Windows 10: BitLocker automatically enabled after Windows update & 30-day suspending of Microsoft account

Discus and support BitLocker automatically enabled after Windows update & 30-day suspending of Microsoft account in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; Hello everyone,While living in Japan in 2017, I bought a Dell laptop and activated my Microsoft 365 account with a Japanese phone number. Now I am... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by Tran Khanh An, Aug 26, 2021.

1. BitLocker automatically enabled after Windows update & 30-day suspending of Microsoft account

Hello everyone,While living in Japan in 2017, I bought a Dell laptop and activated my Microsoft 365 account with a Japanese phone number. Now I am living in Vietnam and I switch my Microsoft account to a Vietnamese phone number. I have to wait for 30 days until my security info is updated. I have not activated BitLocker so far. However, BitLocker is automatically enabled after the latest Windows update, and a recovery key is requested during booting process.Unfortunately, it is impossible for me to get the recovery key in my Microsoft account due to the 30-day suspension period.Is there any so

:)

Tran Khanh An, Aug 26, 2021
  2. Crking Win User

Bitlocker automatically suspending after CU

Hi

I have encountered unexpected behavior with Bitlocker since cumulative update (CU) KB4100403 in June.

The machine is running Windows 10 Pro, 1803. The machine has no TPM, and Bitlocker is set up to use a password prior to logging in.

I noticed that since mid-June, Bitlocker is automatically suspended on my operating system drive during Cumulative Updates. Once the update has completed and I log in, Bitlocker is suspended and must either be manually resumed or will automatically
    resume once I manually restart the system. manage-bde shows the drive status as:

Volume C: [System]

[OS Volume]
    Size: 59.07 GB

BitLocker Version: 2.0

Conversion Status: Fully Encrypted

Percentage Encrypted: 100.0%

Encryption Method: XTS-AES 128

Protection Status: Protection Off (1 reboots left) <-------------------

Lock Status: Unlocked

Identification Field: Unknown

Key Protectors:

Password

Numerical Password

The problem here is that Bitlocker should not be suspended unless user-initiated as this creates a security issue. Now I am aware of the following blog post relating to changes made to Bitlocker in 1803:
    NEW: Upgrade to Windows 10 1803 without suspending BitLocker. I have asked about this issue elsewhere have been pointed to this blog post, however it doesn't apply to my situation as (1) it applies
    only to Feature Updates, not the Cumulative Updates I am dealing with; and (2) it only applies to machines that have a TPM - mine does not.

Looking at the Bitlocker event logs, each time Bitlocker is suspended, the event shows the action initiated by the system account, and each time it correlates with a CU installed in Windows Update.

To get to the bottom of this, I have tried:

(1) To eliminate issues related to software I've installed, I tried a fresh install of 1803 English International from my original ISO, only changed the GPO to allow Bitlocker without TPM, let Bitlocker encrypt, then applied all Windows updates (including
    the latest CU). On reboot, Bitlocker was suspended.

(2) To eliminate issues related to my ISO, I used the media creation tool to make a new USB installer of 1803 US English. Then followed the same process as (1). On reboot, Bitlocker was suspended.

(3) To attempt to eliminate as many hardware issues as possible, I set up a VirtualBox VM (without VM extensions or tools) and installed 1803 from my original ISO. Then followed the same process as (1). On reboot, Bitlocker was suspended.

Has anyone else encountered this? Is this expected behavior since KB4100403, and if so, does anyone know why?

Thanks

Crking, Aug 26, 2021
  3. Paola Gar Win User
    Need to turn off Bitlocker to install Windows 10

Hi,

We suggest doing the following steps again to resolve the issue. To complete the procedure, make sure that you have the following information:

• You must be able to provide administrative credentials.
    • The drive must be BitLocker-protected.
    To suspend BitLocker Drive Encryption on an operating system drive, please follow the steps below:

• Click Start, click Control Panel, click
      System and Security, and then click BitLocker Drive Encryption.
    • Click Suspend Protection for the operating system drive.
    • A message is displayed, informing you that your data will not be protected while BitLocker is suspended and asking if you want to suspend BitLocker Drive Encryption.
    • Click Yes to continue and suspend BitLocker on the drive.

Let us know how it goes.

Paola Gar, Aug 26, 2021
  4. bigscale Win User

BitLocker automatically enabled after Windows update & 30-day suspending of Microsoft account

windows automatic updates

i have some questions about the windows automatic updates in windows xp pro w sp/2. ive got about forty updates they recommend , mostly for security but i only installed two today. after installing them i found them in my add/remove programs in the control panel, if i add all these updates that is a lot of space on my hd almost 1 gig. i thought that updates just updated files and not created new programs. should i innore all these update suggestions from microsoft?

bigscale, Aug 26, 2021
Thema:

BitLocker automatically enabled after Windows update & 30-day suspending of Microsoft account

1. BitLocker automatically enabled after Windows update & 30-day suspending of Microsoft account - Similar Threads - BitLocker automatically enabled

2. 30 day hold on account

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    30 day hold on account: Hello.BitLocker randomly popped up during a routine restart. Now my drive is locked. I've read that the "key" might be in my Microsoft account.Logged in from different machine and it didn't recognize other computer. Says it has to send a text.Well when setting up the...
  3. 30 day hold on account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    30 day hold on account: Hello.BitLocker randomly popped up during a routine restart. Now my drive is locked. I've read that the "key" might be in my Microsoft account.Logged in from different machine and it didn't recognize other computer. Says it has to send a text.Well when setting up the...
  4. 30 day hold on account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. suspend BitLocker

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    suspend BitLocker: What are the steps to suspend BitLocker? My BitLocker activated and locked me out. I found the key and got back in but now I'm asked to enter the key each time I log in. I learned that my BIOS need to be updated and in doing that, was instructed to suspend BitLocker. I've...
  6. Trying to get bitlocker key but Microsoft has locked me out of account for 30 days!!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Trying to get bitlocker key but Microsoft has locked me out of account for 30 days!!: I am trying to get a bitlocker key for my surface pro 3 that was destroyed after a windows update. SO I try to log in to my account to get the key only it forces me to enter a security code. I enter the details for it to send me the security code. It doesn't arrive. I see...
  7. After Windows Update Is automatically Bitlocker enable

After Windows Update Is automatically Bitlocker enable: Hi After Windows Update Is automatically Bitlocker enable. know is asking Bitlocker key where i check my MS account it's show Bitlocker is not enable. how i have open laptop without bitlocker key. [ATTACH]...
  8. Microsoft Account 30 day wait

Microsoft Account 30 day wait: About two years ago I added my mobile number to my account, and removed the old one. But when I went on yesterday it still had the old number, so I attempted to change it again. My new number is already associated with Xbox as I sometimes get texts - and I also can make...
  9. Unable to update Windows account details for 30 days

Unable to update Windows account details for 30 days: Original Title - Windows Account Why is this system so complicated and so difficult to use. The system suggested I check my account details when logging into my Outlook account and so, like an idiot i did. Now, it has stopped me checking any of my account details for 30...
  10. Bitlocker automatically suspending after CU

Bitlocker automatically suspending after CU: Hi I have encountered unexpected behavior with Bitlocker since cumulative update (CU) KB4100403 in June. The machine is running Windows 10 Pro, 1803. The machine has no TPM, and Bitlocker is set up to use a password prior to logging in. I noticed that since mid-June,...