Windows 10: Bitdefender vs Norton - distinction without a difference?

Discus and support Bitdefender vs Norton - distinction without a difference? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; The yesterday question about password manager led me to today's question about system security... I'm looking for system security that works, without... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by GracieAllen, Jan 9, 2021.

1. Bitdefender vs Norton - distinction without a difference?

The yesterday question about password manager led me to today's question about system security...

I'm looking for system security that works, without requiring babysitting, a multitude of different packages (I looked at what some of y'all are running and it seems extreme), simple to setup and use, etc...

I've had Bitdefender Antivirus for the last year. It seems to work, and not be a big bother. Not glamorous or anything but adequate. I keep hearing Norton 360 is "awesome", so when it came due, I switched. Several "interesting" things have happened on the computers since the switch, all involving more time and babysitting than I liked. I'm considering going back to Bitdefender to the Total Security, but, here's where you folks who are much more literate than I come in...

Of THOSE TWO, Noron 360 Deluxe vs Bitdefender Total Security - are there substantive differences between them that are significant pointers to one or the other? Norton has a VPN. They don't SAY whether there are limits on it or not. Bitdefender has a VPN but it MAY have a 200MB/day limit - other places it says "unlimited". I THINK both have some cloud storage - that varies where you look too. Even on their own websites.
    I PRESUME both will work to stop malware and such. Norton has a bunch of stuff you put on your browsers. the Bitdefender we were using (antivirus) didn't seem to have a bunch of stuff in the way of how you browse but did periodically yell about some website.
    SO, is there ONE or more SIGNIFICANT difference between the two that makes one CLEARLY superior? And unless it's Bitdefender, it's definitely not going to be phone support - I got to experience Norton's this morning... Painful.

:)

GracieAllen, Jan 9, 2021
  2. Vijay B Win User

BitDefender missing

Hi,

Thank you for being a part of Windows 10.

As an initial troubleshooting step, I would suggest you to search for BitDefender in the search next to start. If you are not able to find and if you have BitDefender CD/DVD, then I would suggest you to re-install BitDefender.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any other issues with Windows in future.

Vijay B, Jan 9, 2021
  3. Bitdefender Internet Security vs. Norton Internet Security

I've had problems with my system after Norton patches that require a restart and Windows 10 Updates that require a restart. When a restart is required after one of these two types of updates the system will somtimes display the Windows logo and then the logo would go away and all I would see is a black screen with a rotating circle of white dots and that's where the system would hang. Sometimes I would have to press the power button and restart the laptop several times before it would get past the black screen and the circle of rotating dots. In addition I've had to uninstall and reinstall Norton 2 times on this laptop on recent months. The first time Windows 10 said the version of Norton I had installed was incompatible with Windows 10. The last time I had to reinstall was a week ago after a patch where Control Panel said that Norton was installed but I had no icons and no record of the app in the system tray or in the applications list when you pressed the start button.. After the most recent uninstall/reinstall things seemed to stabilized but startups were still sluggish. I posted a query about this condition on another forum and the response that I received led me to believe that all of the issues I was having was due to Norton as this person has the same issues and resolved them by removing Norton. Today, just for grins, I again uninstalled Norton on my laptop and installed the 30 day trial of Bitdefender and at this point I'm not sure if it's wishful thinking or reality but it seems that my startups are no longer sluggish and overall system performance seems better. This is one reason why I want to know what others are seeing regarding the difference between Bitdefender and Norton in terms of performance. If it is true that my system is not as sluggish as before and Bitdefender performs equally as well as Norton for Virus preventions, anti-spam, anti-malware, and keeping my inbox clean I might make the switch permanent and also replace Norton on my desktop PC that does not seem to have the problems my laptop is having

ChrisJordan, Jan 9, 2021
  4. moondoggy Win User

Bitdefender vs Norton - distinction without a difference?

Bitdefender Internet Security vs. Norton Internet Security

Let me ask this question a different way. Has anyone noticed any problems with Norton running on laptops? Since the November release of Windows 10 I've noticed that my laptop takes forever to boot and once booted it takes forever for it to be usable as it's busy loading stuff. I've also had problems with my system after Norton patches that require a restart and Windows 10 Updates that require a restart. When a restart is required after one of these two types of updates the system will somtimes display the Windows logo and then the logo would go away and all I would see is a black screen with a rotating circle of white dots and that's where the system would hang. Sometimes I would have to press the power button and restart the laptop several times before it would get past the black screen and the circle of rotating dots. In addition I've had to uninstall and reinstall Norton 2 times on this laptop on recent months. The first time Windows 10 said the version of Norton I had installed was incompatible with Windows 10. The last time I had to reinstall was a week ago after a patch where Control Panel said that Norton was installed but I had no icons and no record of the app in the system tray or in the applications list when you pressed the start button.. After the most recent uninstall/reinstall things seemed to stabilized but startups were still sluggish. I posted a query about this condition on another forum and the response that I received led me to believe that all of the issues I was having was due to Norton as this person has the same issues and resolved them by removing Norton. Today, just for grins, I again uninstalled Norton on my laptop and installed the 30 day trial of Bitdefender and at this point I'm not sure if it's wishful thinking or reality but it seems that my startups are no longer sluggish and overall system performance seems better. This is one reason why I want to know what others are seeing regarding the difference between Bitdefender and Norton in terms of performance. If it is true that my system is not as sluggish as before and Bitdefender performs equally as well as Norton for Virus preventions, anti-spam, anti-malware, and keeping my inbox clean I might make the switch permanent and also replace Norton on my desktop PC that does not seem to have the problems my laptop is having..

moondoggy, Jan 9, 2021
Thema:

Bitdefender vs Norton - distinction without a difference?

1. Bitdefender vs Norton - distinction without a difference? - Similar Threads - Bitdefender Norton distinction

2. Location problems tinder.com vs Norton Antivirus

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Location problems tinder.com vs Norton Antivirus: I recently installed Norton Antivirus, and afterwards, Tinder.com stopped working on my Windows 10 computer, regardless of browser. It seems Tinder cannot access my location, despite giving Tinder.com access to my location, and despite, being a paying member of Tinder,...
  3. Bitdefender

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitdefender: I have Bitdefender - can windows security be on too? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/bitdefender/8402e31d-fd6d-4f5e-adc0-d55ed4c93d21
  4. Windows 10 Pro (Bitlocker) vs. Norton Antivirus

Windows 10 Pro (Bitlocker) vs. Norton Antivirus: Will Windows 10 Pro provide the same or better security than Norton or other similar anti-virus softwares? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-pro-bitlocker-vs-norton-antivirus/8ee204e1-7b64-4ff6-a4f2-8cd3b20eaab5"
  5. NORTON Security vs Windows Defender

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    NORTON Security vs Windows Defender: I am a Windows 10 OS user. Quite happy with it's performance. However, since the very recent update 1903, I am facing slowing down of my system. I am not an IT expert but a learned user. I am being advised to remove the Norton Security system, which is a licensed version...
  6. Windows Defender vs. Norton Security Suite

Windows Defender vs. Norton Security Suite: Good morning all! I'm a few weeks into Windows 10. I uninstalled Norton Security Suite (free from Comcast) to install the upgrade. Windows Defender is doing its thing (I'm sure), but now I'm looking for thoughts on these two AV programs that are both available free to me....
  7. Bitdefender

Bitdefender: I have eliminated BitDefender, and now it sometimes appears me the error message that I attach. What is it? What does he/she want to say? How do I do to eliminate him/it? Thanks 99927
  8. Qustion: Norton 2016 Vs. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

Qustion: Norton 2016 Vs. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware: Hello. I got a lifetime sub. for Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) and i also have a sub. for Norton 2016. Now, can i get rid of Norton and only use MBAM and still be completely safe from viruses? (as safe as i can be with a Anti Virus). On Malwarebytes web page they...
  9. Bitdefender Internet Security vs. Norton Internet Security

Bitdefender Internet Security vs. Norton Internet Security: I would like to get some opinions regarding Bitdefender Internet Security vs. Norton Internet Security. I've been around computers a long time and I know that every time you turn around there's a new "king of the hill" when it comes to Security Software so I realize that...
  10. Norton Security & Anti Virus vs Webroot Internet secutity

Norton Security & Anti Virus vs Webroot Internet secutity: Any one have an opinion on these security programs. I have an older computer being repaired by the Geek squad and the technician recommended Webroot over Norton. I am presently using Norton. The packaging for the Webroot does not say anything about virus protection. I checked...