Windows 10: BitLocker and Windows incorrectly identifies internal drive as removable

Discus and support BitLocker and Windows incorrectly identifies internal drive as removable in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; BitLocker incorrectly identifies two of my internal SATA hard drives as removable drives on Windows 2012 Server. I noticed Windows Server also shows... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Roy Beaulieu, Jul 16, 2019.

1. BitLocker and Windows incorrectly identifies internal drive as removable

BitLocker incorrectly identifies two of my internal SATA hard drives as removable drives on Windows 2012 Server. I noticed Windows Server also shows these drives as removable when I use the SYSTRAY icon for ejecting USB drives. If you look at the properties of those disks, in the Details tab under Capabilities, you'll also see the Value of CM_DEVCAP_REMOVABLE. My controller is the Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller on this Dell PowerEdge T130. I may look into more driver updates later.

I'm putting this here because I tried many things to fix this, including driver updates, that didn't work and this was the only one that did. Credit goes to the following link on superuser.com.

This command is what I ran to add this to the registry:
    reg.exe add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\storahci\Parameters\Device" /f /v TreatAsInternalPort /t REG_MULTI_SZ /d 0\01\02\03\04\05

https://superuser.com/questions/129...ject-sata-drives-from-the-windows-7-tray-icon
    I added a new Multi String Value called TreatAsInternalPort to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\storahci\Parameters\Device with the value:

(note the newlines)
    BitLocker and Windows incorrectly identifies internal drive as removable e0099e19-057d-4d8b-86c3-f139f35e403c?upload=true.png

:)

Roy Beaulieu, Jul 16, 2019
  2. newtekie1 Win User

Windows 8.1 PRO unable to unlock Bitlocked drive

Can you take a screen shot of the bitlocker window?

Also, what happens when you highlight the drive in This PC and go to the Manage tab? There should be some bitlocker options there.

newtekie1, Jul 16, 2019
  3. BitLocker Encrypted Hard Drive to MAC

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you.

I suggest you to perform below mentioned steps to disable BitLocker.

To disable BitLocker I would suggest you try the following steps and see if it helps.

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Control Panel.

• Change View by from Category
      to Large Icons/Small Icons.

• Click on BitLocker Drive Encryption and click on
      Turn BitLocker Off.

• Follow on screen instructions. Click on Decrypt the Drive
      when the message appears.
    I would suggest you click on the link below and refer the following article.

Scenario 12: Turning Off BitLocker Drive Encryption (Windows 7)

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee424315(v=ws.10).aspx

(You can refer the steps in the above link as they are applicable for Windows 10 as well)

Check if it helps.

I hope the information helps. Please keep us posted on the issue. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Aswin_Anand, Jul 16, 2019
  4. BGN_1975 Win User

BitLocker and Windows incorrectly identifies internal drive as removable

Fixed Drive Detected as Removable in Bitlocker

My system has 2 data drives in addition to the boot drive which is SSD. While windows detects both drives as fixed drives Bitlocker reports one of the drives as removable and so I cannot set it to auto-unlock. Any suggestions on how to change this behavior
    and make Bitlocker report correctly?

BGN_1975, Jul 16, 2019
Thema:

BitLocker and Windows incorrectly identifies internal drive as removable

1. BitLocker and Windows incorrectly identifies internal drive as removable - Similar Threads - BitLocker incorrectly identifies

2. Bitlocker: Removing Encrypted Internal HD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker: Removing Encrypted Internal HD: Windows 10 Pro crashed on bitlocker enabled PC. Cannot boot. Scans show no hardware issues. I have bitlocker key. If I physically remove the internal hard drives, will the bitlocker key decrypt them on another computer with Windows 7 Pro OS? If so how would I use the...
  3. Bitlocker: Removing Encrypted Internal HD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bitlocker: Removing Encrypted Internal HD: Windows 10 Pro crashed on bitlocker enabled PC. Cannot boot. Scans show no hardware issues. I have bitlocker key. If I physically remove the internal hard drives, will the bitlocker key decrypt them on another computer with Windows 7 Pro OS? If so how would I use the...
  4. Bitlocker: Removing Encrypted Internal HD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. BitLocker encryption on Internal SSD drives?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    BitLocker encryption on Internal SSD drives?: I always enable BitLocker so that the ENTIRE SSD DRIVE is encrypted. My question is, does it really matter if I turn on BitLocker encryption before or after adding my data onto the Internal SSD drive of my laptop? I also use TPM with pre-boot PIN. 177028
  6. removing internal hard drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    removing internal hard drive: so i wanted to check something while i have no hdd and i want to remove my wd blue hard drive but i don't know if it's safe to start pc after unplugging hdd or not and my windows 10 is installed on my ssd so what should i do?...
  7. bitlocker on removeable drives

in Windows 10 Customization
    bitlocker on removeable drives: I am having a windows 10 pro PC and was able to use Bitlocker on external removeable drive. But recently it stopped and I am unable to get the option though available for fixed drives. Please advise...
  8. Wrong PC Identifier for Bitlocker Drive Encryption

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Wrong PC Identifier for Bitlocker Drive Encryption: When setting up the Bitlocker Drive Encryption BitLocker Drive Encryption recovery key information shows the PC identifier which is different from my PC - how can I correct this. I want to set up the Bitlocker but am concerned that it has this weird identifier for my pc and I...
  9. "Safe " removing internal drives ?!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    "Safe " removing internal drives ?!: Why are my internal HDDs and SSD shown in the "safe remove "-icon ( placed in taskbar) ?? How can we get rid of this absurd notification of showing internal HDDs for removing...............!! 114602
  10. Windows incorrectly identifies optimal resolution

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Windows incorrectly identifies optimal resolution: I'm experiencing a blurry/small display for text (and some images) across a wide variety of apps and the desktop. Using Alienware x51 R2. Basically this started about a month ago after installing Witcher3. So I'm not sure if driver updates caused some problem, playing the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. bitlocker to go external drive parameter is incorrect