Windows 10: bios still trying to boot from formatted drive

Discus and support bios still trying to boot from formatted drive in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I installed a new gen 4 nvme and did a fresh install of Windows 10, I then formatted the old ssd after transferring what I wanted to keep. Now when i... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/SinglSrvngFrnd, Jul 13, 2020.

1. bios still trying to boot from formatted drive

I installed a new gen 4 nvme and did a fresh install of Windows 10, I then formatted the old ssd after transferring what I wanted to keep. Now when i turn on my PC it says theres two copies of Windows and wants me to choose one, obviously I can't choose the old version as the drive has been formatted. How to i get my bios to recognize that the old install is gone?

submitted by /u/SinglSrvngFrnd
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/SinglSrvngFrnd, Jul 13, 2020

2. Windows 10 will only boot if selected from the BIOS boot menu.

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

We understand the inconvenience you have experienced.

• You mean to say, every time you need to make changes to Boot Order in BIOS, to start your computer correctly?
    • What is the make and model of your computer?

I suspect that the problem might be due to outdated BIOS update
    or with Boot Configuration data. Suggest you to check for the latest BIOS update and Chipset drivers for your device hardware on Manufacturer website. If you find a new one, try to update the same to see if it correct
    the issue. If problem still persist, then I suggest to rebuild Boot Configuration Data to see if it makes any difference.

Let us try to repair your computer by creating a Windows 10 Bootable media (I.e. USB or DVD) using
    Media Creation Tool.
    Use your computer or some other connected to Internet for creating a Bootable media (Windows 10 ISO image file). Once you're ready with Bootable Media, follow the below mentioned
    steps.

• Insert the Windows installation disc in the disc drive or connect USB media, and then start the computer.
    • Press a key when the message Press any key to boot from CD or DVD appears.

If your PC does not detect the media automatically
      • During the restart process, read the screen for any instructions that explain how to interrupt normal startup and enter the basic input/output system (BIOS) setup utility. Most PCs use the F2, F10, ESC, or DEL key to begin the BIOS Setup.
      • Look for a tab in the BIOS Setup Utility that is labeled Boot Order,
        Boot Options, or Boot. Following the directions on the screen, use the arrow keys to go to the
        Boot Order, then press Enter.
      • Locate the CD, DVD, or USB flash drive (this might be called Removable Device) in the Boot list. Following the directions on the screen, use the arrow keys to move the drive up so that it appears first in the Boot list. Press Enter. The boot order
        sequence is now changed to boot from the CD, DVD, or USB flash drive.
      • Press F10 to save your changes and to exit the BIOS Setup Utility. Select Yes in the confirmation window. The PC will restart. Allow the PC to restart normally. The scan will take a few minutes and remove any malware that may be infecting your computer.
    • Select a language, a time, a currency, a keyboard or another input method, and then click Next.
    • Click Repair your computer.
    • Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click
      Next
    • On the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot. Select
      Advanced Options > Command Prompt
      under Advanced Options.
    • Type Bootrec /RebuildBcd, and then press
      ENTER.
      This command will rebuild boot configuration data if in case any issue with Boot files causing this issue.

Once you done with the above steps, see if the problem still persist.

Let us know how it went.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Jul 13, 2020
  3. NavyLCDR Win User
    Windows won't install on GPT formatted drive.

I had an HP laptop that had what I called hybrid UEFI. It had limited support for UEFI booting in that it would only boot the HP support tools as UEFI. The hard drive had to remain MBR partitioned, though, and the OS had to boot in legacy BIOS mode. I do not know if that applies to your ASUS laptop or not.

What are you attempting to install Windows 10 from? In order to install Windows 10 in UEFI mode onto a GPT partitioned drive, the Windows 10 installation media must be booting in UEFI mode as well. This is how to prepare a USB flash drive for booting. Note to format the partition on the flash drive as FAT32 to make it compatible with both legacy BIOS and UEFI:
    Create a Bootable USB Flash Drive

9. To format the partition, type format fs=fat32 quick, and then click ENTER.

For step 12 of the above procedure you will mount the downloaded Windows 10 ISO file and just copy all the files and folders from the mounted ISO file to the USB flash drive.

The flash drive created above will be bootable with both legacy BIOS and UEFI. To make the flash drive bootable ONLY in UEFI mode, skip step 10 of the procedure which marks the USB flash drive partition as active. You can toggle the active flag with diskpart (and third party partition apps). Active flag on - bootable by legacy BIOS or UEFI. No active flag - bootable by UEFI only.

1. Open Command Prompt (Admin).
    2. Type: diskpart
    3. At the DISKPART prompt, type: list disk (This command will list all the disks that you have)
    4. In the next prompt, type: select disk # ( # means the number of the disk which contain the wrong active partition )
    5. At the DISKPART prompt, type: list partition
    6. Use the command: select partition # (# means the number of the partition that you want to mark as active or not active)
    7. Inactive the active partition with command: inactive
    7a. To mark the partition as active, use the command: active

So, I would create the USB flash drive using the procedure above listed in the link to the Microsoft Technet, but skip step 10 - do not mark the partition as active. Then try to boot the computer from the USB flash drive. If your BIOS is not UEFI, then you will either get an error - no boot device, or you will get just a blinking cursor in the upper left corner of a black screen. In that case, mark the USB flash drive partition as Active and format your SSD with MBR partitioning.

NavyLCDR, Jul 13, 2020
  4. Fernandz Win User

bios still trying to boot from formatted drive

How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, Jul 13, 2020
Thema:

bios still trying to boot from formatted drive

1. bios still trying to boot from formatted drive - Similar Threads - bios still trying

2. Aptio bios not booting from USB Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Aptio bios not booting from USB Drive: I have a Dell Inspiron 14 and does not have any operating system. I have a usb with Windows 10 and there is no option to boot from usb. There is a option to boot a single file but not the whole usb....
  3. Aptio bios not booting from USB Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Aptio bios not booting from USB Drive: I have a Dell Inspiron 14 and does not have any operating system. I have a usb with Windows 10 and there is no option to boot from usb. There is a option to boot a single file but not the whole usb....
  4. Aptio bios not booting from USB Drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Drive Listed In BIOS But Will Not Boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drive Listed In BIOS But Will Not Boot: Computer would not shut downHeld down shift key while clicking on power/shutdownOn start up a repair screen came upTrouble shooting did not workSelected boot drive in BIOS nothingWhat can I do to find the problem?...
  6. OS drive is formatted to GPT, but still can't boot in UEFI mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OS drive is formatted to GPT, but still can't boot in UEFI mode: Pretty much the title, I formatted my SSD to GPT but I can only boot in legacy mode instead of UEFI. If I try to boot in UEFI it loads forever. If I boot in CSM it tries to repair it and I have to boot from hard drive. Then it tries to boot and gets a 0x000000f error. Then I...
  7. OS drive is formatted to GPT, but still can't boot in UEFI mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OS drive is formatted to GPT, but still can't boot in UEFI mode: Pretty much the title, I formatted my SSD to GPT but I can only boot in legacy mode instead of UEFI. If I try to boot in UEFI it loads forever. If I boot in CSM it tries to repair it and I have to boot from hard drive. Then it tries to boot and gets a 0x000000f error. Then I...
  8. OS drive is formatted to GPT, but still can't boot in UEFI mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  9. Formatting of boot drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Formatting of boot drive: Hey guys, so i tried to install windows the other day in my friend's laptop and to do so , i created an iso of my windows and created a boot drive of my sd card. This helped him to install it. But now when i was free after class, i inserted sd card in android and deleted...
  10. Bios set to boot from cd but still booting into ubuntu

in Windows 10 Support
    Bios set to boot from cd but still booting into ubuntu: I want to reinstall windows 10 . To do this I set the bios to boot from CD. inserted win 10 disk then powered off and back on again but the pc continues to boot into the Ubuntu dual boot grub menu. Please help. 92904