Windows 10: Bitlocker encryption key recovery

Discus and support Bitlocker encryption key recovery in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My Dell windows 10 laptop is acting up. Won't finish booting up.. Try to run clean disk and keep getting asked for my bit locker encryption key...... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by SteveMcCrossan, Mar 8, 2020.

1. Bitlocker encryption key recovery

My Dell windows 10 laptop is acting up. Won't finish booting up.. Try to run clean disk and keep getting asked for my bit locker encryption key... I've never set this up machine bought new in a store. Help! Please...

Steve

:)

SteveMcCrossan, Mar 8, 2020
  2. Bill Smithers, Mar 8, 2020
  3. Suman_B Win User
    BitLocker encrypted drive not unlocking with recovery key

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand you are not able to unlock the encrypted drive with recovery key on the Windows 10 PC, you may want to refer to this article to check if that helps.

BitLocker recovery guide.

However, as the issue is with the BitLocker encryption. I would suggest you to post your query in the
    TechNet,
    where we have support professionals who are well equipped with the knowledge on BitLocker issues to assist you with your query.

Thanks,

Suman.B

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Suman_B, Mar 8, 2020
  4. qp0615932 Win User

Bitlocker encryption key recovery

[BitLocker] Encrypting without generating recovery key?

Hi,

is there a way to encrypt a BitLocker drive without generating a recovery key?

Other encryption tools such as DiskCryptor/VeraCrypt/TrueCrypt or those found on Linux can simply be used with one PIN, no recovery key required.

BitLocker also allows to encrypt using a PIN. But, even when using a PIN, it still always seems to require to generate a recovery key in addition.

Is it possible to disable recovery keys altogether? So that only a PIN is set up to encrypt the drive and nothing else?

Why would you want a recovery key anyway, when you are already using a PIN? Why would you want to generate two passwords (PIN + recovery key) instead of just one password (only PIN without any recovery key)?

qp0615932, Mar 8, 2020
Thema:

Bitlocker encryption key recovery

1. Bitlocker encryption key recovery - Similar Threads - Bitlocker encryption key

2. Bitlocker Key Encryption

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker Key Encryption: Hi team,My hard drive was bitlocker encrypted and the surprising thing is that I didn't even know how. For this reason i formatted the disk since I didn't have any choice. After formatting even if I am trying to recover the data, it is asking for the recovery key. Could you...
  3. Bitlocker Key Encryption

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bitlocker Key Encryption: Hi team,My hard drive was bitlocker encrypted and the surprising thing is that I didn't even know how. For this reason i formatted the disk since I didn't have any choice. After formatting even if I am trying to recover the data, it is asking for the recovery key. Could you...
  4. bitlocker encrypted drive not opening with password or recovery key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    bitlocker encrypted drive not opening with password or recovery key: Password and recovery key are correct. Do I have any options? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bitlocker-encrypted-drive-not-opening-with/ce12de0f-e3c9-41f8-a737-1428cc4de9cb
  5. identifier value for BitLocker Drive Encryption recovery key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    identifier value for BitLocker Drive Encryption recovery key: Ok, so I'm an everyday user of my laptop who has a low to moderate understanding of some of the back end processes.I have a piece of software that is not responding and the developer has told me "You likely have some software on your computer intefering with xxx. Try...
  6. BitLocker Drive Encryption Recovery Key

BitLocker Drive Encryption Recovery Key: I purchased a second hand HP ProDesk PC and supplier replaced original SSD with new larger capacity. BitLocker was and remains turned on. I wasn't aware until I spent some time updating Win10 Pro and downloading some programs and data.Via Control Panel > BitLocker Drive...
  7. Bitlocker has Encrypted disks without a recovery key

Bitlocker has Encrypted disks without a recovery key: Hi, I have an issue where a number of devices on the network have encrypted without a recovery key which I didn't think was possible, most of the devices have correctly stored the key in AD and Azure. A GPO exists to force a 48 digit recovery key and store in AD. so a...
  8. BitLocker Drive Encryption Recovery Key

BitLocker Drive Encryption Recovery Key: On Windows 10, I'm trying to set up a Bitlock Recovery Key and I accepted the Print option. On the print out I am being asked to compare the start of the identifier on the print out with the identifier on my computer to see if it matches. Where on the computer would I find...
  9. BitLocker encrypted drive not unlocking with recovery key

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    BitLocker encrypted drive not unlocking with recovery key: I encrypted an external hard drive a while ago and have since forgotten the password. I have the 48 digit recovery key saved to my computer as a notepad document. The problem I am having is that when I enter the 48 digit recovery key to unlock the drive nothing happens. No...
  10. [BitLocker] Encrypting without generating recovery key?

[BitLocker] Encrypting without generating recovery key?: Hi, is there a way to encrypt a BitLocker drive without generating a recovery key? Other encryption tools such as DiskCryptor/VeraCrypt/TrueCrypt or those found on Linux can simply be used with one PIN, no recovery key required. BitLocker also allows to encrypt using...