Windows 10: BitLocker Encryption Account Question

Discus and support BitLocker Encryption Account Question in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I cannot find this anywhere. Is the encryption in BitLocker per Windows accounts or per Windows installation drive. I understand that unless you log... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by VW00, Aug 16, 2020.

1. VW00 Win User

BitLocker Encryption Account Question

I cannot find this anywhere. Is the encryption in BitLocker per Windows accounts or per Windows installation drive.

I understand that unless you log to the account the drive is locked. encrypted which is fine and the desired outcome. But what happens when you have multiple Windows accounts?

Assume this scenario:

A Main user. Password protected. Bitlocker is enabled on drive C: D: or all other drives.

B Second guest user. No password.

1. If user B logs into Windows? Is the main drive decrypted automatically or only the part for user B?

2. If laptops get stolen, is data on the drive for user A safe and secure still encrypted? Or can they somehow break bitlocker once they log into Windows with account B or access the files in some other way like waiting for some Windows bug exploit?

My main concern is how bitlocker works in this scenario. I understand that bitlocker cannot be broken if the system is shut down and data assuming just regular account that needs log in is lost unless you have the recovery key but there is no information what so ever how secure this is when having more than one windows account that can log into the system.

I also paid the upgrade recently from home to pro because I always wanted encryption for laptops for bitlocker but for my surprise BitLocker is also now included in Windows Home which makes me wonder why I even paid the 99$ upgrade in the first place.

:)

2. BitLocker Encrypted Hard Drive to MAC

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you.

I suggest you to perform below mentioned steps to disable BitLocker.

To disable BitLocker I would suggest you try the following steps and see if it helps.

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Control Panel.

• Change View by from Category
      to Large Icons/Small Icons.

• Click on BitLocker Drive Encryption and click on
      Turn BitLocker Off.

• Follow on screen instructions. Click on Decrypt the Drive
      when the message appears.
    I would suggest you click on the link below and refer the following article.

Scenario 12: Turning Off BitLocker Drive Encryption (Windows 7)

Scenario 12: Turning Off BitLocker Drive Encryption (Windows 7)

(You can refer the steps in the above link as they are applicable for Windows 10 as well)

Check if it helps.

I hope the information helps. Please keep us posted on the issue. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Aswin_Anand, Aug 16, 2020
  3. Bitlocker Drive Encryption

Recently I was attempting to encrypt my drive with bitlocker because windows was suggesting to encrypt them via the security page when logging into my account. Though, when I do attempt to encrypt them with bitlocker it states that my drive is already
    encrypted via bitlocker. I was wondering if there was a different way that it needs to be set up because I was hoping to add the extra layer of security to my drives with bitlocker encryption and password protecting them via a recovery key.

User1234567_953, Aug 16, 2020
  4. BitLocker Encryption Account Question

Bitlocker Drive Encryption(Not Responding) at 84.5%

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand your concern, as you are trying to encrypt the complete hard drive with BitLocker Drive Encryption and now it’s not responding as well.

We would suggest you to refer this
    BitLocker: Use BitLocker Drive Encryption Tools to manage BitLocker
    article and check manage-bde section, if that helps to make the changes.

However, for further queries we would suggest you to post your query in

TechNet
    forums, where we have experts and support professionals who are well equipped with the knowledge on BitLocker to assist you with the appropriate troubleshooting steps.

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Aug 16, 2020
Thema:

BitLocker Encryption Account Question

1. BitLocker Encryption Account Question - Similar Threads - BitLocker Encryption Account

2. Bitlocker encryption

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker encryption: My laptop is encrypted with a bitlocker and I can't access it. When I go to the recovery key page ot never wants to load and it keeps telling me that "something happened please wait a bit. If this issue persists, contact us" What do I do?...
  3. Bitlocker encrypted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bitlocker encrypted: I recently reseted my laptop which had windows 11 home edition but after setting it up there was this bitlocker encryption on my drive i did decrypted all the drives but one of them is not decrypting so cam anyone help me with that ?...
  4. Bitlocker encryption

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker encryption: Hello, ive been locked out of my windows account, since i need my old security old email. Which i no longer have acces to, ive contacted microsoft, and they gave me 2 options. Wait 30 days to update security mail and i dont know if they even will do it or clean install which...
  5. Bitlocker encryption

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker encryption: Hi, I'm unable to encrypt some of my disks with bitlocker. I have been able to encrypt two SSDs and a single hard drive but the other two hard drives I have simply do not show up in the BitLocker Drive Encryption GUI.One of the disks I have issues with is a 1tb WD black disk...
  6. Bitlocker encryption

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bitlocker encryption: Hi, I'm unable to encrypt some of my disks with bitlocker. I have been able to encrypt two SSDs and a single hard drive but the other two hard drives I have simply do not show up in the BitLocker Drive Encryption GUI.One of the disks I have issues with is a 1tb WD black disk...
  7. Bitlocker encryption

in Windows 10 Customization
    Bitlocker encryption: Hi Everyone,I am trying to change the bitlocker encryption method to AES 256, And i am trying to find the right command that i can execute from command prompt to change this.Could someone suggest on this?RegardsKevin...
  8. BitLocker encryption

BitLocker encryption: I have a secondary user who has access from another to my OneDrive files. I want to keep it that way. What effect does turning on BitLocker encryption have on their ability to access my OneDrive files?...
  9. Bitlocker Encryption

Bitlocker Encryption: I support a remote laptop at a site I have never been to. I have been assured that the laptop is left only in a secured room and used by two trustworthy people. The following problem has happened twice in the last year. I was informed the bitlocker PIN has stopped working...
  10. Question On Bitlocker Encryption

Question On Bitlocker Encryption: I'm trying to make sure my computer is FIPS compliant with government standards of encryption outlined inSP 800-171 Rev 2. As of now, I enabled FIPS mode in the group policy as well as turned Bitlocker off and back on to ensure it is using the proper encryption method. I have...