Windows 10: Bitlocker Enabled Automatically - How to switch this off

Discus and support Bitlocker Enabled Automatically - How to switch this off in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, We are a reseller of HP machines and over the past few months we are having issues Windows 10 and Bitlocker. There was a patch a couple of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Jonathan Stone- [O365], Nov 5, 2018.

1. Bitlocker Enabled Automatically - How to switch this off

Hi,

We are a reseller of HP machines and over the past few months we are having issues Windows 10 and Bitlocker.

There was a patch a couple of weeks back which caused a subset of HP workstations to bluescreen and keep rebooting. We found that when we tried troubleshooting the hard disk, we were prompted for a Recovery Key before we were allowed access to the hard drive. Now we NEVER set up Bitlocker on the workstation hard drives, we only set it up on laptops. So we have no idea at what point Bitlocker was enabled. I phoned HP and they say that they NEVER turn it on when they install Windows on their desktops. So it doesn't leave HP with Bitlocker enabled.

Is this being switched on automatically by an update to Windows 10 or how can I find out? And when automatic encryption is switched on, where is the Recovery Key?

thanks,

:)

Jonathan Stone- [O365], Nov 5, 2018

2. BitLocker won't enable on Windows 10 after update on Aug 9

Hi Brenda,

I would be happy to assist you.

Before I assist you I would like to know the information below,

• Do you have a Windows 10 copy of the operating system?

I suggest you check whether the Bit locker is ON or OFF using the steps below.

Can you verify if BitLocker is enabled or disabled on your device? You can Enable/disable BitLocker by going to Desktop and follow these steps:

• Swipe Right to Left to bring up the Charm.

• Choose Settings.

• Choose Control Panel.

• Select BitLocker Drive Encryption.

• Verify whether BitLocker is on or off on each device.
    Also I suggest you to enable the WinRE so that you can enter the bit locker key and proceed.

When WinRE is disabled, you cannot enable BitLocker, and you receive an error message that resembles the following.

This PC doesn't support entering a BitLocker recovery password during startup. Ask your administrator to configure Windows Recovery Environment so that you can use BitLocker.

The solution would be to manually enable the windows recovery environment:

• Copying the winre.wim file from c:\windows\system32\recovery\ to a folder on a recovery partition. (The partition need to have a drive letter at this point.)

• Set the RE Image path. Example: reagentc /setreimage /path r:\recovery\windowsre

• Enable RE with command: reagentc /enable

• (You may remove the drive letter for the recovery partition after you have done this.)

• Bit locker will be enabled.
    If the issue still persists, suggest you to post your query on the below link.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831507(v=ws.11).aspx

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Thank you.

Vidyashree_C, Nov 5, 2018
  3. Viruzz Win User
    HELP: Automatic BitLocker Unlock.

Please help,
    Looking for a way( script or maybe some unknown windows command or registry hack) to automatically unlock a non OS BitLocker encrypted drive on Log-In.

My situation: Right now my OS SSD Samsung 840 Evo has a boot password, its not Bios option nor windows eDrive but the third one, the one you need 3rd party software to activate it, had to purchase EMBASSY Security Center to do it.
    No issues here, the OS drive is locked and encrypted.

One of My HDD Drives is encrypted with Bitlocker, so every time my PC is booted, I need to enter windows log-in password and then open my computer and enter another password to unlock the drive.
    Whats worse is that unlike the SSD that needs unlock password only after full shutdown the Bitlocker needs it every log-in.

Windows has an option to Automaticlly unlock all BitLocker drives on boot, BUT the issue here is that this official option only works if your OS drive is also BitLocker encrypted and then log-in password unlocks everything.

Im looking for maybe a windows Script or some Hidden command to automatically unlock the BitLocker drive.

Even if it Sounds insecure like having the actual password somewhere in the registry, text file or script I dont care because the OS drive is encrypted and passworded.
    Also I have a TPM chip I can encrypt any file/folder so even if file is copied from my PC when its fully unlocked the files wont be readable anywhere unless unencrypted before.

If its important im on 8.1 pro 64bit

P.S. If there is no solution for my problem then my only choice is when windows 10 comes out to do a clean install on another Samsung 840 Evo that was previously cleared and eDrive option enabled

Thanks in advance.

Viruzz, Nov 5, 2018
  4. Viruzz Win User

Bitlocker Enabled Automatically - How to switch this off

HELP: Automatic BitLocker Unlock.

Thank you sir, ill try your solution.

Windows Auto unlock ONLY works in case you have Bitlocker on your system drive, because if your system drive is not encrypted auto unlocking other drives means loss of security.
    But in my case my system drive is Encrypted with hardware encryption that i password unlock during boot. So auto unlocking Bitlocker drives will do fine for me.

Viruzz, Nov 5, 2018
Thema:

Bitlocker Enabled Automatically - How to switch this off

1. Bitlocker Enabled Automatically - How to switch this off - Similar Threads - Bitlocker Enabled Automatically

2. How to switch off automatic connection to Bluetooth devices on startup?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to switch off automatic connection to Bluetooth devices on startup?: Hi,I don't want my PC to take over any Bluetooth device on start up. I hate when I listen to a nice track and then open my PC, and it automatically captures the running! Bluetooth devices in reach. How can I switch that off?Thanks...
  3. How to switch off automatic connection to Bluetooth devices on startup?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to switch off automatic connection to Bluetooth devices on startup?: Hi,I don't want my PC to take over any Bluetooth device on start up. I hate when I listen to a nice track and then open my PC, and it automatically captures the running! Bluetooth devices in reach. How can I switch that off?Thanks...
  4. BitLocker Recovery Key on a machine with BitLocker enabled automatically

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    BitLocker Recovery Key on a machine with BitLocker enabled automatically: May you please assist. We have recently noted that most of our new purchased computers in my organisation have BitLocker enabled automatically when the machine is setup. Users are are not aware that they have BitLocker since BitLocker seems not to have been setup to require...
  5. After Windows Update Is automatically Bitlocker enable

After Windows Update Is automatically Bitlocker enable: Hi After Windows Update Is automatically Bitlocker enable. know is asking Bitlocker key where i check my MS account it's show Bitlocker is not enable. how i have open laptop without bitlocker key. [ATTACH]...
  6. PC constantly switching off and restarting automatically

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC constantly switching off and restarting automatically: Hi My PC is not yet 2 years old. Since the start, I have been experiencing shutdown and automatic restart. Not playing games on this, using Microsoft Word for my work and losing everything I've typed when a shutdown occurs. I did a complete wipe of everything on here...
  7. Sound devices automatically switching off

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Sound devices automatically switching off: As it says....sound 'device' changing before my eyes....also mutes on/off Have been to device manager...seems best drivers are installed. Have also used troubleshooter.....invariably comes to conclusion that the device is unplugged. Win 10 Pro / 1903 / Build 18362.267...
  8. Automatically enable touchscreen when switching to tablet mode

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Automatically enable touchscreen when switching to tablet mode: Hi everyone, I usually keep the touchscreen disabled on my 2-1 Dell Inspiron 15 5579 (Windows 10), to save battery when it is not needed, but when I switch to tablet mode it is obviously necessary to enable it. Does anyone know if there is a way to set the activation of...
  9. How can I switch off automatic reboots?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How can I switch off automatic reboots?: It happened again, during a long-running installation (two hours) on a virtual machine on my desktop. Windows decided that nothing important was going on and rebooted because it had just updated itself. Thankyou Windows. I can restart the installation. Another hour lost. Is...
  10. Bitlocker is automatically enabled on NTFS partition - how to disable?

Bitlocker is automatically enabled on NTFS partition - how to disable?: I'm just installing my notebook from scratch. I set up a dual boot with Fedora 27 and Windows 10 Pro. Both OSes are installed on the same SSD (1 TB). The system is EFI with Secure Boot activated. First of all I installed Win10 on a 200GB partition. Afterwards Fedora...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to switch off bitlocker encryption on hdd