Windows 10: Bios won't use EFI System image to restore backup

Discus and support Bios won't use EFI System image to restore backup in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I'm trying to upgrade my ssd. I have a system image, but it's an EFI system image. when I try and run the backup/restore from a windows bootable usb, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by krayzeedude111 Freestone, May 25, 2023.

1. Bios won't use EFI System image to restore backup

I'm trying to upgrade my ssd. I have a system image, but it's an EFI system image. when I try and run the backup/restore from a windows bootable usb, I get an error saying the restore failed because Bios can't/won't run an EFI file. How can I get this to work?

:)

krayzeedude111 Freestone, May 25, 2023

2. [SOLVED] Windows System Backup USB Restore is Not EFI Bios compatible.

original post here:

Redirecting

answers.microsoft does Not allow to Edit title or post after x months...

Anyway....

found a solution...

problem was that Win8.1 was originally installed in a BIOS board from 2010, X58 chipset,

that does Not have EFI.

EFI became popular in 2013

EFI is required for large 8TB drives,

booting from M.2 NVMe....

EFI is a must have...

there is an EFI emulator bootloader for older boards, but thats another story...

BIOS board boots to USB emulator, and from USB EFI emulator boots to M.2 NVMe drive with EFI boot partition.

problem was that my Win8.1 was installed in a BIOS machine, and had BIOS only Boot partition.

Windows8.1 allows to install Bios, EFI or Both in Boot partition.

when moving Windows to a new drive using the Windows USB Recovery tool,

does Not allow to move,

IF Windows USB Recovery is booted in a EFI machine, and the source Windows HDD has BIOS boot partition.

Easy fix...

boot Windows USB Recovery in a BIOS machine or New machine in Legacy BIOS mode,
    if moving windows from hdd to another hdd or ssd

or...

boot Microsoft Recovery USB in any machine EFI or BIOS,

go to command line,

list, select and delete the BIOS boot partition only, in Diskpart

it´s less than 500MB size, usually 1st on the drive, easy to see...

leave the other large partition untouched,

create a New boot partition to replace the deleted boot partition, with

option /EFI or /ALL "Bios+EFI"

/ALL does Not seem to work in MacPro 4,1 5,1 2009 2010 2012

need to do more tests.

Mac has EFI, but Windows boots ok with a Bios Boot partition.

Anyway...

Old HDD with New EFI boot partition, does Not boot in old BIOS board.

requires EFI usb boot emulator.

or...

a New board with Native EFI support.

old boards can boot much faster with NVMe

using EFI boot emulator,

and moving Windows8.1 to M.2 NVMe drive

with a M.2 to PCIe card from startech, abracon, syba, owc, sonnet, highpoint, etc....

1600MB/s speed minimum, with TLC or MLC, Not QLC

2500MB/s if PCIe card has a chip AS####

card with chip is much more $$$,

standard PCIe to M.2 is less than $30usd.

with chip it´s from $200usd. to $1000usd.

depending on the amount of M.2 slots on the card:

2xM2 or 4xM2, 8xM2

if PCIe v3.0 or PCIe v4.0

etc...

HDD with Windows8.1x64 can be moved to a New SSD or M.2

using the Microsoft USB Recovery tool very safe..

M.2 NVMe drive requires to delete the old Bios boot partition and create a New EFI boot partition.

DONE..

P.D.

Legal OEM Windows, can only be activated 1x time...
    Boxed Full Retail version or Microsoft Store Purchased full virtual full license
    can be moved as many times as you want..
    can be Re Activated unlimited times in different boards, 1 at a time,
    but Only with different Hardware.
    cannot be forced to be Re Activated with same Hardware.
    unless you Change Product Key in System,

risking Windows install.

required steps:

Windows System Image Backup & Restore works flawless, BUT... Not easy...

Requires:
    1x USB drive 2GB or more 4GB, 8GB, maybe 1GB works.
    1x HDD empty Backup drive: 1TB 2.5" 5400rpm works ok SATA-III or USB3.0
    1x Empty New Target Disk: my case was: Seagate ST1000LM049 2.5" 1TB 7200rpm.
    1x source system disk, my case: WD 500GB 2.5" 7200rpm.

Source hdd must be removed Before booting from USB Windows Restore boot drive.

to create the Backup of Windows,

to create the USB recovery drive

W8.1:

click:
    Control Panel / System Security / File History / System Image Backup / Create a System Image Backup
    to 1TB or more external USB3.0 HDD formatted in NTFS.

them click:

Restore / Create a Restore USB drive.

in a empty USB 1GB or more drive / pen / usb stick.

Limits:

1. if Source hdd with Windows was installed in a BIOS board,

USB System Restore Does Not work in EFI Board.

Option A)

find an old BIOS board with SATA-III 6Gbps

to do the transfer from HDD to SSD only, No M.2.

or...

Option B)

Diskpart in USB recovery command line

list, select and delete the BIOS boot partition, 500MB size or less

do Not Clean the HDD, i repeat:

do Not type Clean, Never,

Clean will erase everything.

after deleting the old Bios Boot partion,

create a New partition with /EFI or /ALL "EFI+BIOS dual boot"

2. Target disk must be disk0 = you need to move sata cables turned off or Bios options, reboot as needed,

thats why source HDD must be removed before, and is better to backup windows to external USB3.0 drive.

3. Target disk must be: Clean,

> Diskpart in command line from USB Windows Recovery drive.

4. Target disk must be selected before executing: Clean command.

> Diskpart list disk
    select disk0
    list partition
    select partition 1
    list volume
    Clean
    exit

Option B:
    EaseUS Migrate OS feature from Partition Master 15.0 looks easy,
    but Not Free $$$.
    looks more simple,

probably has same Bios / EFI problem,
    Does Not require USB drive and 1x extra Backup HDD.
    *More Risky.

Haven´t tested.

EaseUS Disk Copy is very bad, but Partition Master 15.0 is very good,

better that Windows Disk Management.

gparted usb boot drive nor windows usb recovery drive is Not required to Clean drives "hidden partitions".

the only strange thing is that NTFS formatted with Gparted has smaller hidden system files 100MB, vs. Partition Master 15.0 NTFS formatted drive has 200MB hidden system files..
    maybe gparted creates an older NTFS version.

Conclusion;
    Windows8.1x64 is working flawless now,

Long Live Windows8.1x64

there are YouTube videos explaining how to create a EFI boot partition using the Windows USB recovery drive.

in command line.

JuanPC2002, May 25, 2023
  3. The system image was created on a computer using BIOS (EFI) and this computer is using EFI (BIOS)".

When I created a System Image for backup and tryed to restore the system Image, I received the following warning and the restoration failed.

"Windows cannot restore a system image to a computer that has different firmware.

The system image was created on a computer using BIOS and this computer is using EFI".

I also get the following opposite message on the same computer:

""Windows cannot restore a system image to a computer that has different firmware.

The system image was created on a computer using EFI and this computer is using BIOS".

These conflicting errors occur on the same computer when System Image restoration is done by using System Repair disc or Windows installation USB stick.

I want to know what determines EFI or BIOS for the computer used for System Image creation and restoration

I now make every disk use GPT (EFI) partitioning.

Microsoft Windows 10 Home installed by using the installation software provided by Mcrosoft makes the installed disk BIOS if the partition where Windows is stored is created by using the Microsoft installation software. In order to make the disk GPT, we must make the disk GPT before Windows installation. This can be done by using Disk Management. I create the partition where Windows is installed at this time.

The errors mentioned above still occurs depending on the System Repair DVD or Windows installation USB stick which can be used for System Image restoration.

ToshimiMinoura, May 25, 2023
  4. JimGager Win User

Bios won't use EFI System image to restore backup

error when trying to restore a system image backup. It says backup was created with BIOS and this system is EFI will not restore

I had a processor fail causing my MBR to be corrupted. I did not have an SRD for this system. I downloaded Windows 10 Pro 64 bit from your site. I have a good backup of the system but version 1809 of Windows will not perform a system image restore. I download
    windows 10 Pro 64 bit version 1803 to resolve the restore problem. Now what I get is an error message sayin Windows cannot restore a system image to a computer that has different firmware. The system image was created on a computer using BIOS and this computer
    is using EFI. Please help me get my original files restored. Thank you.

JimGager, May 25, 2023
Thema:

Bios won't use EFI System image to restore backup

1. Bios won't use EFI System image to restore backup - Similar Threads - Bios won't EFI

2. System image restore failed due to EFI-BIOS conflict

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System image restore failed due to EFI-BIOS conflict: Please help:I was using a 1T SATA HDD as the system disk on a computer that has a 1T SS HDD.I made an image disk and tried to restore it into the SS HDD to make it the system disk, but got the following error:"The system image restore failed.Windows cannot restore a system...
  3. System image restore failed due to EFI-BIOS conflict

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System image restore failed due to EFI-BIOS conflict: Please help:I was using a 1T SATA HDD as the system disk on a computer that has a 1T SS HDD.I made an image disk and tried to restore it into the SS HDD to make it the system disk, but got the following error:"The system image restore failed.Windows cannot restore a system...
  4. System image restore failed due to EFI-BIOS conflict

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Bios won't use EFI System image to restore backup

Bios won't use EFI System image to restore backup: I'm trying to upgrade my ssd. I have a system image, but it's an EFI system image. when I try and run the backup/restore from a windows bootable usb, I get an error saying the restore failed because Bios can't/won't run an EFI file. How can I get this to work?...
  6. Bios won't use EFI System image to restore backup

Bios won't use EFI System image to restore backup: I'm trying to upgrade my ssd. I have a system image, but it's an EFI system image. when I try and run the backup/restore from a windows bootable usb, I get an error saying the restore failed because Bios can't/won't run an EFI file. How can I get this to work?...
  7. The system image was created on a computer using BIOS EFI and this computer is using EFI BIOS".

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The system image was created on a computer using BIOS EFI and this computer is using EFI BIOS".: When I created a System Image for backup and tryed to restore the system Image, I received the following warning and the restoration failed. "Windows cannot restore a system image to a computer that has different firmware. The system image was created on a computer using BIOS...
  8. The system image was created on a computer using BIOS EFI and this computer is using EFI BIOS".

The system image was created on a computer using BIOS EFI and this computer is using EFI BIOS".: When I created a System Image for backup and tryed to restore the system Image, I received the following warning and the restoration failed. "Windows cannot restore a system image to a computer that has different firmware. The system image was created on a computer using BIOS...
  9. The system image was created on a computer using BIOS EFI and this computer is using EFI BIOS".

10. System image restore EFI & BIOS conflict

System image restore EFI & BIOS conflict: I created my system restore image on the computer I'm now using a Dell 1525. The original hard drive with this computer was 80 gig and I upgraded to a 180 gig. My BIOS recognized the 180 gig hard drive but Windows did not, therefore my computer was still slow I just...