Windows 10: Bitlocker asking for recovery key on every startup after encrypting the drive using VeraCrypt

Discus and support Bitlocker asking for recovery key on every startup after encrypting the drive using VeraCrypt in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi, I don't know if this question has been asked already, but here it is: Since I've encrypted my system disk on my tablet with veracrypt,... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by vigilian, Mar 7, 2019.

1. vigilian Win User

Bitlocker asking for recovery key on every startup after encrypting the drive using VeraCrypt

Hi,

I don't know if this question has been asked already, but here it is:

Since I've encrypted my system disk on my tablet with veracrypt, bitlocker is asking it's recovery key each time on boot because (what the error message says in eventviewer) it can't contact the TPM device anymore. I previously had encrypted my disk with bitlocker. Is there a way to relink bitlocker and the TPM device (still according to the error message) or is it just the bitlocker way to say that another encrypting software have changed the data?

I need to say maybe that I'm not stuck, I have the recovery key recorded somewhere else and so I jsut need to type it in each time. It's just that it is not supposed to ask that at each boot.

In the perfect scenario I would like that veracrypt is still used and so asking me at boot the password and then bitlocker would be still in use but not asking me for the recovery key. I don't see or understand why bitlocker can't verify the TPM device anymore just because veracrypt did encrypt the disk afterwards?

yes I'm under windows 10 Pro
    and there is no problem to use both togetehr. Bitlocker was encrypting the disk using the SSD encryption algorithm with the help of the TPM device and as planned, bitlocker wasn't asking for the recovery key because it was capable to use the TPM device for that at boot. Veracrypt have then be used to encrypt the disk in a software manner, it's very efficient using the AES algorithm, no problem of slowing down here. But then bitlocker was suddenly asking the recovery key after the veracrypt screen asking for the master password.

***Original title: how to relink bitlocker and TPM device after having used veracrypt encrypting process for systemdisk?***

:)

vigilian, Mar 7, 2019
  2. qp0615932 Win User

[BitLocker] Encrypting without generating recovery key?

Hi,

is there a way to encrypt a BitLocker drive without generating a recovery key?

Other encryption tools such as DiskCryptor/VeraCrypt/TrueCrypt or those found on Linux can simply be used with one PIN, no recovery key required.

BitLocker also allows to encrypt using a PIN. But, even when using a PIN, it still always seems to require to generate a recovery key in addition.

Is it possible to disable recovery keys altogether? So that only a PIN is set up to encrypt the drive and nothing else?

Why would you want a recovery key anyway, when you are already using a PIN? Why would you want to generate two passwords (PIN + recovery key) instead of just one password (only PIN without any recovery key)?

qp0615932, Mar 7, 2019
  3. Bitlocker enabled itself after VeraCrypt reboot

Hi, I installed veracrypt on my desktop this morning running windows 10. Everything went perfectly. I then tried installing VeraCrypt on a microsoft surface pro 3 running windows 8.1. After the initial VeraCrypt reboot, I entered my VeraCrypt password
    (which was successful) and then it took me to a bitlocker recovery screen.

I've never touched bitlocker, specifically because I don't trust it. This was the whole reason I installed VeraCrypt. Since I didn't enable it I obviously don't have the recovery key, and after checking my microsoft account, I don't have any recovery keys
    listed there either.

I was able to remove the VeraCrypt Prompt (after booting the USB that cointained the EFI folder) because VeraCrypt hadn't actually encrypted the drive yet, it was a simple restart to test the password prompt. For whatever reason, this enabled BitLocker
    and I'm pretty sure I'm completely screwed. No system restore points visible, can't boot into safe mode, no advanced recovery options working.

really_screwed, Mar 7, 2019
  4. ZachWax Win User

Bitlocker asking for recovery key on every startup after encrypting the drive using VeraCrypt

use veracrypt with bitlocker?

Can I first encrypt my drive with veracrypt then encrypt it with bitlocker for two layers of protection? I know my device is compatible with both.

ZachWax, Mar 7, 2019
Thema:

1. Bitlocker asking for recovery key on every startup after encrypting the drive using VeraCrypt - Similar Threads - Bitlocker asking recovery

2. bitlocker encrypted drive not opening with password or recovery key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    bitlocker encrypted drive not opening with password or recovery key: Password and recovery key are correct. Do I have any options? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bitlocker-encrypted-drive-not-opening-with/ce12de0f-e3c9-41f8-a737-1428cc4de9cb
  3. bitlocker encrypted drive not opening with password or recovery key

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    bitlocker encrypted drive not opening with password or recovery key: Password and recovery key are correct. Do I have any options? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bitlocker-encrypted-drive-not-opening-with/ce12de0f-e3c9-41f8-a737-1428cc4de9cb
  4. identifier value for BitLocker Drive Encryption recovery key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    identifier value for BitLocker Drive Encryption recovery key: Ok, so I'm an everyday user of my laptop who has a low to moderate understanding of some of the back end processes.I have a piece of software that is not responding and the developer has told me "You likely have some software on your computer intefering with xxx. Try...
  5. identifier value for BitLocker Drive Encryption recovery key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    identifier value for BitLocker Drive Encryption recovery key: Ok, so I'm an everyday user of my laptop who has a low to moderate understanding of some of the back end processes.I have a piece of software that is not responding and the developer has told me "You likely have some software on your computer intefering with xxx. Try...
  6. identifier value for BitLocker Drive Encryption recovery key

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. BitLocker Drive Encryption Recovery Key

BitLocker Drive Encryption Recovery Key: I purchased a second hand HP ProDesk PC and supplier replaced original SSD with new larger capacity. BitLocker was and remains turned on. I wasn't aware until I spent some time updating Win10 Pro and downloading some programs and data.Via Control Panel > BitLocker Drive...
  8. Bitlocker encryption key recovery

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bitlocker encryption key recovery: My Dell windows 10 laptop is acting up. Won't finish booting up.. Try to run clean disk and keep getting asked for my bit locker encryption key... I've never set this up machine bought new in a store. Help! Please... Steve...
  9. BitLocker Drive Encryption Recovery Key

BitLocker Drive Encryption Recovery Key: On Windows 10, I'm trying to set up a Bitlock Recovery Key and I accepted the Print option. On the print out I am being asked to compare the start of the identifier on the print out with the identifier on my computer to see if it matches. Where on the computer would I find...
  10. BitLocker encrypted drive not unlocking with recovery key

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    BitLocker encrypted drive not unlocking with recovery key: I encrypted an external hard drive a while ago and have since forgotten the password. I have the 48 digit recovery key saved to my computer as a notepad document. The problem I am having is that when I enter the 48 digit recovery key to unlock the drive nothing happens. No...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. veracrypt bitlocker recovery

2. after veracrypt boot error bitlocker windows 10

3. bitlocker after veracrypt

4. avoid bitlocker from asking password on every startup after setup,
  5. need to enter bitlocker recoy each time i start,
  6. can i unlock a usb stick encrypted with bitlocker using VeraCrypt,
  7. veracrypt windows 10 bitlocker key,
  8. bitlocker or veracrypt?,
  9. bitlocker recovery key after veracrypt login,
  10. Bitlocker will not encrypt because drive is not setup to startup,
  11. windows 10 asking for bitlocker recovery key at startup