Windows 10: BitLocker drive re-encrypted itself, unprompted... is there any way to access these files?

Discus and support BitLocker drive re-encrypted itself, unprompted... is there any way to access these files? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; A user's laptop died on him so I took out his BitLocker encrypted drive and began transferring files. Suddenly, in the middle of the file transfer, I... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by George Carathanasis, Jun 26, 2019.

1. BitLocker drive re-encrypted itself, unprompted... is there any way to access these files?

A user's laptop died on him so I took out his BitLocker encrypted drive and began transferring files. Suddenly, in the middle of the file transfer, I got asked for a BitLocker PIN. The recovery key does not match the user's recovery key in AD. I checked the properties of the new laptop in AD and it says "No items in this view" under the BitLocker Recovery tab.

Is there any way to get these files or are they lost forever?

Thanks

:)

George Carathanasis, Jun 26, 2019

2. BitLocker Encrypted Hard Drive to MAC

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you.

I suggest you to perform below mentioned steps to disable BitLocker.

To disable BitLocker I would suggest you try the following steps and see if it helps.

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Control Panel.

• Change View by from Category
      to Large Icons/Small Icons.

• Click on BitLocker Drive Encryption and click on
      Turn BitLocker Off.

• Follow on screen instructions. Click on Decrypt the Drive
      when the message appears.
    I would suggest you click on the link below and refer the following article.

Scenario 12: Turning Off BitLocker Drive Encryption (Windows 7)

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee424315(v=ws.10).aspx

(You can refer the steps in the above link as they are applicable for Windows 10 as well)

Check if it helps.

I hope the information helps. Please keep us posted on the issue. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Aswin_Anand, Jun 27, 2019
  3. File back up to bitlockered external drive

Thanks John.

By trial and error the solution is,

• Set the file back up to the desired external USB drive, Back up using file history.
    • Run backup to completion.
    • Dismount, (Remove) the drive used.
    • Remount (Plug in) the drive used for the file back up (Steps 1&2) and encrypt using Bitlocker.
    Note you can only encrypt drives using some versions of Windows (Pro for eg not Home)

• Once the external drive has been encrypted dismount.
    • Remount the drive, go to the file back up option, Open, Settings, Backup,
      Back up using file history
    • The drive should now still be visible and has been encrypted.
    • Accessing the drive will be dependant on how it was set up in Bitlocker,
      Open with this PC, password, pin code
      etc.
    • Repeat file back up as in the first two steps.

Hope this helps someone else.

Martin Holme, Jun 27, 2019
  4. BitLocker drive re-encrypted itself, unprompted... is there any way to access these files?

Device Encryption not avaiable

Hello Fraczek,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

We understand your concern in this regard.

• Are you referring to BitLocker Drive Encryption?
    • What preventing you from doing this?
    • Did you get any error message or code while doing this?

Before you come up with the above information, suggest you to refer the article

Help protect your files using BitLocker Drive Encryption
    and see if it help you.

Do refer the article
    Windows BitLocker Drive Encryption Step-by-Step Guide
    and check if it help you with the required information.

Keep us posted if you require further assistance.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Jun 27, 2019
  5. File back up to bitlockered external drive

Thanks John.

By trial and error the solution is,

• Set the file back up to the desired external USB drive, Back up using file history.
    • Run backup to completion.
    • Dismount, (Remove) the drive used.
    • Remount (Plug in) the drive used for the file back up (Steps 1&2) and encrypt using Bitlocker.
    Note you can only encrypt drives using some versions of Windows (Pro for eg not Home)

• Once the external drive has been encrypted dismount.
    • Remount the drive, go to the file back up option, Open, Settings, Backup,
      Back up using file history
    • The drive should now still be visible and has been encrypted.
    • Accessing the drive will be dependant on how it was set up in Bitlocker,
      Open with this PC, password, pin code
      etc.
    • Repeat file back up as in the first two steps.

Hope this helps someone else.

Martin Holme, Jun 27, 2019
  6. Device Encryption not avaiable

Hello Fraczek,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

We understand your concern in this regard.

• Are you referring to BitLocker Drive Encryption?
    • What preventing you from doing this?
    • Did you get any error message or code while doing this?

Before you come up with the above information, suggest you to refer the article

Help protect your files using BitLocker Drive Encryption
    and see if it help you.

Do refer the article
    Windows BitLocker Drive Encryption Step-by-Step Guide
    and check if it help you with the required information.

Keep us posted if you require further assistance.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Jun 27, 2019
Thema:

BitLocker drive re-encrypted itself, unprompted... is there any way to access these files?

1. BitLocker drive re-encrypted itself, unprompted... is there any way to access these files? - Similar Threads - BitLocker drive encrypted

2. Is there any way to get Bitlocker full disk encryption (not device encryption) on a laptop...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there any way to get Bitlocker full disk encryption (not device encryption) on a laptop...: I’m part of a Microsoft 365 Home family plan. Is there any way to implement full disk encryption using Bitlocker in this scenario? Or is Bitlocker FDE exclusively available to Windows 10 Pro editions? Device encryption isn’t enough for my use case - I need to be able to...
  3. Access a Bitlocker encrypted system drive as external drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Access a Bitlocker encrypted system drive as external drive: I am getting rid of a desktop with a bitlocker encrypted C drive. I want to physically remove that drive and have access to it from another pc via external usb dock or enclosire Bitlocker question: Do I need to decrypt it first ? I was thinking with the key or the password...
  4. Access a Bitlocker encrypted system drive as external drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Access a Bitlocker encrypted system drive as external drive: I am getting rid of a desktop with a bitlocker encrypted C drive. I want to physically remove that drive and have access to it from another pc via external usb dock or enclosire Bitlocker question: Do I need to decrypt it first ? I was thinking with the key or the password...
  5. Bitlocker encrypted drive access denied

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Bitlocker encrypted drive access denied: When I open bitlocker password protected drive than error shows that "The code execution cannot proceed because FVEAPI.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem". plz help me and how to fix this error. window 10 pro education version1909 [ATTACH]...
  6. Unable to access BitLocker encrypted drive

Unable to access BitLocker encrypted drive: I add bitlocker to one off my drive after window it cant open with the password and even with the bitlocker recovery key . ***Original title: Bitlocker***...
  7. Accessing the files while encrypting a drive using Bitlocker

Accessing the files while encrypting a drive using Bitlocker: Hello there, If I'm encrypting a drive using Bitlocker but some folders in the same drive are locked using a third party software Folder Locker Then what the whole drive be encrypted by Bitlocker and will ignore the privileges of that third party software OR what this...
  8. Bitlocker Encruption--Laptop Encrypted itself!

Bitlocker Encruption--Laptop Encrypted itself!: I logged into my Dell Laptop on 3-9-19 only to have a screen come up that read: "BitLocker" and "Enter the recovery key to get going again (keyboard Layout US)" I never set up a BitLocker key and as far as I can tell Microsoft must have sent an update that caused the laptop...
  9. Bitlocker Drive Encryption

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bitlocker Drive Encryption: I got 500 Gb drive , about 450 Gb of data I started the encryption process , it reached 58.7% and stuck there without a change since yesterday please advice. Thanks [ATTACH]...
  10. Accessing Bitlocker Drive Encryption menu

Accessing Bitlocker Drive Encryption menu: Although I'm an Admin on my Win 10 Pro system (Surface Laptop), I can't access the subject menu. Instead, I receive the SysAdmin notice, as in the screenshot. This seems like a new "feature," as I could access it from my previous Win 10 Surface. I suppose that I could make...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. bitlocker driver re-encrypted automatically