Windows 10: BIOS shuffled my boot order... suddenly!

Discus and support BIOS shuffled my boot order... suddenly! in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I was just turning my PC off for the moment and later on I turned it back on, just to be greeted with the message (and black screen) that the PC could... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by RingTailCoon, Jun 25, 2020.

1. BIOS shuffled my boot order... suddenly!

I was just turning my PC off for the moment and later on I turned it back on, just to be greeted with the message (and black screen) that the PC could not find the boot device. Huh? I changed NOTHING on my PC (asaik) and for one moment I had the scare of my life.

So I tapped after a reboot on F12 to fix the boot order, and the PC loaded happily into Windows. But after a reboot, the same thing. Could not find the BOOT device. OK. Step 2, getting into my BIOS. Looked at my boot order and yes. It was a mess. My SSD (not Windows) had traded placed with my HDD (Windows). They had been somehow been switched around. So, I fixed the order they were in, saved and exited outta there and since then Windows loaded up pretty nice again.

I use the Windows 10 2004 edition (may I call it that?) and just once I experienced this before.

But what could had happen that Windows decided to maul my BIOS in that way? There had to be a reason that Windows decide to place a non-startup disc as a boot disc?

Also looked at the log but I'm not that technical....

:)

RingTailCoon, Jun 25, 2020

2. Windows stuck in automatic repair; Can't access BIOS/ boot menu

I've changed the boot order through both BIOS and the boot manager, as my original post stated. Neither did anything, but both were functional in the past. Neither listed the windows boot manager, either. Previously, it would boot just as expected whenever
    other media was set as the first option, so I'm pretty sure there are no issues there.

As my original post suggested, I've already tried out the steps you gave. I've gone through all the options listed in the boot menu, UEFI or not.

My BIOS and boot menu settings were at their defaults when all of this started, so that's been tried already, if those are what you're referring to.

KierraMcCullough, Jun 25, 2020
  3. Bree Win User
    Boot order

If you cannot edit the boot order then that suggests the bios is locked. Enter the bios and look in the Security section, see if a bios User or Supervisor password has been set.

4. BIOS shuffled my boot order... suddenly!

Bios order of boot and UEFI

Hi there, what is the optimum order of "boot" you need to set the bios at for a quicker start-up? And where do you place the UEFI component in relation to the actual firmware in the order of boot? Thank you, Robert.

Robert G May, Jun 25, 2020
Thema:

BIOS shuffled my boot order... suddenly!

1. BIOS shuffled my boot order... suddenly! - Similar Threads - BIOS shuffled boot

2. Can't find boot priority order in bios menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't find boot priority order in bios menu: I got an SSDc installed in my laptop which is the main drive now with the os. I wanted to switch back to a different drived as main boot priority. I even migrated os from C to D successfully but, in the bios menu all I see is:Boot mode UEFIFast bootPXE Boot to lanIPV4 PXE...
  3. SSD working fine but not showing in bios boot order!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD working fine but not showing in bios boot order!: I have an Acer Predator Helios 300 laptop, and upgraded to a SSD last week. Installed Windows 10 on it through media tool via usb and now i can't seem to see it on my bios boot order except my HDD! Although i can still see it in the information tab. I need help...
  4. SSD working fine but not showing in bios boot order!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD working fine but not showing in bios boot order!: I have an Acer Predator Helios 300 laptop, and upgraded to a SSD last week. Installed Windows 10 on it through media tool via usb and now i can't seem to see it on my bios boot order except my HDD! Although i can still see it in the information tab. I need help...
  5. BSoD & boot order changes by itself in BIOS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSoD & boot order changes by itself in BIOS: Two issues happening at random times:BSoD"An operating system wasn't found" during startup. When I look into the BIOS, sometimes the boot priority changed by itself to the drive with no OS Samsung SSD 850 Pro 512GB , sometimes the hard drive with OS completely disappears...
  6. BSoD & boot order changes by itself in BIOS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSoD & boot order changes by itself in BIOS: Two issues happening at random times:BSoD"An operating system wasn't found" during startup. When I look into the BIOS, sometimes the boot priority changed by itself to the drive with no OS Samsung SSD 850 Pro 512GB , sometimes the hard drive with OS completely disappears...
  7. SSD not showing up in boot order in BIOS

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    SSD not showing up in boot order in BIOS: I have an SSD that I want to use as my boot drive. I recently cloned my 250GB HDD to my 240GB SSD with Macrium Reflect (I want to put the operating system on the SSD and use the HDD for storage of videos, large games, etc.) This SSD shows up in task manager, but when I go...
  8. Bios order of boot and UEFI

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Bios order of boot and UEFI: Hi there, what is the optimum order of "boot" you need to set the bios at for a quicker start-up? And where do you place the UEFI component in relation to the actual firmware in the order of boot? Thank you, Robert....
  9. BIOS Boot order

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    BIOS Boot order: No way, in the BIOS, to change Boot prioriy. I cannot use a CD to boot from in an emergency. How can this be done? Gigabyte laptop, Windows 10, 64. I cannot disable secure boot, the option will not highlite. 47197
  10. BIOS Boot order

in Windows 10 Support
    BIOS Boot order: I could not find an option under Boot Options, in the BIOS, of my P57W computer to boot off an optical or thumb drive. How the hell am I to boot off these devices when I cannot see them in the BIOS? Gigabyte documentation, or the lack thereof, SUCKS big time. I finally...