Windows 10: BitLocker Data Partition unlock on boot

Discus and support BitLocker Data Partition unlock on boot in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I am getting a laptop with Windows 10 Pro. I will be reducing the system partition and add another partition D: for data. Then i would move all user... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by HBJ75, Feb 15, 2019.

1. HBJ75 Win User

BitLocker Data Partition unlock on boot

I am getting a laptop with Windows 10 Pro. I will be reducing the system partition and add another partition D: for data. Then i would move all user folders including Desktop to D: drive

I want to protect the D drive with BitLocker so that if laptop is stolen my data is safe. However the data drive needs to be unlocked before login as my user folders are in there else i will get an error.

Is it possible for BitLocker to ask for password to unlock D drive at boot?

I don't want to encrypt system partition not do i want to work with single partition.

:)

HBJ75, Feb 15, 2019

2. Is it worth using Bitlocker on your data partition?

I bitlock all my external hard-drives and the SD card I use to expand my Windows 10 Surface Book memory. These contain some sensitive information, so I would not be happy if any of them was stolen. They unlock automatically when connected to this
    computer. The computer is boot password protected, so I hope a thief would be unable to access either my data drive or my external drives. I have two questions, both (I hope) easily answered:

1. Should I encrypt the data partition on my hard-drive? Ie, could the thief remove the drive and get access to my data partition by attaching the drive to another computer if it was not encrypted? Or would the boot password still give some protection?

2. How easy is it for someone to bypass my boot password, and get access to my data partition which
    is not bitlocked at present? Eg, by booting from a flash drive or cracking the password. If easy, I guess I should maintain bitlocker password protection on my data partition (ie, not unlock it automatically).

Thanks Jon

jonrichco1, Feb 15, 2019
  3. Activate Bitlocker for data drive partition

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

BitLocker
    Drive Encryption is one of the best security tools of Windows operating system. This feature of
    Windows 10 safeguards your stored data in fixed or removable drives of your storage system. When you turn on
    BitLocker it saves data on any drive and encrypt it automatically. When you encrypt drive, it
    protects everything with passwords on that drive whether it is file or document. In today’s
    Windows 10 tutorial, we will take you through Encrypt Drive Partition using Bitlocker process with
    BitLocker which will support your system in protecting its data.

Get Into BitLocker Drive Encryption Window in Windows 10

To Encrypt Drive Partition using Bitlocker you need to access BitLocker Encryption Window First. For this,

• Open Cortana Search.
    • Type BitLocker in the search field.
    • And in the search results select Manage BitLocker option.
    • BitLocker
      Drive Encryption window pops up on your screen.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Feb 15, 2019
  4. BitLocker Data Partition unlock on boot

Is it worth using Bitlocker on your data partition?

Thanks Michael - but it is really only those two specific questions I need answered. The article answers question 1. If my data partition is encrypted, it would require a password to access it on another computer. So I plan to encrypt my D-partition.

The second question is not really about bitlocker, but rather if it is easy to hack through a Windows boot password. If it is quite easy, then I should turn off automatic unlocking on boot.

Bulldog: you are probably right - but there is one 200MB folder with financial stuff that I would like to encrypt, out of 14 gigs of data (my photos and music are in other partitions). Unfortunately Microsoft does not give me the option to encrypt individual
    folders.

jonrichco1, Feb 15, 2019
Thema:

BitLocker Data Partition unlock on boot

1. BitLocker Data Partition unlock on boot - Similar Threads - BitLocker Data Partition

2. Unlock Bitlocker

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unlock Bitlocker: I am trying to clone my computer to IDrive so I can wipe my computer and reinstall Windows 11. Hopefully that will clear up some issues I am having with my computer. It can't backup because files are bitlocked.I didn't know I had bitlocker but apparently I do. I went through...
  3. Unlock Bitlocker

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unlock Bitlocker: I am trying to clone my computer to IDrive so I can wipe my computer and reinstall Windows 11. Hopefully that will clear up some issues I am having with my computer. It can't backup because files are bitlocked.I didn't know I had bitlocker but apparently I do. I went through...
  4. BitLocker - Automatically unlock my drive on a data drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BitLocker - Automatically unlock my drive on a data drive?: Hi,I have a Windows Server 2019 server with an OS drive encrypted with BitLocker and automatically unlocking the drive.There is also a data drive using RAID that is BitLocker encrypted and it requires a BitLocker password.Everytime the server reboots someone has to be there...
  5. BitLocker - Automatically unlock my drive on a data drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BitLocker - Automatically unlock my drive on a data drive?: Hi,I have a Windows Server 2019 server with an OS drive encrypted with BitLocker and automatically unlocking the drive.There is also a data drive using RAID that is BitLocker encrypted and it requires a BitLocker password.Everytime the server reboots someone has to be there...
  6. BitLocker - Automatically unlock my drive on a data drive?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  7. Unlocking Bitlocker

Unlocking Bitlocker: Hi all I found this article on here , is this still the most update and easiest method to unlock bitlocker? I only want to partition a drive so that that data and apps are separate. If I do partition should I locked both drives after or is bitlocker only for the system drive?...
  8. bitlocker unlock

bitlocker unlock: my laptop is asking to unlock the drive using bitlocker recoery key https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bitlocker-unlock/52f11a10-ba88-4fed-b829-bf4cf22b6746
  9. Bitlocker unlock

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bitlocker unlock: Who [IMG]to unlock drive c and lock drive c. Unlock bitloker plz help me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bitlocker-unlock/7a7981f8-ea23-4c86-88be-230c9e2838d2
  10. Bitlock unlock?

in Windows 10 Support
    Bitlock unlock?: I'm just wondering what this is for on Bitlocker (unlock)? How do you use it? [img] 155432

Users found this page by searching for:

1. bitlocker unlock on boot

2. how to unlock boot partition