Windows 10: BitLocker could not be enabled

Discus and support BitLocker could not be enabled in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello, We are enabling the BitLocker for all our machines in the organization and have 2 issues for which we could not find an answer. Issue 1:... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Goutham Bala, Mar 5, 2020.

1. BitLocker could not be enabled

Hello,

We are enabling the BitLocker for all our machines in the organization and have 2 issues for which we could not find an answer.

Issue 1:

Laptop model : HP G3

Problem: BitLocker is not turned ON an the drive is not encrypted but still not able to turn on the BitLocker as it throws the below errors after the re-start,

BitLokcer could not be enabled.

The data drive specified is not set to automatically unlock on the current computer and cannot be unlocked automatically.

C: was not encrypted.

Issue 2:

Laptop Model: HP Elitebook G4

Problem: A normal windows patch was installed on the machine and it asked for the re-boot, once we re-booted we got the blue screen where it asked for the recovery password but for no reason the pwd shows as invalid. Then we tried to disable the Bitlocker using cmd prompt but still says the pwd is invalid.

We have entered the exact pwd for the key ID which was stored in Azure AD but still says invalid.

:)

Goutham Bala, Mar 5, 2020

2. BitLocker won't enable on Windows 10 after update on Aug 9

Hi Brenda,

I would be happy to assist you.

Before I assist you I would like to know the information below,

• Do you have a Windows 10 copy of the operating system?

I suggest you check whether the Bit locker is ON or OFF using the steps below.

Can you verify if BitLocker is enabled or disabled on your device? You can Enable/disable BitLocker by going to Desktop and follow these steps:

• Swipe Right to Left to bring up the Charm.

• Choose Settings.

• Choose Control Panel.

• Select BitLocker Drive Encryption.

• Verify whether BitLocker is on or off on each device.
    Also I suggest you to enable the WinRE so that you can enter the bit locker key and proceed.

When WinRE is disabled, you cannot enable BitLocker, and you receive an error message that resembles the following.

This PC doesn't support entering a BitLocker recovery password during startup. Ask your administrator to configure Windows Recovery Environment so that you can use BitLocker.

The solution would be to manually enable the windows recovery environment:

• Copying the winre.wim file from c:\windows\system32\recovery\ to a folder on a recovery partition. (The partition need to have a drive letter at this point.)

• Set the RE Image path. Example: reagentc /setreimage /path r:\recovery\windowsre

• Enable RE with command: reagentc /enable

• (You may remove the drive letter for the recovery partition after you have done this.)

• Bit locker will be enabled.
    If the issue still persists, suggest you to post your query on the below link.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831507(v=ws.11).aspx

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Thank you.

Vidyashree_C, Mar 5, 2020
  3. Ernie San Win User
    Bitlocker

Hello Nandana,

To enable BitLocker on your computer, you follow the steps below:

• Sign in to your Windows account with an administrator access.
    • Press the Windows key.
    • Type and enter BitLocker.
    • Click Turn on BitLocker.
    • If the system is asking to sing in to administrator access, please do so.
    For additional information about BitLocker, we suggest that you check the frequently ask question on this
    link. The link provided applies to Windows 8.1 to higher version.

If you have other concerns, don't hesitate to reach us.

Ernie San, Mar 5, 2020
  4. BitLocker could not be enabled

Clone Bitlocker enable drive to SSD

Keitaro

My name is Andre Da Costa; an Independent Consultant, Windows Insider MVP and Windows & Devices for IT MVP. I'm here to help you with your problem.

Heed the advice of the software, you must disable BitLocker before cloning. This is highly recommend if you ever want to get access to the drive.

There is nothing wrong with having to re-enable it after restoring the clone.

Step 1: disable BitLocker.

Step 2: clone drive

Step 3: restore the cloned image to the new drive.

Step 4: Re-Enable BitLocker.

Andre for Directly, Mar 5, 2020
Thema:

BitLocker could not be enabled

1. BitLocker could not be enabled - Similar Threads - BitLocker enabled

2. Computer suddenly asks for a Bitlocker Recovery Key. I've never enabled this? Help!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer suddenly asks for a Bitlocker Recovery Key. I've never enabled this? Help!!: Restarted my computer trying to install a Windows Update which had been failing for a while.After my computer was restarted, it now asks for a 'Bitlocker Recovery Key'.I have never enabled Bitlocker. It must have been triggered by the Windows Update somehow.I cannot find the...
  3. Computer suddenly asks for a Bitlocker Recovery Key. I've never enabled this? Help!!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer suddenly asks for a Bitlocker Recovery Key. I've never enabled this? Help!!: Restarted my computer trying to install a Windows Update which had been failing for a while.After my computer was restarted, it now asks for a 'Bitlocker Recovery Key'.I have never enabled Bitlocker. It must have been triggered by the Windows Update somehow.I cannot find the...
  4. Computer suddenly asks for a Bitlocker Recovery Key. I've never enabled this? Help!!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Enable BitLocker Auto-unlock gives error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Enable BitLocker Auto-unlock gives error: I have a laptop. It was sold new with Windows 11 home, upgraded to Windows 11 Pro with a retail license. slmgr.vbs /div shows that it is RETAIL channel and Licensed. I also added as second SSD which I formatted as one big Basic Data Partition, NTFS, and assigned drive letter...
  6. Enable BitLocker Auto-unlock gives error

Enable BitLocker Auto-unlock gives error: I have a laptop. It was sold new with Windows 11 home, upgraded to Windows 11 Pro with a retail license. slmgr.vbs /div shows that it is RETAIL channel and Licensed. I also added as second SSD which I formatted as one big Basic Data Partition, NTFS, and assigned drive letter...
  7. How to enable WinRE while BitLocker is on

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to enable WinRE while BitLocker is on: Due to the Windows Updates error Install error - 0x80070643 persisting for months, I manually resized the partition following the instructions KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE update. When I tried to enable WinRE reagentc /enable,...
  8. How to enable WinRE while BitLocker is on

How to enable WinRE while BitLocker is on: Due to the Windows Updates error Install error - 0x80070643 persisting for months, I manually resized the partition following the instructions KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE update. When I tried to enable WinRE reagentc /enable,...
  9. How to enable WinRE while BitLocker is on

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  10. Enable BitLocker on Software Center

Enable BitLocker on Software Center: Hi!Is it possible to make a deployment of the Bitlocker feature in software center? If so, could you tell me how? I have read the documentation but I have not found anything that tells me how to do it, which makes me think that it may not be possible....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cant enable bitlocker the drive specified is not set to automatically unlock on the current computer and cannot be unlocked automatically