Windows 10: BITLOCKER BUG: Windows 10 OS tries to "fix" a BitLocker encrypted SSD and renders it...

Discus and support BITLOCKER BUG: Windows 10 OS tries to "fix" a BitLocker encrypted SSD and renders it... in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; ALMOST ONE YEAR WITH NO ASSISTANCE1 My Surface Pro 3 died. 2 I removed the Bitlocker Encrypted SSD and took it to a high-end datarecovery office. Their... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Nicholas Gessler, Nov 19, 2021.

1. BITLOCKER BUG: Windows 10 OS tries to "fix" a BitLocker encrypted SSD and renders it...

ALMOST ONE YEAR WITH NO ASSISTANCE1 My Surface Pro 3 died. 2 I removed the Bitlocker Encrypted SSD and took it to a high-end datarecovery office. Their "expertise" was that nothing could be recovered. 3 On my own I recovered the key and bought a USB adapter for it. in January 4 I plugged the adapter into my new Dell, the Dell prompted me for the key. I etered it and successfully accessed the contents for about one month.. 5 Later when I tried to access it, Windows told me the SSD was corrupted it it would "fix it." I could not stop it and it proced to "fix it" by rendering it unusa

:)

Nicholas Gessler, Nov 19, 2021
  2. Viruzz Win User

HELP: Automatic BitLocker Unlock.

Please help,
    Looking for a way( script or maybe some unknown windows command or registry hack) to automatically unlock a non OS BitLocker encrypted drive on Log-In.

My situation: Right now my OS SSD Samsung 840 Evo has a boot password, its not Bios option nor windows eDrive but the third one, the one you need 3rd party software to activate it, had to purchase EMBASSY Security Center to do it.
    No issues here, the OS drive is locked and encrypted.

One of My HDD Drives is encrypted with Bitlocker, so every time my PC is booted, I need to enter windows log-in password and then open my computer and enter another password to unlock the drive.
    Whats worse is that unlike the SSD that needs unlock password only after full shutdown the Bitlocker needs it every log-in.

Windows has an option to Automaticlly unlock all BitLocker drives on boot, BUT the issue here is that this official option only works if your OS drive is also BitLocker encrypted and then log-in password unlocks everything.

Im looking for maybe a windows Script or some Hidden command to automatically unlock the BitLocker drive.

Even if it Sounds insecure like having the actual password somewhere in the registry, text file or script I dont care because the OS drive is encrypted and passworded.
    Also I have a TPM chip I can encrypt any file/folder so even if file is copied from my PC when its fully unlocked the files wont be readable anywhere unless unencrypted before.

If its important im on 8.1 pro 64bit

P.S. If there is no solution for my problem then my only choice is when windows 10 comes out to do a clean install on another Samsung 840 Evo that was previously cleared and eDrive option enabled

Thanks in advance.

Viruzz, Nov 19, 2021
  3. tekkie Win User
    BitLocker hardware encryption cannot be activated on Win10 10586/1511

Hey,

I'm having trouble enabling hardware encryption with BitLocker using Windows 10 build 10586 on a clean install with a Samsung 850 SSD. The encryption worked flawlessly before on build 10240.

I've spent hours and attempted multiple solutions and made several tests.

As mentioned, on the same machine, if clean installing build 10240 (RTM, before November update) right now, the encryption works.

I have UEFI on with Legacy/CSM off, Fast Boot on, Secure Boot on, and a clean GPT installation after using the 'diskpart clean' command.

As always, it's required to change a group policy to allow additional authentication at startup. I did that.

On a clean installation of build 10586, the wizard will say 'parameter is incorrect' when attempting to start encryption.

Microsoft did announce some BitLocker-related changes for build 10586: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt403325

There are also new group policies added. I've tried all combinations. They now allow you to try and force a specific encryption cipher. Samsung uses XES-AES256. I tried forcing that (as well as all other combinations) but the same error returns.

Now, here's where it gets interesting, and possibly why no reports about this have surfaced yet:
    If you enable the encryption on build 10240, and then upgrade to 10586, the encryption will remain and will work properly on build 10586.

If you then attempt to 'Reset this PC', and choose the 'keep nothing' option, it will warn you that BitLocker will be disabled. Once it's done cleaning, if you attempt to enable encryption, it will again show the error.

Even if you don't reset the PC, but simply disable BitLocker on 10586 and then attempt to re-enable it, it will no longer work.

tl;dr: Hardware encryption via BitLocker on build 10586 cannot be enabled on a clean install. Currently-known workaround is installing 10240, encrypting it, then upgrading to 10586.

Any solutions would be appreciated, thanks!

tekkie, Nov 19, 2021
  4. BITLOCKER BUG: Windows 10 OS tries to "fix" a BitLocker encrypted SSD and renders it...

BitLocker Encrypted Hard Drive to MAC

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you.

I suggest you to perform below mentioned steps to disable BitLocker.

To disable BitLocker I would suggest you try the following steps and see if it helps.

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Control Panel.

• Change View by from Category
      to Large Icons/Small Icons.

• Click on BitLocker Drive Encryption and click on
      Turn BitLocker Off.

• Follow on screen instructions. Click on Decrypt the Drive
      when the message appears.
    I would suggest you click on the link below and refer the following article.

Scenario 12: Turning Off BitLocker Drive Encryption (Windows 7)

Scenario 12: Turning Off BitLocker Drive Encryption (Windows 7)

(You can refer the steps in the above link as they are applicable for Windows 10 as well)

Check if it helps.

I hope the information helps. Please keep us posted on the issue. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Aswin_Anand, Nov 19, 2021
Thema:

BITLOCKER BUG: Windows 10 OS tries to "fix" a BitLocker encrypted SSD and renders it...

1. BITLOCKER BUG: Windows 10 OS tries to "fix" a BitLocker encrypted SSD and renders it... - Similar Threads - BITLOCKER BUG tries

2. Bitlocker encryption

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker encryption: Hello, ive been locked out of my windows account, since i need my old security old email. Which i no longer have acces to, ive contacted microsoft, and they gave me 2 options. Wait 30 days to update security mail and i dont know if they even will do it or clean install which...
  3. BITLOCKER BUG: Windows 10 OS tries to "fix" a BitLocker encrypted SSD and renders it...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BITLOCKER BUG: Windows 10 OS tries to "fix" a BitLocker encrypted SSD and renders it...: ALMOST ONE YEAR WITH NO ASSISTANCE1 My Surface Pro 3 died. 2 I removed the Bitlocker Encrypted SSD and took it to a high-end datarecovery office. Their "expertise" was that nothing could be recovered. 3 On my own I recovered the key and bought a USB adapter for it. in January...
  4. BITLOCKER BUG: Windows 10 OS tries to "fix" a BitLocker encrypted SSD and renders it...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BITLOCKER BUG: Windows 10 OS tries to "fix" a BitLocker encrypted SSD and renders it...: ALMOST ONE YEAR WITH NO ASSISTANCE1 My Surface Pro 3 died. 2 I removed the Bitlocker Encrypted SSD and took it to a high-end datarecovery office. Their "expertise" was that nothing could be recovered. 3 On my own I recovered the key and bought a USB adapter for it. in January...
  5. Bitlocker encryption

in Windows 10 Customization
    Bitlocker encryption: Hi Everyone,I am trying to change the bitlocker encryption method to AES 256, And i am trying to find the right command that i can execute from command prompt to change this.Could someone suggest on this?RegardsKevin...
  6. BitLocker encryption on Internal SSD drives?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    BitLocker encryption on Internal SSD drives?: I always enable BitLocker so that the ENTIRE SSD DRIVE is encrypted. My question is, does it really matter if I turn on BitLocker encryption before or after adding my data onto the Internal SSD drive of my laptop? I also use TPM with pre-boot PIN. 177028
  7. Bitlocker encryption on non-os drives

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker encryption on non-os drives: hi, I have tried to recover windows due to an operating system corruption. Then when I was trying to log in I was said that there is a bitlocker encryption. I was able to recover that by logging into Microsoft account. However, still my non-os drives D: and E: are...
  8. BitLocker encryption is enabled on your OS

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BitLocker encryption is enabled on your OS: ***Modify title from: Trying to change boot configuration, but BitLocker prompts recovery mode - except I run Windows 10 Home, and don't have BitLocker installed?*** I am optimizing my Wintows 10 laptop by changing the boot settings to use all of my processors, not GUI...
  9. Unlock OS Drive Encrypted by BitLocker in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Unlock OS Drive Encrypted by BitLocker in Windows 10: How to: Unlock OS Drive Encrypted by BitLocker in Windows 10 How to Unlock an OS Drive Encrypted by BitLocker in Windows 10 [img] Information BitLocker Drive Encryption is a data protection feature that integrates with the operating system and addresses the threats of...
  10. More Bugs: Windows 10 Threshold 2 Breaks Down BitLocker Encryption

in Windows 10 News
    More Bugs: Windows 10 Threshold 2 Breaks Down BitLocker Encryption: [img] Is this the reason Windows 10 TH2 was removed? Windows 10 Threshold 2 keeps making headlines these days, but not necessarily thanks to performance improvements that it delivers to computers already updated to the latest OS. After the company pulled the...