Windows 10: BirLocker

Discus and support BirLocker in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; This evening I started my laptop and got a blue screen requesting I enter a recovery key. I followed instructions on how to retrieve that on my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by d.davidson, Nov 23, 2020.

1. BirLocker

This evening I started my laptop and got a blue screen requesting I enter a recovery key. I followed instructions on how to retrieve that on my business computer and successfully retrieved it. I entered the number, then the viscous circle begins. I get another blue screen after a few seconds: Automatic Repair which gives me 2 options, Restart or Advanced options. When I select Restart, the screen goes dark, the Dell logo appears for about 5-10 seconds, then I'm back at the BitLocker screen. I've chosen the Advanced option several times which offers 3 options; Exit and continue to Windows 10, Troubleshoot or Turn off the PC. I have tried everything, including a full reset. Can't get there. Any suggestions?

:)

d.davidson, Nov 23, 2020
  2. DMuela Win User

Surface Pro 4 upgrade fail - Automatic Repair

1. Can I create the USB recovery drive form other device (My surface doesn't work......) and used it on my Surface?

2. I have a USB with Windows 10 I try to use it to reinstall Windows, but when I go to the partitions I can't use the partition because it says that Birlocker is active....

DMuela, Nov 23, 2020
  3. Windows 10 couldn't be installed - 80004005-20004

Hi TMerrick:

Thanks for the update - glad this helped you (and some others).

I sure wish I knew more about what these partitions mean. Microsoft is not helping - I have not heard a thing from anyone that knows what this all about (in my opinion they are doing all of us a disservice and really should be ashamed of themselves).

Anyhow - I do not pretend to be an expert. I just read what I could on the WEB. What I think is that the 100 Mb partition (labeled boot?) is what Windows uses to do 'boot' things. I did read that it is necessary if you are going to use BirLocker on an encrypted
    disk. Evidently you can do without this partition in "normal" systems (I kept that partition though).

As for the 10 Gb partition - mine is also left Un-allocated at the beginning of the HD. As the HD is a 320 Gb drive - and as my wife does little with her laptop (she is using ~40 Gb) I just left it alone.

I was planning to install a SSD and upgrade her system from 32-bits to 64-bits via a clean install with an ISO disk. So I really did not see any reason to recover the 10 Gbs.

I am not an expert with any of the disk partition programs (I even forget which one I used to delete the original recovery partition - it was on the WEB and free for evaluation purposes). But I would guess that one of them might do the job. I just have no
    experience at that - you might check around.

So - I really can not much more. My wife is now happily using Windows 10 and hardy notices any difference over her Win 7 SP1 OS.

PS - I did NOT have to disable her Avast anti-virus program to do the install. Others seem to require a disable - I did not (just luck?).

Bruce Andrews, Nov 23, 2020
Thema:

BirLocker