Windows 10: BitLocker encryption is enabled on your OS

Discus and support BitLocker encryption is enabled on your OS in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; ***Modify title from: Trying to change boot configuration, but BitLocker prompts recovery mode - except I run Windows 10 Home, and don't have BitLocker... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by SwanthonySwan, Nov 26, 2018.

1. BitLocker encryption is enabled on your OS

***Modify title from: Trying to change boot configuration, but BitLocker prompts recovery mode - except I run Windows 10 Home, and don't have BitLocker installed?***

I am optimizing my Wintows 10 laptop by changing the boot settings to use all of my processors, not GUI boot, and a timeout of only 5 seconds.

However, when I click apply, this prompt shows up:

BitLocker encryption is enabled on your OS 04d1e8f8-3c55-49d7-ada2-1e17cfad040b?upload=true.png

...Except that I don't have BitLocker installed and I run Windows 10 Home edition, which does not come with BitLocker. Why do I get this prompt? Is it safe to proceed? Will I lose access to my hard drive if I do so? If I DO have a recovery key, how do I find it and write it down into a safe place?

Thank you all for your help.

:)

SwanthonySwan, Nov 26, 2018

2. BitLocker Encrypted Hard Drive to MAC

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you.

I suggest you to perform below mentioned steps to disable BitLocker.

To disable BitLocker I would suggest you try the following steps and see if it helps.

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Control Panel.

• Change View by from Category
      to Large Icons/Small Icons.

• Click on BitLocker Drive Encryption and click on
      Turn BitLocker Off.

• Follow on screen instructions. Click on Decrypt the Drive
      when the message appears.
    I would suggest you click on the link below and refer the following article.

Scenario 12: Turning Off BitLocker Drive Encryption (Windows 7)

Scenario 12: Turning Off BitLocker Drive Encryption (Windows 7)

(You can refer the steps in the above link as they are applicable for Windows 10 as well)

Check if it helps.

I hope the information helps. Please keep us posted on the issue. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Aswin_Anand, Nov 26, 2018
  3. Not Able to Enable Hardware Based Bitlocker Encryption On Surface Pro 4 (Windows 10 Pro)

Ok, I have a feeling that this is a larger Windows 10 issue, but I am experiencing this with the Surface Pro 4, the ideal test hardware for anything Microsoft, right? BitLocker encryption is enabled on your OS :)

Here is what we are trying to accomplish:

Encrypt our Surface Pro 4's (win 10 Pro) using Hardware-Based Encryption

Why?

A) Because it is faster for the SSD to perform the encryption rather than the process, since the SSD is already encrypted

B) Better battery life (because the processor is not encrypting the volume)

C) Performing software encryption on an already encrypted volume defeats many of the internal optimizations that SSDs have built in (leading to slower performance)

How?

We have taken stock Surface Pro 4s, straight from the box. No applications or updates have been installed, we have not added to a domain. The only modification we have made is to the Local Group Policy:

Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Bitlocker Drive Encryption/Operating System Drives

*Require additional authentication at startup (Enabled, default options)

*Enable use of BitLocker Aauthentication requireing preboot keyboard input on slates (Enabled, default options)

*Configure use of hardware-based encryption for operating system drives (Enabled, default options)

What's Wrong:

When I go to enable Bitlocker, I am being provided the prompt to encrypt Used Only, or Whole Drive. From all of the literature I have read, this prompt indicates Software Encryption. When I select Full Drive, it takes a while (over 10 minutes) to encrypt.
    Again, from my reading, Hardware

Encryption should be immediate (as everything is already encrypted).

Question:

What am I missing? Is there an issue with Hardware Encryption that I have not been able to identify on the Surface Pro 4? Is this an OS issue? Are there any other troubleshooting steps that I can take a look at? Again, these are stock units, fresh out of
    the box from Microsoft.

Sources (these are just some, all have been verified using additional sources that repeat the information):

Slower Performance- Hardware Accelerated BitLocker Encryption: Microsoft Windows 8 eDrive Investigated with Crucial M500

Hardware Accelerated BitLocker Encryption: Microsoft Windows 8 eDrive Investigated with Crucial M500

Steps to enable encryption- How to Enable BitLocker Hardware Encryption with SSDs

How to Enable BitLocker Hardware Encryption with SSDs • Helge Klein

Technet on Why to Hardware Encrypt - Encrypted Hard Drive

Encrypted Hard Drive

GP Settings to Enable Hardware Encryption - Enabling Hardware Acceleration of BitLocker

Site Unavailable

Tags Bitlocker, Encryption, Windows 10 Pro, Hardware Encryption, 1511

PhillyPhotogMagee, Nov 26, 2018
  4. tekkie Win User

BitLocker encryption is enabled on your OS

BitLocker hardware encryption cannot be activated on Win10 10586/1511

Hey,

I'm having trouble enabling hardware encryption with BitLocker using Windows 10 build 10586 on a clean install with a Samsung 850 SSD. The encryption worked flawlessly before on build 10240.

I've spent hours and attempted multiple solutions and made several tests.

As mentioned, on the same machine, if clean installing build 10240 (RTM, before November update) right now, the encryption works.

I have UEFI on with Legacy/CSM off, Fast Boot on, Secure Boot on, and a clean GPT installation after using the 'diskpart clean' command.

As always, it's required to change a group policy to allow additional authentication at startup. I did that.

On a clean installation of build 10586, the wizard will say 'parameter is incorrect' when attempting to start encryption.

Microsoft did announce some BitLocker-related changes for build 10586: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt403325

There are also new group policies added. I've tried all combinations. They now allow you to try and force a specific encryption cipher. Samsung uses XES-AES256. I tried forcing that (as well as all other combinations) but the same error returns.

Now, here's where it gets interesting, and possibly why no reports about this have surfaced yet:
    If you enable the encryption on build 10240, and then upgrade to 10586, the encryption will remain and will work properly on build 10586.

If you then attempt to 'Reset this PC', and choose the 'keep nothing' option, it will warn you that BitLocker will be disabled. Once it's done cleaning, if you attempt to enable encryption, it will again show the error.

Even if you don't reset the PC, but simply disable BitLocker on 10586 and then attempt to re-enable it, it will no longer work.

tl;dr: Hardware encryption via BitLocker on build 10586 cannot be enabled on a clean install. Currently-known workaround is installing 10240, encrypting it, then upgrading to 10586.

Any solutions would be appreciated, thanks!

tekkie, Nov 26, 2018
Thema:

BitLocker encryption is enabled on your OS

1. BitLocker encryption is enabled on your OS - Similar Threads - BitLocker encryption enabled

2. Can't enable bitlocker encryption.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't enable bitlocker encryption.: Hello. I have a problem. I can't enable bitlocker encryption. I have windows 11 21h2 home single language, I also recently performed a local reinstall of windows....
  3. Can't enable bitlocker encryption.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't enable bitlocker encryption.: Hello. I have a problem. I can't enable bitlocker encryption. I have windows 11 21h2 home single language, I also recently performed a local reinstall of windows....
  4. Enabling PTT with bitlocker encrypted system drive.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Enabling PTT with bitlocker encrypted system drive.: Hi,I currently have a Win 10 pro desktop with no TPM and have used the group policy to allow me to encrypt the system drive so I'm asked for the decryption password in the pre-boot environment. I've since discovered while looking at Win 11 compatibility that the BIOS allows...
  5. Facing issue when enable bitlocker encryption

in Windows 10 Customization
    Facing issue when enable bitlocker encryption: Hi, When I try to enable Bitlocker encryption showing error "This device can't use a Trusted Platform Module". Your administrator must set the "Allow Bitlocker without a compatible TPM". Please find the below snap. [ATTACH] My LaptopLenovo ThinkPad E460, TYPE:20ETA004SG...
  6. Windows 10 BitLocker Drive Encryption AND Device Encryption enabled?

Windows 10 BitLocker Drive Encryption AND Device Encryption enabled?: Recently I looked into enabling "BitLocker Drive Encryption" on Windows 10 Pro. After enabling it, I discovered that "Device Encryption" under Settings -> Update and Security -> Device Encryption was already enabled. This is a new Lenovo laptop from 12/2020, bought from...
  7. Bitlocker encryption on non-os drives

Bitlocker encryption on non-os drives: hi, I have tried to recover windows due to an operating system corruption. Then when I was trying to log in I was said that there is a bitlocker encryption. I was able to recover that by logging into Microsoft account. However, still my non-os drives D: and E: are...
  8. Changing the BitLocker Recovery Key on an Already Encrypted OS drive?

Changing the BitLocker Recovery Key on an Already Encrypted OS drive?: Is there a way I can change the BitLocker recovery key to a new one on my encrypted OS drive? Do I need to first Suspend BitLocker to do so? Is there a tutorial on this here? Thanks 101007
  9. Bitlocker Device Encryption enabled after imaging

Bitlocker Device Encryption enabled after imaging: I am trying to create a Windows 10 image for my organization, and cannot figure out one particular issue with Bitlocker. It seems that after I sysprep, and throw the image on a new computer, it then has BitLocker partially enabled. What I mean is that when going to the About...
  10. Unlock OS Drive Encrypted by BitLocker in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Unlock OS Drive Encrypted by BitLocker in Windows 10: How to: Unlock OS Drive Encrypted by BitLocker in Windows 10 How to Unlock an OS Drive Encrypted by BitLocker in Windows 10 [img] Information BitLocker Drive Encryption is a data protection feature that integrates with the operating system and addresses the threats of...