Windows 10: Bios Update Questions

Discus and support Bios Update Questions in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Dell xps 15 9550 Windows 10 Pro i5-6300hq processor 8gb ram 250gb ssd samsung hard drive. There is also a 32gb mini ssd hard drive that comes along... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by paulyjustin, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Bios Update Questions

Dell xps 15 9550

Windows 10 Pro
    i5-6300hq processor
    8gb ram
    250gb ssd samsung hard drive. There is also a 32gb mini ssd hard drive that comes along with it? Im not sure how to explain this.

But basically everything i download goes to my samsung ssd. I bought this laptop over 2.5 years ago in late 2016.

I checked my bios and this is what it says

Bios Version/Date Dell Inc. 01.00.07, 11/2/2015
    SMBIOS Version 2.8
    Embedded Controller Version 255.255

Someone mentioned my bios is from the middles ages and i have to update it. I never did anything with bios. At the moment, i have bitlocker enabled with tpm unlock. And the windows 10 password.

I'm told that first step i need to do is suspend bitlocker. That is all correct? I don't need to disable windows 10 password?

I'm told i need to

1. Suspend bitlocker

2. Download bios

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us...laptop/drivers

Click view more and scroll to Dell XPS 15 9550 System BIOS. Click on download.

3. Then once download is done, open the program. And let it do its things.

Can others confirm here this is the correct process? Also make sure i have a lot of battery in my laptop and make sure its charged when im doing this? I read that this takes about 5 minutes. But for someone who never did a bios update... could it be longer and if so how long?

When i do open bios and update it, there won't be questions i have to answer right? It will just do its thing? Then once its done... it would then restart and go to my windows 10 password login screen? That way i know that bios is updated correctly?

I want to make sure of this because i read that if there are issues with bios updating... your computer can get screwed. Again I never ever made a bios update ever.

:)

paulyjustin, Apr 21, 2019
  2. BAGZZlash Win User

MSI 5870 BIOS Update

Still can't reproduce. Could you please post the exact BIOSes that produce the issue?

BAGZZlash, Apr 21, 2019
  3. bios

Hi all i am new in this forum, i need meanings step by step of each item listed in the bios Phoenix-Award

central473, Apr 21, 2019
  4. Bios Update Questions

Should I update bios?

I would read the warranty before doing anything. If the manufacturer finds out you did something not on their approved list of steps,for example using a program they didn't list, or a bios, etc, they can treat your video card rma like you threw it against the wall , because if something goes wrong and you didn't follow their steps exactly ,it was damaged through human error and they're not likely going to be obligated to cover it warranty wise. I don't know for sure, I just advocate that you check first , and I also advocate that you verify that it's an actual update ,because very rarely do manufacturers release updates for gpu bios'. And they most certainly wont cover a GPU "update" if its a bios file written by some dude in the Ukraine, it has to be a set process, they have predetermined often.

jboydgolfer, Apr 21, 2019
Thema:

Bios Update Questions

1. Bios Update Questions - Similar Threads - Bios Update Questions

2. A question regarding BIOS

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    A question regarding BIOS: Hi , Good evening! I am having a problem with my windows 10 bios HP pavilion laptop. My bios doesnt have the advanced tab and whenever i follow a tutorial from google or YouTube it always plays a beep sound. Any help will be appreciated and please tell me how i can unlock the...
  3. Bios update question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bios update question: Hello, I have noticed each time I have updated my bios it registered an additional device to my MS account. I am wondering why as I have not changed my hardware, just updated the motherboard bios. IS this the fault of the motherboard manufacture or is it how MS perceives a...
  4. Bios update question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bios update question: Hello, I have noticed each time I have updated my bios it registered an additional device to my MS account. I am wondering why as I have not changed my hardware, just updated the motherboard bios. IS this the fault of the motherboard manufacture or is it how MS perceives a...
  5. Hardware question - No bios

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hardware question - No bios: About 3 months ago my pc suddenly stopped displaying the bios screen while booting up. The screen turns on but stays black until the system has fully booted up. Even when I try to go into recovery mode, the screen stays black. However, when I use HDMI instead of DisplayPort,...
  6. Hypothetical question - BIOS Update Interrupted.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Hypothetical question - BIOS Update Interrupted.: I heard BIOS updates are the riskiest kind of updates. Let's say I was updating my BIOS then something happens which makes the PC shut down unexpectedly. Will Windows need to be re-installed, or is the computer hosed and need physical maintenance?...
  7. Bios mode question

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bios mode question: I checked bios mode in system info after downloading the 20H2 upgrade and it says Legacy should it be saying UEFI instead? Thanks! *Confused 167746
  8. Bios Update Questions

in Windows 10 Support
    Bios Update Questions: Dell xps 15 9550 Windows 10 Pro i5-6300hq processor 8gb ram 250gb ssd samsung hard drive. There is also a 32gb mini ssd hard drive that comes along with it? Im not sure how to explain this. But basically everything i download goes to my samsung ssd. I bought this laptop...
  9. G11CD-K Bios Update Question

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    G11CD-K Bios Update Question: Hi All Noticed Asus posted a newer bios update, well when I go into Bios it doesn't see it on the flash drive, emailed them, they state to do this Fully Shutdown System Load backup Press Delete or F2 to Enter Bios Then F9 to Load optimized defaults then F10 To save...
  10. Questions about bios updating

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Questions about bios updating: Can anyone show me a detailed way to update my bios? [img] 59784