Windows 10: Bitlocker Access key to hard drive on crashed laptop

Discus and support Bitlocker Access key to hard drive on crashed laptop in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Motherboard crash on laptop haas mad it impossible to boot. I have taken the SSD and attached it through an adapter. Pop-up asks for 40 digit... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by StephenHeinz, Feb 15, 2021.

1. Bitlocker Access key to hard drive on crashed laptop

Motherboard crash on laptop haas mad it impossible to boot. I have taken the SSD and attached it through an adapter. Pop-up asks for 40 digit encryption key for drive letters on SSD. I never accepted any encryption. Where can I find key to recover my data.

:)

StephenHeinz, Feb 15, 2021

2. BitLocker Encrypted Hard Drive to MAC

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you.

I suggest you to perform below mentioned steps to disable BitLocker.

To disable BitLocker I would suggest you try the following steps and see if it helps.

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Control Panel.

• Change View by from Category
      to Large Icons/Small Icons.

• Click on BitLocker Drive Encryption and click on
      Turn BitLocker Off.

• Follow on screen instructions. Click on Decrypt the Drive
      when the message appears.
    I would suggest you click on the link below and refer the following article.

Scenario 12: Turning Off BitLocker Drive Encryption (Windows 7)

Scenario 12: Turning Off BitLocker Drive Encryption (Windows 7)

(You can refer the steps in the above link as they are applicable for Windows 10 as well)

Check if it helps.

I hope the information helps. Please keep us posted on the issue. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Aswin_Anand, Feb 15, 2021
  3. Aaron_Sum Win User
    How can I access/change my Bitlocker password for my external hard drive?

Hi AveryDavis,

Thank you for posting to Microsoft Community.

Is this an external hard drive or an internal hard drive into which the Windows 10 is installed in?

I can understand how important the hard drive is for you. If the hard drive was encrypted with a BitLocker, it can only be opened with the BitLocker key. This is because the hard drive will be encrypted with respect to the BitLocker and cannot be accessed
    on a different system without the key.

If you have not set the BitLocker key, the' Secure Boot' settings may be toggled to 'Disabled', which may be causing this issue. You can check that from the steps below.

1. Power the device 'Off' and then back 'On'.
    2. You should be able to find a message on the boot screen just before the manufacturer logo appears. You may need to press the ‘F1’, ‘F2’, or ‘Delete’ button, this is usually indicated on the boot screen.
    3. Enter the BIOS settings, look for a tab called 'BOOT' and select that page.
    4. Depending on the BIOS manufacturer, this page could be 'BOOT', 'ADVANCED', 'STARTUP', etc.
    5. Look for a setting for the 'UEFI Secure Boot'. Each BIOS could have a different name for this. These are the keywords to look for: 'UEFI', 'Secure Boot', 'Legacy Boot'.
    6. Toggle the 'Secure Boot' setting to 'Enabled' and attempt to boot the machine.

However, if the BitLocker is set and the password is not known, you can refer this article on ‘Find
    my BitLocker recovery key
    ’. If you do not have the BitLocker password or the recovery key, the only option would be to proceed with formatting the hard drive to access it and if Windows was installed on this drive, a reinstallation of Windows.

Note: Formatting the hard drive will delete all its contents.

Hope it helps.

Aaron Summith

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aaron_Sum, Feb 15, 2021
  4. KT-HK Win User

Bitlocker Access key to hard drive on crashed laptop

BitLocker Recovery Key

Thanks Greg.

Actually, I can't access to my hard drive because my laptop can't power on and the repair centre changed the PCB to fix the problem. After that, the Window has to be installed again if I can't provide the BitLocker Recovery Key. When I reinstall the Window,
    all my data in hard drive will be disappeared.

What is your suggestion to recovery my hard drive?

Regards,

KT-HK, Feb 15, 2021
Thema:

Bitlocker Access key to hard drive on crashed laptop

1. Bitlocker Access key to hard drive on crashed laptop - Similar Threads - Bitlocker Access key

2. How to acquire hard drive bitlocker key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to acquire hard drive bitlocker key: Long story short, my G3 15 laptop broke, I'll need a new laptop, and now the repairer needs a bitlocker key to get my data off the drives, which are encrypted. I've tried to get the key on my microsoft accounts but neither of them have any bitlocker keys....
  3. How to acquire hard drive bitlocker key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to acquire hard drive bitlocker key: Long story short, my G3 15 laptop broke, I'll need a new laptop, and now the repairer needs a bitlocker key to get my data off the drives, which are encrypted. I've tried to get the key on my microsoft accounts but neither of them have any bitlocker keys....
  4. How to acquire hard drive bitlocker key

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Bitlocker recovery key for an external hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bitlocker recovery key for an external hard drive: My computer recently died and my local technology repair store was able to backup my data on to an external hard drive. However, the hard drive is locked with a bitlocker key and I am unable to find it. Since I don't have the laptop available to try to find the key, I turned...
  6. Bitlocker recovery key for an external hard drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker recovery key for an external hard drive: My computer recently died and my local technology repair store was able to backup my data on to an external hard drive. However, the hard drive is locked with a bitlocker key and I am unable to find it. Since I don't have the laptop available to try to find the key, I turned...
  7. Bitlocker recovery key for an external hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker recovery key for an external hard drive: My computer recently died and my local technology repair store was able to backup my data on an external hard drive. However, the hard drive is locked with a bitlocker key and I am unable to find it. Since I don't have the laptop available to try to find the key, I turned to...
  8. Bitlocker Key not accessible

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker Key not accessible: I performed an update on my HP Envy LT from HP< hardware update BIOS update, I did a reboot and its asking for the Bitlocker key which I never printed out or saved to a USB drive, can Microsoft help me with getting that key with the ID I have or is there any other way to get...
  9. Lost access to external hard drive because of Bitlocker

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Lost access to external hard drive because of Bitlocker: Any PC that I plug my external hard drive in, asks me to enter a password to Bitlocker. The problem is that I have never installed a password for Bitlocker and I don’t have recovery keys in my Microsoft Account. In the result I am unable to access my hard drive...
  10. access to files on hard drive from crashed laptop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    access to files on hard drive from crashed laptop: My laptop died and I have removed the harddrive and can access it through a usb connection on another laptop. While I have access to all my files on the e:drive, I can't open any of them. Note says I don't have permission to access. went to properties and changed access...