Windows 10: Bitlocker bypassed when restarting after windows update

Discus and support Bitlocker bypassed when restarting after windows update in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have a notebook running Windows 10 Pro (without TPM). When I power on, I am brought to the Bitlocker password screen, as expected. However, when... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by TommyRogers1954, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Bitlocker bypassed when restarting after windows update

I have a notebook running Windows 10 Pro (without TPM).

When I power on, I am brought to the Bitlocker password screen, as expected.

However, when requested to restart after some Windows updates, Bitlocker screen is bypassed and I'm brought to the Windows logon screen. This does not happen with all update/restarts, but seems to be random.

:)

TommyRogers1954, Sep 16, 2018
  2. DaveToms Win User

Broken security by bypassing lock screen on restart

Question:

Why does Windows bypass the lock screen when it restarts after a Windows update? I consider this a security design flaw. If a maintenance crew came by my home while I'm at work to do some home renovation upgrades but they left the
    front door unlocked when they finished, when I got home I'd wonder what on Earth they were thinking. I hope I've just missed a setting somewhere to disable this.

Three things I accept:

1. Locking my computer to protect my privacy.

2. Windows restarting after an update.

3. Windows automatically updating, which is frustrating but acceptable.

But I don't accept Windows bypassing the lock screen after an update.

Precondition:

Windows 10 is set up to require a password at sign in, both on startup and on the lock screen.

Steps to reproduce:

Step 1: Lock the computer.

Step 2: Leave the room.

Step 3: Wait for Windows to perform an automatic system update.

Step 4: Windows restarts automatically.

Problem 1: Windows bypasses the lock screen, instead signing in and showing the desktop.

Problem 2: Come home and book a doctor's appointment to deal with the stress of seeing my computer unlocked.

It's my first post in the community so suggestions about posting etiquette are welcome.

DaveToms, Sep 16, 2018
  3. bod4000 Win User
    BitLocker - Is it possible to bypass on Restart?

Hello, just wondering, if you have BitLocker on is there a way to stop it asking for password/PIN when you restart the computer?

Restart ONLY

bod4000, Sep 16, 2018
  4. 3Colors Win User

Bitlocker bypassed when restarting after windows update

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Bitlocker bypassed when restarting after windows update :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Sep 16, 2018
Thema:

Bitlocker bypassed when restarting after windows update

1. Bitlocker bypassed when restarting after windows update - Similar Threads - Bitlocker bypassed restarting

2. How do I bypass the Bitlocker recovery screen that appeared after a Windows 11 update.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I bypass the Bitlocker recovery screen that appeared after a Windows 11 update.: I have a Lenovo Ideapad 3 with Windows 11. It ran an update and now the Bitlocker recovery screen appeared. I did not enable and do not have the recovery key. I contacted Lenovo and they told me this happens sometimes with Windows 11 and I could pay them $129 to send me media...
  3. How do I bypass the Bitlocker recovery screen that appeared after a Windows 11 update.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I bypass the Bitlocker recovery screen that appeared after a Windows 11 update.: I have a Lenovo Ideapad 3 with Windows 11. It ran an update and now the Bitlocker recovery screen appeared. I did not enable and do not have the recovery key. I contacted Lenovo and they told me this happens sometimes with Windows 11 and I could pay them $129 to send me media...
  4. Bypassing BitLocker, resetting PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bypassing BitLocker, resetting PC: A user reset a new company laptop and inadvertently installed BitLocker, they don't have credentials to the account they used. We won't be able to recover it.We don't need anything on this device. In an effort to make it usable I tried running reset, and get There was a...
  5. Bypassing BitLocker, resetting PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bypassing BitLocker, resetting PC: A user reset a new company laptop and inadvertently installed BitLocker, they don't have credentials to the account they used. We won't be able to recover it.We don't need anything on this device. In an effort to make it usable I tried running reset, and get There was a...
  6. Bypassing BitLocker, resetting PC

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. How to bypass the bitlocker?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    How to bypass the bitlocker?: how to bypass the bitlocker that locked my screen? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-bypass-the-bitlocker/44f91cf6-1a43-446e-9965-4dd19e9e028b
  8. bitlocker bypass

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    bitlocker bypass: Hello, I have an TOPTON GAMING MINI PC that operates on Windows 10, and anytime I turn it on, it says "Recovery: there are no more Bitlocker recovery options on your PC, you'll need to use the recovery tools on your installation media" and if I press f9 it asks me to insert...
  9. Can't bypass BitLocker!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't bypass BitLocker!: Hello! For some reason I have to get BitLocker recovery key, but I don't have it. There's no key on my account, no key in AD, no key on USB and can't reset it from BIOS. I've checked everything from Google and YouTube but without any good answer. And I can't get to Command...
  10. Bypass for activating bitlocker

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Bypass for activating bitlocker: Hi everyone, It may be a stupid question but i got a surface pro7 and microsoft thought it was a good idea to remove windows PRO from surface PRO and i need to connect a microsoft account to enable bitlocker on it. Is there any way to bypass this connection? Thank you in...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. bitlocker adter windows update

2. after 1909 update at bitlocker screen

3. bitlocker after windows update

4. windows 10 ignore bitlocker after update restart,
  5. windows 10 warm restart bypasses bitlocker,
  6. Bupass Bitlocker after windows update reboot