Windows 10: Bitlocker Device Encryption enabled after imaging

Discus and support Bitlocker Device Encryption enabled after imaging in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I am trying to create a Windows 10 image for my organization, and cannot figure out one particular issue with Bitlocker. It seems that after I sysprep,... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by kuzimoto, Apr 13, 2017.

1. kuzimoto Win User

Bitlocker Device Encryption enabled after imaging

I am trying to create a Windows 10 image for my organization, and cannot figure out one particular issue with Bitlocker. It seems that after I sysprep, and throw the image on a new computer, it then has BitLocker partially enabled. What I mean is that when going to the About page in System in the settings it shows in red "You need a Microsoft account to finish encrypting this device". The C: drive also shows an opened lock with a warning icon (exclamation point in a triangle).

When going to the Manage Bitlocker page is shows an option to turn on bitlocker. Searching various sites on google has led me to the idea of turning on bitlocker, then turning it off again before sysprep. This does in fact disable BitLocker, however it appears to turn on again after imaging on a new computer.

While it's not a huge pain to disable BitLocker afterwards it does take several minutes to decrypt and multiplied that by many computers does eat up a bit of time in the end. Is there something I'm missing here to make sure BitLocker remains disabled after imaging? These are generally on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 computers that this happens on, it did not do the same thing on an HP laptop I tested.

:)

kuzimoto, Apr 13, 2017

2. Lumia 920 Encryption

I know with WP8, encryption is pretty much built throughout the device from secure boot, sandboxed encrypted apps and data encryption is supported, but, enabled by EAS or via a MDM policy.. Not sure if there is a way the user can toggle this feature or not.

This is from the Windows Phone 8 Security Whitepaper:

Device encryption

To help keep everything from documents to passwords safe, Windows Phone 8
    6 encrypts the internal storage of the device, including the operating system and

data partitions. Device encryption is enabled by EAS or device management policy.

Device encryption in Windows Phone 8 uses BitLocker technology to encrypt all internal data storage on the phone. Once enabled, BitLocker conversion automatically starts encrypting the internal storage. With both PIN-lock and BitLocker enabled, the
    combination of data encryption and device lock would make it extremely difficult for an attacker to recover sensitive information from a device.

slashd0t---01, Apr 13, 2017
  3. Windows 10 Pro deployment using WDS and eDrive

I'm deploying Windows 10 PC's using WDS and want to make use of eDrive. The SSD installed in the PC supports hardware encryption. When I deploy a Windows 10 Pro image to a system and then turn on BitLocker it uses software encryption.

If I take that same system install Windows 10 Pro using a CD turn on BitLocker it uses Hardware encryption. Again on the same PC I deploy Windows 10 Pro using WDS enable BitLocker it uses hardware encryption.

To do this across a number of devices is time consuming and defeats the point of WDS.

Any suggestions?

ChosenMacaroon8, Apr 13, 2017
Thema:

Bitlocker Device Encryption enabled after imaging

1. Bitlocker Device Encryption enabled after imaging - Similar Threads - Bitlocker Device Encryption

2. Can't enable bitlocker encryption.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't enable bitlocker encryption.: Hello. I have a problem. I can't enable bitlocker encryption. I have windows 11 21h2 home single language, I also recently performed a local reinstall of windows....
  3. Can't enable bitlocker encryption.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't enable bitlocker encryption.: Hello. I have a problem. I can't enable bitlocker encryption. I have windows 11 21h2 home single language, I also recently performed a local reinstall of windows....
  4. Bitlocker Device Encryption

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker Device Encryption: Does bitlocker Device encryption change your recovery key each time you turn bitlocker on/off? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bitlocker-device-encryption/3283ade2-2838-48ca-b2e2-68b244410f96
  5. Device Encryption and Bitlocker not appearing

Device Encryption and Bitlocker not appearing: Split from this thread. Hi, I got similar issue. I turned off the encryption after I am being asked to provide the recovery key every time I boot the issue. After restarting the system, I couldn't find the encryption setting. I have the admin rights. But, how do I...
  6. Windows 10 BitLocker Drive Encryption AND Device Encryption enabled?

Windows 10 BitLocker Drive Encryption AND Device Encryption enabled?: Recently I looked into enabling "BitLocker Drive Encryption" on Windows 10 Pro. After enabling it, I discovered that "Device Encryption" under Settings -> Update and Security -> Device Encryption was already enabled. This is a new Lenovo laptop from 12/2020, bought from...
  7. Can't enable device encryption

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't enable device encryption: Hi everyone, I'm trying to set up device encryption on my laptop with Windows 10 Home. I've checked and I have TPM 2.0 but when I look under system information I get: "Reason for failed automatic device encryption: Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not...
  8. cannot enable device encryption

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    cannot enable device encryption: looking at msinfo I get the following reason : Device Encryption Support : Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not Modern Standby, Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected Can someone explain to me how...
  9. Device Encryption and BitLocker

Device Encryption and BitLocker: Hello MS Community! Posting a subject name as Device Encryption and BitLocker, would it be correct to have it as: BitLocker Device Encryption and standard BitLocker? It's been way too late for me to know about Device Encryption and I hope the experts about this subject...
  10. BitLocker encryption is enabled on your OS

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BitLocker encryption is enabled on your OS: ***Modify title from: Trying to change boot configuration, but BitLocker prompts recovery mode - except I run Windows 10 Home, and don't have BitLocker installed?*** I am optimizing my Wintows 10 laptop by changing the boot settings to use all of my processors, not GUI...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. bitlocker could not be enabled after imaging system drive