Windows 10: bitlocker asking for a recovery key after windows updates

Discus and support bitlocker asking for a recovery key after windows updates in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi Microsoft, bitlocker keeps asking for a recovery key after every monthly windows updates we get on our laptops we use HP and DELL the workaround... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by mehdi smichi, Jan 26, 2020.

1. bitlocker asking for a recovery key after windows updates

Hi Microsoft,

bitlocker keeps asking for a recovery key after every monthly windows updates we get on our laptops we use HP and DELL

the workaround of course is to use the recovery key stored in AD.this isn't a problem when we are dealing with two or three computers but when it starts affecting tens of them it is becoming problematic

no bios or TPM or third party updates updates were installed and here are the KBS that were installed on the computers

KB4534293 KB4525237 KB4520008

can you please look at this as i'm sure we are not the only ones impacted

thanks

:)

mehdi smichi, Jan 26, 2020
  2. pj04 Win User

Asking for Bitlocker recovery key on login

So I was playing with BIOS settings for reformatting my laptop and reinstalling Windows using bootable USB drive. I didn't succeed and I probably did something stupid. Now I'm not able to login into my laptop. It's asking me for bitlocker recovery key on both disabled and enabled settings of secure boot.

On "Enabled" setting, it says "Bitlocker needs your recovery key to unlock your drive because Secure Boot policy has unexpectedly changed."

bitlocker asking for a recovery key after windows updates [​IMG]

On "Disabled" setting, it says "Bitlocker needs your recovery key to unlock your drive because Secure Boot has been disabled. Either Secure Boot must be re-enabled, or Bitlocker must be suspended for Windows to start normally."

bitlocker asking for a recovery key after windows updates [​IMG]

I don't have a recovery key. I don't remember setting one. I even searched for it in my Microsoft account. My device (ASUS X205TA) is listed but the recovery key is not.

Note that I don't have any useful data in the laptop, so I'd be fine with reinstalling windows even if I loose all the data. I just want to be able to use my laptop again.

3. Xylee Del Win User
    Xylee Del, Jan 26, 2020
  4. bitlocker asking for a recovery key after windows updates

bitlocker recovery key

Hi Singh,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In order to get clarity on this issue and assist you with appropriate troubleshooting steps, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

1. Are you not able login to your computer due to BitLocker Recovery Key?
    2. Did you ever setup BitLocker Recovery Key on your computer?
    3. Are you not able to login to your Microsoft Account to find the BitLocker Recovery Key?
    4. Are you using Windows 10 Home or Windows 10 Professional?

Meanwhile, try finding BitLocker Recovery Key if you have ever setup BitLocker Recovery Key for your computer.

Please elaborate on the issue, so that we can understand the concern and get back to us to help you further.

Shafeeq_Khan, Jan 26, 2020
Thema:

bitlocker asking for a recovery key after windows updates

1. bitlocker asking for a recovery key after windows updates - Similar Threads - bitlocker asking recovery

2. Bitlocker ask for Bitlocker key after BIOS update

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker ask for Bitlocker key after BIOS update: This is the solution for people who dont access to the Bitlocker key on their microsoft account:Download the previous version of your laptop or computer BIOS, if you dont know which one was look for the current version and go back and use the bios flash utility with every...
  3. HP laptop suddenly asked for bitlocker recovery key after updating on windows 11.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HP laptop suddenly asked for bitlocker recovery key after updating on windows 11.: I just updated my laptop and suddenly got a message that I need to enter a recovery key. However, I have never set up a BitLocker recovery key and I think it was enabled through the update which has now locked all of my data. I have a lot of coding that I have saved onto my...
  4. HP laptop suddenly asked for bitlocker recovery key after updating on windows 11.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HP laptop suddenly asked for bitlocker recovery key after updating on windows 11.: I just updated my laptop and suddenly got a message that I need to enter a recovery key. However, I have never set up a BitLocker recovery key and I think it was enabled through the update which has now locked all of my data. I have a lot of coding that I have saved onto my...
  5. Windows is asking for Bitlocker Recovery Key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows is asking for Bitlocker Recovery Key: Windows is asking for BitLocker Recovery Key.I've already been forwarded to link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/find-my-bitlocker-recovery-key-fd2b3501-a4b9-61e9-f5e6-2a545ad77b3eHowever my windows account says I don't have any recovery keys associated with my...
  6. Dell Laptop keeps asking for BitLocker Recovery Key after update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Dell Laptop keeps asking for BitLocker Recovery Key after update: Have a Dell Inspiron laptop with Win-10 Home and automatic updates turned on. After a recent update, I cannot log on to the machine. Keeps asking for a Recovery Key and we've not done anything to encrypt the drive. What is Microsoft trying to do? Tried to uninstall last...
  7. BitLocker ask Recovery key after BIOS Update & Enable fTPM

BitLocker ask Recovery key after BIOS Update & Enable fTPM: As per title say... I build a gaming rig for my friend long time ago, story it begin with:1. Last month, I guide him to enable fTPM in UEFI BIOS since he want his PC ready for Windows 112. Yesterday I guide him to update UEFI BIOS Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming, v4301 to v4402...
  8. BitLocker asking for recovery key after KB4535680

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    BitLocker asking for recovery key after KB4535680: I have installed updates from 12th january, including KB4535680. After installation, BitLocker ask for a recovery key on boot up. Probably because the updates added dbx modules to the UEFI. This issue is also described here:...
  9. Laptop asking for Bitlocker Recovery Key

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop asking for Bitlocker Recovery Key: My laptop has recently been stuck in a boot-loop where it keeps booting to the blue recovery menu probably because Windows is corrupted. I am unable to reset the computer as the drive is encrypted with bitlocker and I need a BitLocker Recovery Key. The problem is that I...
  10. Asking for Bitlocker recovery key on login

Asking for Bitlocker recovery key on login: So I was playing with BIOS settings for reformatting my laptop and reinstalling Windows using bootable USB drive. I didn't succeed and I probably did something stupid. Now I'm not able to login into my laptop. It's asking me for bitlocker recovery key on both disabled and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. prompted for bitlocker key every boot