Windows 10: Bitlocker Enabled on New HP Laptop - Disable or Keep?

Discus and support Bitlocker Enabled on New HP Laptop - Disable or Keep? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I just bought a new HP ProBook and I've just noticed it is supplied with Bitlocker enabled on the system drive. I only use the laptop in a secure... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Steve C, Aug 17, 2019.

1. Steve C Win User

Bitlocker Enabled on New HP Laptop - Disable or Keep?

I just bought a new HP ProBook and I've just noticed it is supplied with Bitlocker enabled on the system drive.

I only use the laptop in a secure location for general home PC use. Are there any disadvantages of keeping Bitlocker enabled on the drive? Macrium Reflect works OK but my Partition Magic bootable USB stick doesn't find the bitlocked partitions. I also need to do a BIOS update since the latest version was not installed. Are there issues updating the BIOS with bitlocker enabled?

:)

Steve C, Aug 17, 2019

2. BitLocker won't enable on Windows 10 after update on Aug 9

Hi Brenda,

I would be happy to assist you.

Before I assist you I would like to know the information below,

• Do you have a Windows 10 copy of the operating system?

I suggest you check whether the Bit locker is ON or OFF using the steps below.

Can you verify if BitLocker is enabled or disabled on your device? You can Enable/disable BitLocker by going to Desktop and follow these steps:

• Swipe Right to Left to bring up the Charm.

• Choose Settings.

• Choose Control Panel.

• Select BitLocker Drive Encryption.

• Verify whether BitLocker is on or off on each device.
    Also I suggest you to enable the WinRE so that you can enter the bit locker key and proceed.

When WinRE is disabled, you cannot enable BitLocker, and you receive an error message that resembles the following.

This PC doesn't support entering a BitLocker recovery password during startup. Ask your administrator to configure Windows Recovery Environment so that you can use BitLocker.

The solution would be to manually enable the windows recovery environment:

• Copying the winre.wim file from c:\windows\system32\recovery\ to a folder on a recovery partition. (The partition need to have a drive letter at this point.)

• Set the RE Image path. Example: reagentc /setreimage /path r:\recovery\windowsre

• Enable RE with command: reagentc /enable

• (You may remove the drive letter for the recovery partition after you have done this.)

• Bit locker will be enabled.
    If the issue still persists, suggest you to post your query on the below link.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831507(v=ws.11).aspx

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Thank you.

Vidyashree_C, Aug 17, 2019
  3. Clone Bitlocker enable drive to SSD

Keitaro

My name is Andre Da Costa; an Independent Consultant, Windows Insider MVP and Windows & Devices for IT MVP. I'm here to help you with your problem.

Heed the advice of the software, you must disable BitLocker before cloning. This is highly recommend if you ever want to get access to the drive.

There is nothing wrong with having to re-enable it after restoring the clone.

Step 1: disable BitLocker.

Step 2: clone drive

Step 3: restore the cloned image to the new drive.

Step 4: Re-Enable BitLocker.

Andre for Directly, Aug 17, 2019
  4. Bitlocker Enabled on New HP Laptop - Disable or Keep?

Can not enable/disable HP Laptop touchpad.

Can not enable/disable HP Laptop touchpad

john j miller iii, Aug 17, 2019
Thema:

Bitlocker Enabled on New HP Laptop - Disable or Keep?

1. Bitlocker Enabled on New HP Laptop - Disable or Keep? - Similar Threads - Bitlocker Enabled Laptop

2. New HP Laptop keeps Crashing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New HP Laptop keeps Crashing: Hi, I got a new laptop at work and out of the 7 days I've worked, it has crashed about 9 times. I managed to save my data every time, but I can't keep getting interrupted by surprise like thisHere's my system data and event logsystem dataevent log...
  3. New HP Laptop keeps Crashing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New HP Laptop keeps Crashing: Hi, I got a new laptop at work and out of the 7 days I've worked, it has crashed about 9 times. I managed to save my data every time, but I can't keep getting interrupted by surprise like thisHere's my system data and event logsystem dataevent log...
  4. How to recover the new HP laptop? Bitlocker problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to recover the new HP laptop? Bitlocker problem: I bought a new HP laptop and setup everything, I created a MS account too! Then after a month, some update came up and after restart it is asking for bitlocker password! now I forgot the MS email id which I created, how can I recover my laptop? I have the bill, and everything...
  5. How to recover the new HP laptop? Bitlocker problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to recover the new HP laptop? Bitlocker problem: I bought a new HP laptop and setup everything, I created a MS account too! Then after a month, some update came up and after restart it is asking for bitlocker password! now I forgot the MS email id which I created, how can I recover my laptop? I have the bill, and everything...
  6. How to recover the new HP laptop? Bitlocker problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Bitlocker Enabled on New HP Laptop - Disable or Keep?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker Enabled on New HP Laptop - Disable or Keep?: I just bought a new HP ProBook and I've just noticed it is supplied with Bitlocker enabled on the system drive. I only use the laptop in a secure location for general home PC use. Are there any disadvantages of keeping Bitlocker enabled on the drive? Macrium Reflect works OK...
  8. Laptop Bitlocker Enabled No Admin Password

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Laptop Bitlocker Enabled No Admin Password: I have a laptop with Bitlocker enabled, I have no Admin password. I do NOT need the date on the hard drive. 1. How do I format the hard drive 2. Can I just replace the hard drive/SSD and proceed as 'normal' Thanks MJL6514...
  9. Can not enable/disable HP Laptop touchpad.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can not enable/disable HP Laptop touchpad.: Can not enable/disable HP Laptop touchpad https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-not-enabledisable-hp-laptop-touchpad/6203722d-405c-42c2-b3b5-8894213e6d0d
  10. Bitlocker is automatically enabled on NTFS partition - how to disable?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker is automatically enabled on NTFS partition - how to disable?: I'm just installing my notebook from scratch. I set up a dual boot with Fedora 27 and Windows 10 Pro. Both OSes are installed on the same SSD (1 TB). The system is EFI with Secure Boot activated. First of all I installed Win10 on a 200GB partition. Afterwards Fedora...