Windows 10: Bitlocker Drive locks every time I boot so have to enter the key again and again...

Discus and support Bitlocker Drive locks every time I boot so have to enter the key again and again... in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I was prompted with a screen during startup which asked to input Bitlocker key to continue.I managed to find the Bitlocker key and it started the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by HARSHIT BEDI, Jun 28, 2022.

1. Bitlocker Drive locks every time I boot so have to enter the key again and again...

I was prompted with a screen during startup which asked to input Bitlocker key to continue.I managed to find the Bitlocker key and it started the computer and I thought that the issue has been resolved, but every time I boot my system, I am prompted with the same screen and I have to enter the long key again and again.I also found a way to turn off Bitlocker encryption but I found that it is not safe to turn it off,So please tell a way to get rid of this prompt Safely...

:)

HARSHIT BEDI, Jun 28, 2022

2. Issues with entering recovery key for safe mode

Hello,

Apology for the delay in response.

What is the make and model of your device?

Did you tried using function keys(F1-F10) to enter BitLocker recovery key?

Did you tried using some other external keyboard?

Suggest you to disable the Bit locker Drive Encryption to see if it helps. You can follow the below mentioned steps and check if it helps

To turn off BitLocker Drive Encryption:

• Click Start, type Manage BitLocker and select same from the list.

• Under BitLocker Drive Encryption, find the drive on which you want BitLocker Drive Encryption turned off(I.e. In this case you system drive), and click
      Turn Off BitLocker.

• A message is displayed, informing you that the drive will be decrypted and that decryption may take some time. Click
      Decrypt the drive to continue and turn off BitLocker on the drive.

Once done, try to check if you're able to boot into Safe Mode successfully.

Keep us posted for any concerns with windows, we're glad to assist you.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Jun 28, 2022
  3. Junaid_A Win User
    Can't locate the bitlocker key

Hi Chris,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft community forums.

I understand that it can be difficult when your own computer is inaccessible due to some changes that could have happened. However, let's try a few troubleshooting steps and see if we can access the drive.

• Are you aware of any changes that happened on the computer prior to this issue?
    • Did you setup a BitLocker on your device before?

If you’ve not setup the BitLocker and it’s still prompting for the key, you may try to locate the BitLocker key on your Microsoft account, which will help you access the drive. Refer

Find my BitLocker recovery key
    to know how to find the BitLocker recovery key.

If no recovery key is found, you may enable the secure boot setting from BIOS and check if you can access the drive. Follow the steps listed below to enable
    secure boot.

• Power off the device and then power it on.
    • Look for a message on the boot screen just before or after the manufacturer logo appears. You may need to press the
      ‘F1’,’F2’, or
      ‘Delete’
      button, whatever key is indicated on the boot screen to enter BIOS Settings.
    • Within BIOS, choose the tab ‘BOOT’.
    Note:
    Depending on the BIOS manufacturer this page could be
    BOOT, ADVANCED, STARTUP etc.

• Look for a setting called
      ‘UEFI Secure Boot’
      and toggle the Secure Boot setting to
      ‘Enabled’.

Note:
    Each BIOS could have a different name for
    UEFI Secure Boot.
    These are the keywords to look for:
    ‘UEFI’, ‘Secure Boot’,‘Legacy Boot’.

• Restart the machine now to see if you can access the drive.

Note:

Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the
    configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

If you still can’t access the drive, I suggest you to post your query in the

TechNet forums
    . Our support professionals, equipped with knowledge on BitLocker, will help you further.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Jun 28, 2022
  4. Bitlocker Drive locks every time I boot so have to enter the key again and again...

Bitlocker Key

Hi,

Thank you for posting your concern. It is good that you know the Bitlocker key to properly get into the computer. To help you turn off the Bitlocker key, you can follow the steps below:

Please make sure you are signed as the Administrator of the computer.

To suspend BitLocker Drive Encryption on an operating system drive

• Click Start, click Control Panel, click
      System and Security
      , and then click BitLocker Drive Encryption.

• Click Suspend Protection for the operating system drive.

• A message is displayed, informing you that your data will not be protected while BitLocker is suspended and asking if you want to suspend BitLocker Drive Encryption. Click
      Yes to continue and suspend BitLocker on the drive.

To turn off BitLocker Drive Encryption

• Click Start, click Control Panel, click
      System and Security
      , and then click BitLocker Drive Encryption.

• Find the drive on which you want BitLocker Drive Encryption turned off, and click
      Turn Off BitLocker.

• A message is displayed, informing you that the drive will be decrypted and that decryption may take some time. Click
      Decrypt the drive to continue and turn off BitLocker on the drive.

Let us know if this resolves your concern.

Lemuel Cie, Jun 28, 2022
Thema:

Bitlocker Drive locks every time I boot so have to enter the key again and again...

1. Bitlocker Drive locks every time I boot so have to enter the key again and again... - Similar Threads - Bitlocker Drive locks

2. KB4023057 downloads again and again every time I check for updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    KB4023057 downloads again and again every time I check for updates: Picture attached. Every time I click "Check for Updates" it downloads, installs, and adds one more to the list. I'd chalk it up to quirky windows behavior and move on, but the issue started with a BSOD that kept me from booting, and I had to do a system restore.Things I have...
  3. KB4023057 downloads again and again every time I check for updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    KB4023057 downloads again and again every time I check for updates: Picture attached. Every time I click "Check for Updates" it downloads, installs, and adds one more to the list. I'd chalk it up to quirky windows behavior and move on, but the issue started with a BSOD that kept me from booting, and I had to do a system restore.Things I have...
  4. Enter the recovery key to get going again

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Enter the recovery key to get going again: A client of mine just called from the Bahamas - he says when he turned on his computer it said bitlocker was asking for a security key. He's been using this PC for 2 months. I never turned on bitlocker on his computer. He doesn't have admin rights. Put a gun to his head and...
  5. Enter the recovery key to get going again

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Enter the recovery key to get going again: A client of mine just called from the Bahamas - he says when he turned on his computer it said bitlocker was asking for a security key. He's been using this PC for 2 months. I never turned on bitlocker on his computer. He doesn't have admin rights. Put a gun to his head and...
  6. Bitlocker Drive locks every time I boot so have to enter the key again and again...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker Drive locks every time I boot so have to enter the key again and again...: I was prompted with a screen during startup which asked to input Bitlocker key to continue.I managed to find the Bitlocker key and it started the computer and I thought that the issue has been resolved, but every time I boot my system, I am prompted with the same screen and I...
  7. I have to enter password to email again and again

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    I have to enter password to email again and again: Windows 10 Mail demands that I enter the password every time I try to enter. I get the message “fix your account”. I think this problem appeared after the Windows 10 update....
  8. Usb drive not booting AGAIN!!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Usb drive not booting AGAIN!!: The following is a copy of a usb booting issue when I started using Windows 10 in 2017. I use Casper 10 to create my bootable backup copies of the primary drive. In the event the primary crashes (which happens often due to the experiments I may be conducting), I can boot to...
  9. Usb drive not booting AGAIN!!

in Windows 10 Support
    Usb drive not booting AGAIN!!: The following is a copy of a usb booting issue when I started using Windows 10 in 2017. I use Casper 10 to create my bootable backup copies of the primary drive. In the event the primary crashes (which happens often due to the experiments I may be conducting), I can boot to...
  10. BitLocker asking for Key every time I boot the system

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    BitLocker asking for Key every time I boot the system: After a Dual Boot, every time I boot the system the BitLocker ask me for a key recover. I have already the key, but I don't know how I can desativate this message....