Windows 10: BitLocker encrypted drive not unlocking with recovery key

Discus and support BitLocker encrypted drive not unlocking with recovery key in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I encrypted an external hard drive a while ago and have since forgotten the password. I have the 48 digit recovery key saved to my computer as a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by kippodiluk, May 22, 2019.

1. BitLocker encrypted drive not unlocking with recovery key

I encrypted an external hard drive a while ago and have since forgotten the password. I have the 48 digit recovery key saved to my computer as a notepad document. The problem I am having is that when I enter the 48 digit recovery key to unlock the drive nothing happens. No message telling me its the incorrect key, no unlocking of the drive, it just freezes and stays as a little window in the top right of my screen unable to back out.

Support has tried to help by directing me to my Microsoft account page to find a current recovery key but my page says no such devices are connected.

I do not recall linking this BitLocker to my Microsoft account and I only have the one account. I am at a total loss as how to retrieve my documents on that external drive.

Is there anything else that I can do to recover these files? Please help

:)

kippodiluk, May 22, 2019

2. Unlocking Bitlocker encrypted system drive without recovery key

A few months ago I encrypted the whole hard drive on my Lenovo X1 Carbon 3rd Gen notebook. There are no partitions. I did not save the recovery key externally, if at all I saved it then it is on the encrypted drive itself.

Today my notebook crashed (whilst updating iTunes) and during restart I see the error message that Windows has a startup problem. It goes through the auto-repair procedure, which fails, and I'm taken to a screen which asks for my Bitlocker recovery key.
    I don't have that so I try the various advanced options like system repair, but none of the options that do not wipe my data seem to work because they need access to the encrypted drive.

1. Is there any way to unlock the drive, given that I know my Bitlocker password but not my Bitlocker recovery key? I am not able to actually get to any screen which asks for the password, every screen is asking for the recovery key.

I tried the command prompt option and entered 'manage-bde -unlock c: -password' which prompts for the password. I enter the password but get the response 'The password you entered failed to unlock the drive'. I'm sure it's the right password. Next I try
    to view the recovery key with 'manage-bde -protectors -get c: -type recoverykey' but the resulting data shows the key ID but not the actual numeric key value (it's just blank).

2. Can anything be done to unlock the drive via the command prompt, or any other route such as a boot disk?

3. Is it possible to generate the numeric recovery key elsewhere if the key ID and the password are known?

4. If I remove the hard drive from this laptop and attach it to another computer as a slave drive, is it possible to unlock it there using the Bitlocker password?

tintomatoes, May 22, 2019
  3. BitLocker encrypted drive not unlocking with recovery key

Bill Smithers, May 22, 2019
Thema:

BitLocker encrypted drive not unlocking with recovery key

1. BitLocker encrypted drive not unlocking with recovery key - Similar Threads - BitLocker encrypted drive

2. failed to unlock Bitlocker encrypted drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    failed to unlock Bitlocker encrypted drive: failed to unlock Bitlocker encrypted drive with error "resetting your protector failed for an unknown reason"I have recovery key, but still failed...
  3. Recovery Key fails to unlock bitlocker encrypted disk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recovery Key fails to unlock bitlocker encrypted disk: I was encrypting a secondary os, w11, and the process required to restart the PC. By default restarted in the primary os, when I tried to continue the encrypting process of the secondary disk, bitlocker asks for the recovery kid. When I insert the correct recovery Key the...
  4. Recovery Key fails to unlock bitlocker encrypted disk

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recovery Key fails to unlock bitlocker encrypted disk: I was encrypting a secondary os, w11, and the process required to restart the PC. By default restarted in the primary os, when I tried to continue the encrypting process of the secondary disk, bitlocker asks for the recovery kid. When I insert the correct recovery Key the...
  5. How to unlock a Bitlocker encrypted folder on a external drive using the recovery key?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to unlock a Bitlocker encrypted folder on a external drive using the recovery key?: Years ago I encrypted a folder on my hard drive with Bitlocker and saved the bitlocker certificate. But somehow I lost the certificate file that I used to unlock the folder by installing it. However, I have the Bitlocker Recovery key to that folder. I tried googling but...
  6. How to unlock a Bitlocker encrypted folder on a external drive using the recovery key?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to unlock a Bitlocker encrypted folder on a external drive using the recovery key?: Years ago I encrypted a folder on my hard drive with Bitlocker and saved the bitlocker certificate. But somehow I lost the certificate file that I used to unlock the folder by installing it. However, I have the Bitlocker Recovery key to that folder. I tried googling but...
  7. BitLocker Drive Encryption Recovery Key

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    BitLocker Drive Encryption Recovery Key: I purchased a second hand HP ProDesk PC and supplier replaced original SSD with new larger capacity. BitLocker was and remains turned on. I wasn't aware until I spent some time updating Win10 Pro and downloading some programs and data.Via Control Panel > BitLocker Drive...
  8. Bitlocker encryption key recovery

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bitlocker encryption key recovery: My Dell windows 10 laptop is acting up. Won't finish booting up.. Try to run clean disk and keep getting asked for my bit locker encryption key... I've never set this up machine bought new in a store. Help! Please... Steve...
  9. BitLocker Drive Encryption Recovery Key

BitLocker Drive Encryption Recovery Key: On Windows 10, I'm trying to set up a Bitlock Recovery Key and I accepted the Print option. On the print out I am being asked to compare the start of the identifier on the print out with the identifier on my computer to see if it matches. Where on the computer would I find...
  10. unlock drive using bitlocker - encryption key is lost

unlock drive using bitlocker - encryption key is lost: Hi Sir, i use lock to use Bitlocker. when i use Bitlocker in windows10 but then i install windows 8 and i unloack my dirve this bitloacker give error . it says password is incorrect. and my encryption key is lost. please help. its very urgent...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. bitlocker key not unlocking hard drive

2. manage-bde off asks for password

3. find recovery key in encrypted drive

4. can not unlock hard drive using bitlocker recovery key,
  5. bitlocker encrypted system drive not unlocking with key