Windows 10: BitLocker asking for recovery key after moving HDD to optical drive caddy

Discus and support BitLocker asking for recovery key after moving HDD to optical drive caddy in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I replaced the original HDD in my Dell Inspiron 15-3567 manufactured 2018 with a new SSD, then moved the original HDD to the optical drive bay using a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by kblank321, Jun 7, 2021.

1. kblank321 Win User

BitLocker asking for recovery key after moving HDD to optical drive caddy

I replaced the original HDD in my Dell Inspiron 15-3567 manufactured 2018 with a new SSD, then moved the original HDD to the optical drive bay using a caddy. Beforehand, I made a Windows installation flash drive and also saved any files I wanted from the original HDD in another location. The new SSD seems to be working fine and Windows installed with no problems.However, when I go to File Explorer and click on the "D" drive where the original HDD now resides, I get a pop-up window asking for a BitLocker recovery key, even though this laptop came pre-installed with Windows 10 Home edition

:)

kblank321, Jun 7, 2021
  2. ra_si Win User

Can the system boot from HDD connected with Optical Drive Caddy?

I have a Dell Vostro 3546 Laptop, which is now 3 yrs old.

It was not powering on (4 to 5 months back) and I had it repaired by a local technician though, the power issue was fixed but a new issue took place, the system wasn't (and still) detecting HDD.

I checked connecting the HDD with other PC, its working fine and has all the data & partitions, but Laptop is not detecting Hard drive

A friend of mine suggested to try connecting the hard drive with Optical Drive Caddy, and according to him the system will boot, as I can change the boot sequence, but I want to make sure if this will work before I disassemble the Laptop.

So, will the system be able to boot from Hard drive connected with Optical drive caddy and the main HDD port (socket) left empty??

Kindly drop suggestions with specific details.

Error Code the system had produced after diagnosing:

Note:

1. If the system can boot with HDD connected with Optical Drive Caddy, the Read/Write speeds would differ, but how likely the difference would be.??
    2. Do I need to configure BIOS with particular settings for doing so.??

ra_si, Jun 7, 2021
  3. alphaslow Win User
    Optical bay HDD caddy makes my drives behave weirdly

I have a HDD and an SSD, one regular drive bay and one optical drive bay. I bought a caddy from Amazon to be able to use both drives.
    At first, my HDD was in the regular HDD bay and the SSD in the caddy. It was very painful but I managed to install Windows on the SSD, and it booted but the installation was messy, so I tried to switch them.

So now, the SSD is in the regular drive bay and the HDD with the caddy is in the optical drive bay. That's when it gets very weird. I could install Windows on the SSD without any issue, but Windows wouldn't boot if the HDD had any sort of filesystem specified (with Windows installed on the SSD!).
    I deleted the partition table with a Linux live CD, and Windows would boot properly.

The HDD was detected on any Windows utility, but when I tried to assign it a letter or to create a partition table with Diskpart, the utility would just freeze, and then I had to clean the HDD with the live CD to be able to boot on Windows again. I could format the HDD as NTFS without any issue on the live CD, but then Windows wouldn't boot. I then installed Linux Mint on the SSD with a dual boot, and it seems to have the same kind of issue, the partition manager freezes if I try to do anything on the HDD.

I've cleaned the pins and everything. The issue clearly comes from the caddy so the next step in my mind is trying to get another optical bay caddy to check if it does the same thing but I wanted to see if anyone has any other idea that I could check before that?

Thanks.

alphaslow, Jun 7, 2021
  4. BitLocker asking for recovery key after moving HDD to optical drive caddy

HDD in a HDD caddy is not showing up in the disk management

Hi,

To assist you better, I would like to ask some questions:

• How are you connecting the HDD Caddy?
    • What is the make and model of your computer?

If you are connecting the device using USB, I suggest you to check if other USB devices are recognized as USB devices or Other device. If it is displaying as other device, then the issue might be with the USB port. So, I suggest you to update the USB drivers
    by following the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X, select Device Manager.
    • Expand Universal Serial Bus Controller.
    • Right click on the drive, select Update Driver Software and follow the on-screen prompts.

Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Jun 7, 2021
Thema:

BitLocker asking for recovery key after moving HDD to optical drive caddy

1. BitLocker asking for recovery key after moving HDD to optical drive caddy - Similar Threads - BitLocker asking recovery

2. After connect external hdd Bitlocker ask key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After connect external hdd Bitlocker ask key: Hello. I have a laptop HP Probook with installed 2 OS on it: Windows 10 Pro and Ubuntu 20.04. All partition was encrypted by default. Selecting OS managed by GRUB, and there was no problem for today:I turned on my laptop and decided to run Windows, but it asked me for a...
  3. After connect external hdd Bitlocker ask key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    After connect external hdd Bitlocker ask key: Hello. I have a laptop HP Probook with installed 2 OS on it: Windows 10 Pro and Ubuntu 20.04. All partition was encrypted by default. Selecting OS managed by GRUB, and there was no problem for today:I turned on my laptop and decided to run Windows, but it asked me for a...
  4. After connect external hdd Bitlocker ask key

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Windows is asking for Bitlocker Recovery Key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows is asking for Bitlocker Recovery Key: Windows is asking for BitLocker Recovery Key.I've already been forwarded to link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/find-my-bitlocker-recovery-key-fd2b3501-a4b9-61e9-f5e6-2a545ad77b3eHowever my windows account says I don't have any recovery keys associated with my...
  6. BitLocker asking for recovery key after KB4535680

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    BitLocker asking for recovery key after KB4535680: I have installed updates from 12th january, including KB4535680. After installation, BitLocker ask for a recovery key on boot up. Probably because the updates added dbx modules to the UEFI. This issue is also described here:...
  7. Laptop asking for Bitlocker Recovery Key

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop asking for Bitlocker Recovery Key: My laptop has recently been stuck in a boot-loop where it keeps booting to the blue recovery menu probably because Windows is corrupted. I am unable to reset the computer as the drive is encrypted with bitlocker and I need a BitLocker Recovery Key. The problem is that I...
  8. bitlocker asking for a recovery key after windows updates

in Windows 10 Customization
    bitlocker asking for a recovery key after windows updates: Hi Microsoft, bitlocker keeps asking for a recovery key after every monthly windows updates we get on our laptops we use HP and DELL the workaround of course is to use the recovery key stored in AD.this isn't a problem when we are dealing with two or three computers but...
  9. Bitlocker asking for recovery key on every startup after encrypting the drive using VeraCrypt

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker asking for recovery key on every startup after encrypting the drive using VeraCrypt: Hi, I don't know if this question has been asked already, but here it is: Since I've encrypted my system disk on my tablet with veracrypt, bitlocker is asking it's recovery key each time on boot because (what the error message says in eventviewer) it can't contact the TPM...
  10. Asking for Bitlocker recovery key on login

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Asking for Bitlocker recovery key on login: So I was playing with BIOS settings for reformatting my laptop and reinstalling Windows using bootable USB drive. I didn't succeed and I probably did something stupid. Now I'm not able to login into my laptop. It's asking me for bitlocker recovery key on both disabled and...