Windows 10: BIOS setting and W7 to W10 Upgrade

Discus and support BIOS setting and W7 to W10 Upgrade in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm looking to help someone upgrade a fairly new desktop PC from Windows 7 to Windows 10 using the MCT method. When we installed Windows 7 on this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by TV2, Jan 2, 2020.

1. TV2
    TV2 Win User

BIOS setting and W7 to W10 Upgrade

I'm looking to help someone upgrade a fairly new desktop PC from Windows 7 to Windows 10 using the MCT method.

When we installed Windows 7 on this machine I recall going into the UEFI BIOS and changing the Boot > Safe Boot > OS Type setting from the default "Windows UEFI Mode" to "Other OS", as this was necessary for a successful install of Windows 7.

Question is: what should I do with this setting now that we are going to do the Upgrade?

Keep it as is to run W7 in order to start the upgrade process, then change it after the upgrade to Windows 10 is finished and activated?

Note: a clean install is not possible now since we need to get W10 activated on the Windows 7 license.

:)

2. BobiJoBJ Win User

W7 to W10 upgrade

I have tried to upgrade to W10 home premium from my 64-bit W7 home premium operating system on my laptop. I checked that I meet all requirements and have tried everything anyone ever suggested. I wasted 2 days in December 2015, and still failed.

I had no problem in March 2016 upgrading my desktop W7 Ultimate to W10, so I thought I might try again to upgrade my W7 home premium.

I have now wasted another 2 days in March trying to upgrade the laptop. Either it is a problem with my laptop that the Windows Update Trouble-Shooter does not find, or W7 Home Premium (64) will not upgrade to W10. I give up.

BobiJoBJ, Jan 2, 2020
  3. W7 access of W10 share

On my home network W10 systems can access shares on other W10 systems, and W10 can access W7 shares. However, when W7 tries to access a W10 share, it wants a network password. I give it the user/pswd I use to log in on the W10 but that doesn't help.

I found one place:
    https://www.thewindowsclub.com/cannot-access-shared-folder-windows
    that suggested setting HKLM...Lsa\restrictanonymous to 1
    but that didn't seem to help.

TIA!

Paul Kinzelman, Jan 2, 2020
  4. BIOS setting and W7 to W10 Upgrade

W7 to W10 upgrade

I am considering upgrading from my current w7 home premium 64 bit to w10 which is offered free.

Main reason due to w7 home premium only allowing me to use half of my 32gm of ram.

Simple question:

Will w7 home premium 64 bit upgrade to w10 home 64 bit?

jetmechnor, Jan 2, 2020
Thema:

BIOS setting and W7 to W10 Upgrade

1. BIOS setting and W7 to W10 Upgrade - Similar Threads - BIOS setting W10

2. Upgrading from W7 to W10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading from W7 to W10: I am currently running W7 on an SSD and want to upgrade to W10 on the same hardware. Is this possible? If so, anything special I need to do? I was unable to install the free upgrade when it was available because of the SSD. Thanks....
  3. upgrading w7 to w10

upgrading w7 to w10: hello, this not my first round of trying fix windows over the years. got a older toshiba laptop L755 had windows 7 home prem. i like window 10. stupid me thinking upgrade. what could go wrong ???? made a usb drive boot for window 10. put in the laptop to totally new...
  4. upgrading W7 to W10

upgrading W7 to W10: Hi. This will probably be a common question. My wife uses W7. Does not want W10. I have been told that I can copy my W10 from my PC to a USB stick and install W10 like that on to her Laptop.. Is this possible please. If so, is there any set proceedure like which files to...
  5. W7 or W10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    W7 or W10: Hi everyone, I have got W10 for a while. Now I have upgraded my PC. But, Lots of part of the motherboard / sound, graphic / can't work properly, because their drivers were writing for W7. Under W10 they just work on basic level. The issue about the compatibility makes lags...
  6. Upgrade W10 Edition with W7 key, possible?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrade W10 Edition with W7 key, possible?: Hello, I was sure I would be able to use W7 Pro OEM key I have spare to upgrade my W10 Home to Pro (preinstalled OEM OA), but when I try to change product key in Settings> Updates> Activation, the W7 key is refused with 0x004f210 error. Did I misunderstood the process or is...
  7. Trouble with W7 Pro to W10 upgrade

Trouble with W7 Pro to W10 upgrade: I'm trying to do an upgrade, but it keeps on stopping on this error: 0xC1900101-0x4000D. Can someone point me to a solution? 26379
  8. VIDEO: Upgrading W7 to W10 9926 (and rolled back to W7)

VIDEO: Upgrading W7 to W10 9926 (and rolled back to W7): For those who are thinking about upgrading from Win 7 to Win 10, here's how I did it. I upgraded WIn 7 to Win 10 and then I rolled it back to Win 7 again. Warning: 16mins video from start to finish (you can fast forward at will). Total upgrade and rollback time is about...
  9. Cannot upgrade from W7 to W10

Cannot upgrade from W7 to W10: Having a nightmare trying to do this. The PC has an SSD with C: and D: on. C: has Windows and programs that don't offer a choice of where to install, D: has my Lightroom Catalogue and programs which offer a choice. C: has 25.4 of 94.6 GN free, D: has 4.57 of 17GB free. It...
  10. W7-W10 Pro x64 Upgrade error

in Windows 10 Support
    W7-W10 Pro x64 Upgrade error: I updated my drivers and bios on my Dell E6230, then tried the update. I get the following error. [img] Can I get some direction on what to look for? Thanks. 35454