature Update ISO Files Directly Using Your Web Browser

Use Brasero to burn it to a blank DVD:

How to Burn an ISO to a CD or DVD in Ubuntu · How to Ubuntu

Boot into your BIOS or UEFI firmware then disable Secure Boot:

Disabling Secure Boot - TechNet - Microsoft

Configure the BIOS to boot from the DVD:

BIOS/UEFI Setup Guide: Boot from a CD, DVD, USB Drive or SD
    Card

The follow the on screen instructions, delete all partitions:

How to: Perform a clean install of Windows 10

Andre Da Costa, Sep 5, 2017
  3. Windows 10 - scanning and repairing drive. Stuck at 51%

I was away for a few days and checking the posts now that I am back.

Go to the bios and see if it can see the Windows 10 disc. If it can, than select to boot from it. Did it boot?

If not, than try to burn a free Linux CD, like Ubuntu or puppy and see if it boots. If it does not boot, than some setting in the bios might be causing the problem or there is some other problem.

TomJeson64, Sep 5, 2017
  4. f14tomcat Win User

Not sure of your key sequence, but you may need to do what's called a "one-time" boot option. When restarting, repeatedly press the F12 key (may be F8 or F2), and you should get a BIOS boot menu. Look for the option to boot from DVD or CD or Optical Device. If it recognizes the CD/DVD, and you get a message "Press any key to boot from CD.....", you have 10 seconds to press a key, or it will revert to the hard disk.

f14tomcat, Sep 5, 2017
  5. laceylou Win User
    sorry, I should have mentioned that I got that message and immediately hit a key but it still booted into the grub menu

laceylou, Sep 5, 2017
  6. f14tomcat Win User
    I'm not familiar enough with dual-booting Windows and Linux. I do remember having problems with the Grub Boot menu and the Windows Boot menu trying to live peacefully together. There's a way to do what you want, I just don't know what it is. Sorry. Somebody will come along who's done this. Hang in there! *Smile TC

f14tomcat, Sep 5, 2017
  7. laceylou Win User
    thank you. After 7 hours my brain is fading a bit so I will try one more time and if that fails I will unplug the SSD disc that Ubuntu is installed on. I'm a bit out of touch with windows as over the past 7 years I have not used it very much apart from updating, checking anti virus plus tomtom drive to update my sat nav. Thank you for your help and encouragement I will plod on. Cheers

laceylou, Sep 5, 2017
  8. Hewjr100 Win User

Laceylou, is your system booting in EFI or Legacy Bios. Also what brand of computer do you have.

Henry

Hewjr100, Sep 6, 2017
  9. spunk Win User
    If you get the message to Press Any Key to Boot from CD/DVD and you pressed a key it should start to boot the disc, unless the disc is scratched, smudged or is not a bootable Disc etc. Unless you are using a wireless keyboard, then the keyboard may not be recognized at this stage, be sure to use a USB keyboard.
    If you can boot any other computer with this disc, then On another computer you can create an ISO Image of your Windows disc using IMGBurn, then you can burn the image to USB Flash drive with Rufus, both available in my signature. Once finished, put the USB Flash drive into the computer and boot into Setup (Bios) go to the Security tab, if Secure Boot is enabled, using your Enter and Arrow keys, Disable it or change it to Setup Mode. If UEFI Bios is enabled, change it to Legacy. Go to the Boot tab, move the USB Flash Drive to first boot device. Save and Exit. When you restart you should see the message press any key to boot from USB.

spunk, Sep 6, 2017
  10. Winuser Win User
    I don't know if this will help or not but it worked for me. I was trying to go back to Windows on a Acer laptop that I had installed Linux Mint. I was using a flash drive that was setup with Rufus. No matter what settings I used when I selected to boot from the flash drive Linux Mint kept loading. I then used Microsoft's Media Creation tool to make the flash drive install media. I was then able to run the Windows installer to delete the Linux and install Windows 10.

Winuser, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Bios set to boot from cd but still booting into ubuntu - Similar Threads - Bios set boot

2. Can't Access BIOS or Boot Menu After Dual-Booting Ubuntu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't Access BIOS or Boot Menu After Dual-Booting Ubuntu: Hey everyone,Uh oh, my dual-boot adventure didn't go quite as planned! I tried installing Ubuntu alongside Windows 10 on my laptop, but now I'm facing a triple whammy of problems: my BIOS isn't responding, the boot menu is nowhere to be found, and it looks like my Windows...
  3. Can't Access BIOS or Boot Menu After Dual-Booting Ubuntu

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't Access BIOS or Boot Menu After Dual-Booting Ubuntu: Hey everyone,Uh oh, my dual-boot adventure didn't go quite as planned! I tried installing Ubuntu alongside Windows 10 on my laptop, but now I'm facing a triple whammy of problems: my BIOS isn't responding, the boot menu is nowhere to be found, and it looks like my Windows...
  4. Can't Access BIOS or Boot Menu After Dual-Booting Ubuntu

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. About Boot bios setting

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    About Boot bios setting: Hello I had a problem with my bios setting… First it was showing reboot and select proper boot device then i changed my boot priorities…but it didn't work…so i changed it to default setting…but this time I accidentally changed my ‘launch video opRom policy' to do not...
  6. About Boot bios setting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    About Boot bios setting: Hello I had a problem with my bios setting… First it was showing reboot and select proper boot device then i changed my boot priorities…but it didn't work…so i changed it to default setting…but this time I accidentally changed my ‘launch video opRom policy' to do not...
  7. Windows boot drive showing as Ubuntu in BIOS.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows boot drive showing as Ubuntu in BIOS.: My Windows boot drive isn't showing properly in BIOS after using Ubuntu. I have a 240GB SSD with Windows installed and an external 1TB HDD with Ubuntu in it. So, i restarted my pc to log into Windows again, but the SSD was showing as being an Ubuntu boot drive. From there, it...
  8. bios still trying to boot from formatted drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    bios still trying to boot from formatted drive: I installed a new gen 4 nvme and did a fresh install of Windows 10, I then formatted the old ssd after transferring what I wanted to keep. Now when i turn on my PC it says theres two copies of Windows and wants me to choose one, obviously I can't choose the old version as the...
  9. Cannot boot into BIOS with F2 or boot from CD or USB flash drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot boot into BIOS with F2 or boot from CD or USB flash drive: For some unknown reason, for the past couple of days, I can only boot my ASUS X750JA laptop normally into Windows 10 (Home). Previously, after Shift+Restart, I used to be able to enter BIOS setup with F2. Now, whenever I try this, the screen remains black and nothing happens:...
  10. Ubuntu Boot option still available in UEFI BIOS after Dual Boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Ubuntu Boot option still available in UEFI BIOS after Dual Boot: Recently I played around with dual booting Linux Mint on my system. I decided that I would delete it for the present as I have other things to focus on. However, after deleting partitions and fixing my MBR to only boot windows my UEFI BIOS still has instances of Ubuntu as a...