Windows 10: Bitlocker a valid usb key was not detected - how to remove a .vhdx

Discus and support Bitlocker a valid usb key was not detected - how to remove a .vhdx in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; I discovered a .vhdx within OneDriveTemp. Probably I have created a test drive in the past(?) I don't know.Regretfully I am not able to open it. As I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by tfwul, Jul 19, 2020.

1. tfwul Win User

Bitlocker a valid usb key was not detected - how to remove a .vhdx

I discovered a .vhdx within OneDriveTemp. Probably I have created a test drive in the past(?) I don't know.Regretfully I am not able to open it. As I never used it, I believe I won't miss it either. Such a .vhdx file on OneDrive is useless anyhow: it would take ages to sync.

Now, I am considering to delete it. In view of the size, still I would like to see what may be stored on it.

I can mount it, but when trying to unlock it, it requires a key on an USB. I have only 1 .BEK (assuming that this is the file required) but that does not work.

FWIW, not knowing whether it may have something to do with it: within gpedit.msc Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > BitLocker Drive Encryption nothing has been configured, i.e. all settings are default.

Bitlocker a valid usb key was not detected - how to remove a .vhdx [​IMG]

Any suggestions as to how to proceed on this?

Windows 10 x64 19363.836

:)

tfwul, Jul 19, 2020
  2. tfwul Win User

I discovered a .vhdx within OneDriveTemp. Probably I have created a test drive in the past(?) I don't know.Regretfully I am not able to open it. As I never used it, I believe I won't miss it either. Such a .vhdx file on OneDrive is useless anyhow: it would take ages to sync.

Now, I am considering to delete it. In view of the size, still I would like to see what may be stored on it.

I can mount it, but when trying to unlock it, it requires a key on an USB. I have only 1 .BEK (assuming that this is the file required) but that does not work.

FWIW, not knowing whether it may have something to do with it: within gpedit.msc Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > BitLocker Drive Encryption nothing has been configured, i.e. all settings are default.

Bitlocker a valid usb key was not detected - how to remove a .vhdx [​IMG]

Any suggestions as to how to proceed on this?

Windows 10 x64 19363.836

tfwul, Jul 19, 2020
  3. Bitlocker a valid usb key was not detected - how to remove a .vhdx

Unfortunately, if you don't have the recovery key for it, then you are done. You won't be able to open it.

In that case, proceed to deletion *Smile

hsehestedt, Jul 19, 2020
  4. Jan Del Win User

Bitlocker USB

Hi, Margaret.

BitLocker requires you to have a USB key in able to access the information. You can create a USB key by using a blank thumb drive or USB drive formatted to NTFS OR FAT32 and follow these steps:

• Click Start and go to Control Panel.
    • Look for System and Security then click it.
    • Select BitLocker Drive Encryption.
    • Under BitLocker Drive Encryption, click Turn on BitLocker.
    • Choose how you want to unlock your drive during startup: Insert a USB flash drive or
      Enter a Password and then click Next.
    • On the How Do You Want To Store Your Recovery Key Page, click Save the Recovery Key To A File.
    • In the Save BitLocker Recovery Key As dialog box, choose a save location, and then click
      Save.
    • You can now print the recovery key if you want to. When you have finished, click
      Next.
    • On the Are You Ready To Encrypt This Drive page, click Start Encrypting.

Note: Do not remove the USB flash drive until the encryption process is complete. How long the encryption process takes depends on the size of the drive and other factors.

Get back to us if you need further assistance.

Jan Del, Jul 19, 2020
Thema:

1. Bitlocker a valid usb key was not detected - how to remove a .vhdx - Similar Threads - Bitlocker valid usb

2. How remove bitlocker

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How remove bitlocker: How to remove bitlocker https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-remove-bitlocker/012fcf03-0c8e-4b40-a351-7e50f686d969
  3. How remove bitlocker

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How remove bitlocker: How to remove bitlocker https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-remove-bitlocker/012fcf03-0c8e-4b40-a351-7e50f686d969
  4. how to remove bitlocker key on D: Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to remove bitlocker key on D: Drive: in my laptop d drive locked by Bit-Locker how to remove it plz help me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-remove-bitlocker-key-on-d-drive/357d90d2-5747-4ebf-bdf2-ef2c583e519d
  5. how to remove bitlocker key on D: Drive

how to remove bitlocker key on D: Drive: in my laptop d drive locked by Bit-Locker how to remove it plz help me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-remove-bitlocker-key-on-d-drive/357d90d2-5747-4ebf-bdf2-ef2c583e519d
  6. BitLocker and USB keys

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BitLocker and USB keys: A customer uses a USB key to store confidential data. The USB key is protected with BitLocker and is used on several PCs managed by different users. Some users set the Bitlocker password to be remembered on their PCs, so that the USB key can be connected to their PCs without...
  7. BitLocker and USB keys

BitLocker and USB keys: A customer uses a USB key to store confidential data. The USB key is protected with BitLocker and is used on several PCs managed by different users. Some users set the Bitlocker password to be remembered on their PCs, so that the USB key can be connected to their PCs without...
  8. BitLocker and USB keys

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  9. Bitlocker Recover Key. How to Save the Recovery Key to a USB Drive?

Bitlocker Recover Key. How to Save the Recovery Key to a USB Drive?: I have access to my Microsoft Account that has the saved information of my Bitlocker Recovery Keys, it includes information such as Device Name, Key ID, and the Recovery Key number. But, what I am being asked when booting to a hard drive is a USB Drive with the Bitlocker Key....
  10. BitLocker metadata is not valid

BitLocker metadata is not valid: Dear TenForums, I have a problem with my encrypted 128GB SDcard. First of all I tried to unlock it and check automatic unlock for my computer. I did and SDcard was unlocked successfully. But next time when I switched computer on, I had to unlock SDcard again. I went to...