Windows 10: BIOS won't recognise my new or old SSD boot drive

Discus and support BIOS won't recognise my new or old SSD boot drive in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi, I've got a problem where my BIOS won't recognise my new or old SSD boot drive. My laptop currently has two hard drives in it: a 500Gb SSD (OS... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by sirithaniel, Jun 5, 2021.

1. BIOS won't recognise my new or old SSD boot drive

Hi, I've got a problem where my BIOS won't recognise my new or old SSD boot drive. My laptop currently has two hard drives in it: a 500Gb SSD (OS Drive/C Drive) and a 2Tb HDD (data drive only). My OS Drive had been running out of space and I wanted to upgrade it to a bigger version so I purchased a 2Tb SSD. I used Macrium Reflect Free to clone the 500Gb SSD drive with the new 2Tb SSD connected via a USB 3.0 hard drive dock. This seemed to go well and after Macrium had completed the process, the new drive was visible in windows and folder structure looked to have been replicated exactly. I powered down my laptop, opened it up and replaced the old SSD drive with the new one from the dock. I powered my laptop back up into BIOS mode but only the old data drive was visible. So I thought ok this is what the Macrium rescue disk I created is for. So I shut down and booted from the rescue disk. I clicked on Fix Windows Boot Problems but no disks appear in the subsequent pop-up dialogue box. So I thought ok start again. So I powered down and switched the SSD's again to put my old one back in. But now the BIOS doesn't recognise my old SSD either! So now I don't know what to do. I tried accessing the SSD via the dock on a different pc to check if the drive got corrupted somehow but the drive is accessible and all files and folders still appear intact and as they were immediately after the clone process. This is the video I followed up to the 12 minute mark where instead of rebooting and going straight into BIOS, I powered down my laptop and switched the hard drives around as I wasn't sure if I would be able to set the new SSD as boot drive while the old drive was still in the laptop and the new one was docked via USB: UPDATE: Using Macrium Reflect Free to Clone Windows to a Bootable M.2 SSD - YouTube I followed all applicable previous steps for cloning to a larger capacity drive including cloning and re-ordering of partitions and allocation of disk space. I only have 2 internal hard drive ports and one is already in use with a data HDD. What can I do?

:)

sirithaniel, Jun 5, 2021

2. BIOS won't recognise my new or old SSD boot drive

Hi,

I've got a problem where my BIOS won't recognise my new or old SSD boot drive.

My laptop currently has two hard drives in it: a 500Gb SSD (OS Drive/C Drive) and a 2Tb HDD (data drive only). My OS Drive had been running out of space and I wanted to upgrade it to a bigger version so I purchased a 2Tb SSD.*Smile

I used Macrium Reflect Free to clone the 500Gb SSD drive with the new 2Tb SSD connected via a USB 3.0 hard drive dock. This seemed to go well and after Macrium had completed the process, the new drive was visible in windows and folder structure looked to have been replicated exactly.

I powered down my laptop, opened it up and replaced the old SSD drive with the new one from the dock. I powered my laptop back up into BIOS mode but only the old data drive was visible. *Huh

So I thought ok this is what the Macrium rescue disk I created is for. So I shut down and booted from the rescue disk. I clicked on Fix Windows Boot Problems but no disks appear in the subsequent pop-up dialogue box.

So I thought ok start again. So I powered down and switched the SSD's again to put my old one back in. But now the BIOS doesn't recognise my old SSD either! So now I don't know what to do.*Sad

I tried accessing the SSD via the dock on a different pc to check if the drive got corrupted somehow but the drive is accessible and all files and folders still appear intact and as they were immediately after the clone process.

This is the video I followed up to the 12 minute mark where instead of rebooting and going straight into BIOS, I powered down my laptop and switched the hard drives around as I wasn't sure if I would be able to set the new SSD as boot drive while the old drive was still in the laptop and the new one was docked via USB:

I followed all applicable previous steps for cloning to a larger capacity drive including cloning and re-ordering of partitions and allocation of disk space.

I only have 2 internal hard drive ports and one is already in use with a data HDD.

What can I do?

sirithaniel, Jun 5, 2021
  3. New windows 10 installtion on New SSD - wont boot unless old SSD present

It seems you installed Windows while the both SSDs were connected. This would have caused your current problem. Maybe it is sufficient to do this:

1. Launch the Disk Manager.
    2. Right-click drive C:, then mark it as "active".
    3. Shut down Windows
    4. Open the BIOS and tell it that the new SSD is the primary boot device.
    5. Disconnect the old SSD.
    6. Boot up normally.

If this does not work then you might have to do this:

1. Disconnect the old SSD.
    2. Re-install Windows on the new SSD, using the Media Creation Tool.

Frederik Long, Jun 5, 2021
  4. DaveM121 Win User

BIOS won't recognise my new or old SSD boot drive

New SSD wont boot

Hi John

Boot into BIOS, is SATA Mode set to AHCI to enable booting from an SSD drive?

Is the SSD drive set a top of the Boot Priority list?

Did you try connecting that SSD to the SATA Port normally used by your old HDD?

DaveM121, Jun 5, 2021
Thema:

BIOS won't recognise my new or old SSD boot drive

1. BIOS won't recognise my new or old SSD boot drive - Similar Threads - BIOS won't recognise

2. Cloned old NVME ssd to new NVME ssd, new ssd won't boot windows. Get stop code inaccessible...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cloned old NVME ssd to new NVME ssd, new ssd won't boot windows. Get stop code inaccessible...: So, I cloned my old nvme SSD to my new one. I only had one slot and the old drive was only about 120 gb with the new one being about 1tb. Everything cloned over fine, the OS, etc. It's just it keeps trying to locate the old drive C instead of the new one E. Disk 2 is the old...
  3. Windows won't boot from my new ssd

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows won't boot from my new ssd: I got a new ssd and cloned my old ssd(boot drive) to my new one. My computer wouldn't want to use it as a default boot drive so I booted windows on a disc and repaired the mrb but it still doesn't work. Does anyone else have any ideas and what to do next? submitted by...
  4. SSD is not recognised by Win10 (or BIOS) every now and then.

SSD is not recognised by Win10 (or BIOS) every now and then.: Hey guys, I have just had a WD SSD put into my laptop. It is not the M2 drive, but a secondary SSD. Every now and then ....it is not recognised. It is not even in Disk Management. I have changed the SATA mode selection to ACHI and reinstalled Win10. I thought that the...
  5. Unable to boot my new computer with my old drive .

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to boot my new computer with my old drive .: Hope you guys can help Have just updated my old computer with a new M/B, GPU, CPU & Ram. Put in my old SSD which has win 10 installed with all my programs, when I went to boot up my computer it went straight to uefi bios & settings say there is no boot device, although it...
  6. External Drive won't be Recognised

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External Drive won't be Recognised: My external drive is not being recognised in File Explorer and in Disk Management. The disk gets power from the computer and in the Device Manager the disk can be seen connected....
  7. My Hard Drive is visible in BIOS but won't boot.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My Hard Drive is visible in BIOS but won't boot.: I get this specific error: This Product is covered by one or more of the following patents: US6,570,884, US6,115,776, and US6,327,625 Realtek.......... I've researched about this error and people mostly say that the hard drive won't boot and the computer is trying to boot...
  8. M2 won't boot if old SSD drive removed!

M2 won't boot if old SSD drive removed!: I upgraded my motherboard from Intel to a Ryzen and decided to do a cleanup of my drives as well. I still had my old SSD 120G which I no longer use so I formatted it then removed it as I wanted to upgrade the MD later that week! Next morning tried to boot and nothing not even...
  9. SSD recognised as hard drive

SSD recognised as hard drive: I have an SSD for my C drive and Windows tells me it's a hard drive, I know it's not because I can see it sitting inside my PC. I ran "winsat formal" in cmd twice and that did not fix it. windows also wants me to "optimise" it. so what do I do?...
  10. Win 10 installed on new SSD, still boots from old drive.

Win 10 installed on new SSD, still boots from old drive.: Ill try and be short and specific: -I installed win 10 on a spanking new SSD. -I did not unistall or do any changes to my win 7 installation my old SSD. -Installation went fine. *Party -I get an option to boot win 10 or win 7 every time i boot. This annoys me. *Mad...