Windows 10: Bitlocker encrypted whole pc!!!!

Discus and support Bitlocker encrypted whole pc!!!! in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi guys, a friend of mine has to solve a very unpleasant situation with her brand new pc. So, she owns an HP Probook 430 G5, all was working fine up... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by cezco, Dec 11, 2018.

1. cezco Win User

Bitlocker encrypted whole pc!!!!

Hi guys, a friend of mine has to solve a very unpleasant situation with her brand new pc. So, she owns an HP Probook 430 G5, all was working fine up till a few days ago, when her pc suddenly entered recovery mode after a normal restart. Weird, but we're sadly all used to it. So normal procedure would state to start pc in safe mode, or at least do some checks with CMD in recovery mode. None of that is applicable here, since when we click on those entries, or any other entries where you may access data on this pc, it asks for recovery keys, telling us we would be able to retrieve them from a certain microsoft website using a serial number provided with the pc. Turns out these are just bitlocker recovery keys, and my friend swears she never heard of bitlocker before, yet again printed or saved these recovery keys in any fashion. So basically, right now, she's locked out of her own pc, and more importantly out of her own data!!! We racked our brains but couldn't figure out a way to at least make a backup of that data, since there seems to be no way to access her hard disks without recovery keys, which leads to believe that if we reinstall windows all data will be lost.

So the thing is, I believe bitlocker was first enabled on her pc as part of a factory preset (I had this experience myself with my own laptop) and since she was unaware of that, bitlocker saved its keys on her Microsoft account, so those should be retrievable. There should be no other option to enable bitlocker on a pc, other than fisically printing those key strings, saving them on an external device (both things she doesn't remember having done ever) or having them sent on the cloud for security backup reasons.

In other words, there should be no way that bitlocker activated itself without giving her keys to disable it eventually, right?

I ask this, since she can't seem to recall wether she did create a local or Microsoft account on her initial setup, so my guess is that she created an account just not knowing it was a Microsoft one and maybe, just maybe, that account still stores those recovery keys that she then may be able to retrieve once she gains access to that account.

So what should be the way to go here? Does Microsoft have by any chance a way to give her back her credentials for her account, as eventually those are linked with windows product key that she actually owns?

Is there a way for her or for Microsoft to recreate those recovery keys by using the hard disks id?

Is there any other way?

Please help us any way you can, we're willing to try anything to solve this unbelievable situation!

:)

cezco, Dec 11, 2018

2. BitLocker Encrypted Hard Drive to MAC

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you.

I suggest you to perform below mentioned steps to disable BitLocker.

To disable BitLocker I would suggest you try the following steps and see if it helps.

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Control Panel.

• Change View by from Category
      to Large Icons/Small Icons.

• Click on BitLocker Drive Encryption and click on
      Turn BitLocker Off.

• Follow on screen instructions. Click on Decrypt the Drive
      when the message appears.
    I would suggest you click on the link below and refer the following article.

Scenario 12: Turning Off BitLocker Drive Encryption (Windows 7)

Scenario 12: Turning Off BitLocker Drive Encryption (Windows 7)

(You can refer the steps in the above link as they are applicable for Windows 10 as well)

Check if it helps.

I hope the information helps. Please keep us posted on the issue. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Aswin_Anand, Dec 12, 2018
  3. Bitlocker vs device encryption in settings

Exist case a w 10 pro PC - old was w 7 pro...
    to support Only Bitlocker and NOT
    device encryption in settings... see shot above....?

reply:

• Yes this PC not support device encryption in settings only Bitlocker
    • No supports both...

Lse123polis, Dec 12, 2018
  4. Bitlocker encrypted whole pc!!!!

Device Encryption not avaiable

Hello Fraczek,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

We understand your concern in this regard.

• Are you referring to BitLocker Drive Encryption?
    • What preventing you from doing this?
    • Did you get any error message or code while doing this?

Before you come up with the above information, suggest you to refer the article

Help protect your files using BitLocker Drive Encryption
    and see if it help you.

Do refer the article
    Windows BitLocker Drive Encryption Step-by-Step Guide
    and check if it help you with the required information.

Keep us posted if you require further assistance.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Dec 12, 2018
Thema:

Bitlocker encrypted whole pc!!!!

1. Bitlocker encrypted whole pc!!!! - Similar Threads - Bitlocker encrypted whole

2. Bitlocker encryption

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker encryption: My laptop is encrypted with a bitlocker and I can't access it. When I go to the recovery key page ot never wants to load and it keeps telling me that "something happened please wait a bit. If this issue persists, contact us" What do I do?...
  3. Bitlocker encrypted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bitlocker encrypted: I recently reseted my laptop which had windows 11 home edition but after setting it up there was this bitlocker encryption on my drive i did decrypted all the drives but one of them is not decrypting so cam anyone help me with that ?...
  4. Bitlocker encryption

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker encryption: Hello, ive been locked out of my windows account, since i need my old security old email. Which i no longer have acces to, ive contacted microsoft, and they gave me 2 options. Wait 30 days to update security mail and i dont know if they even will do it or clean install which...
  5. Bitlocker encryption

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker encryption: Hi, I'm unable to encrypt some of my disks with bitlocker. I have been able to encrypt two SSDs and a single hard drive but the other two hard drives I have simply do not show up in the BitLocker Drive Encryption GUI.One of the disks I have issues with is a 1tb WD black disk...
  6. Bitlocker encryption

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker encryption: Hi, I'm unable to encrypt some of my disks with bitlocker. I have been able to encrypt two SSDs and a single hard drive but the other two hard drives I have simply do not show up in the BitLocker Drive Encryption GUI.One of the disks I have issues with is a 1tb WD black disk...
  7. Bitlocker encryption

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Bitlocker encryption

in Windows 10 Customization
    Bitlocker encryption: Hi Everyone,I am trying to change the bitlocker encryption method to AES 256, And i am trying to find the right command that i can execute from command prompt to change this.Could someone suggest on this?RegardsKevin...
  9. BitLocker encryption

BitLocker encryption: I have a secondary user who has access from another to my OneDrive files. I want to keep it that way. What effect does turning on BitLocker encryption have on their ability to access my OneDrive files?...
  10. Bitlocker Encryption

Bitlocker Encryption: I support a remote laptop at a site I have never been to. I have been assured that the laptop is left only in a secured room and used by two trustworthy people. The following problem has happened twice in the last year. I was informed the bitlocker PIN has stopped working...