Windows 10: BitLocker Encryption Process? Used or Entire Disk Space?

Discus and support BitLocker Encryption Process? Used or Entire Disk Space? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello everyone, Since choosing to encrypt the ENTIRE drive with BitLocker which can take very long time to complete, can I encrypt the Used Disk... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by win10freak, Jan 4, 2016.

1. BitLocker Encryption Process? Used or Entire Disk Space?

Hello everyone,

Since choosing to encrypt the ENTIRE drive with BitLocker which can take very long time to complete, can I encrypt the Used Disk Space only when re-installing Windows 10?
    When there is a need for me to reinstall Windows, here is how I do it.

1. Boot from USB to boot the Windows or Windows 10 OS setup process
    2. Then, I wipe every drive/partition under the Advanced Page section were you can format or delete all the drives listed. I usually take all the drives listed and DELETE them until I see the only one listed as Unallocated Space. That's it. Everything else is deleted.

Then I continue on with the Windows installation.

Now, this is NOT a new drive. This has been used a lot to reinstall Windows. But I always DELETE ALL the listed drives that I see until the Unallocated Disk is listed only.

So, my question is this. Will I still need to encrypt the entire drive or will encrypting the Used Space Only will be OK since I deleted all the drives and started from scratch when reinstalling Windows 10?
    Or does encrypting the Used Space Only applies when getting a new physical disk or PC?

Because the issue I want to avoid the next time I reinstall Windows (in case I get bit from malware or something like that), is to wait 10 hours to encrypt the whole drive again...

Now its too late, because I already began the entire disk encryption with BitLocker.

But I do want to avoid waiting in case I do have to reinstall Windows 10 again.

:)

win10freak, Jan 4, 2016

2. windows 10 and bitlocker

BitLocker (formerly BitLocker Drive Encryption) is a full disk encryption feature included with the Ultimate and Enterprise editions of Windows Vista and Windows 7, the Pro and Enterprise editions of Windows 8 and Windows 8.1, and Windows Server
    2008 and later. It is designed to protect data by providing encryption for entire volumes.
    Windows 10 won't change it: Pro continues to get BitLocker just as it did before.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Jan 4, 2016
  3. stur2009 Win User
    Can windows bitlocker be used on DVD+/- or BDRE/BDR writable discs?

Can I use the bitlocker encryption system on optical discs I create? (The same way I encrypt a USB drive...)

Thanks

stur2009, Jan 4, 2016
Thema:

BitLocker Encryption Process? Used or Entire Disk Space?

1. BitLocker Encryption Process? Used or Entire Disk Space? - Similar Threads - BitLocker Encryption Process

2. Encrypted using bitlocker

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Encrypted using bitlocker: My servers were attacked by an attacker and the attacker has encrypted all of my VMs using Bitlocker. The attacker is asking for a payment of 1btc for the decryption key. Is there a way that Microsoft can help me decrypt my data? Otherwise, I would have no choice but to pay...
  3. Encrypted using bitlocker

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Encrypted using bitlocker: My servers were attacked by an attacker and the attacker has encrypted all of my VMs using Bitlocker. The attacker is asking for a payment of 1btc for the decryption key. Is there a way that Microsoft can help me decrypt my data? Otherwise, I would have no choice but to pay...
  4. Encrypted using bitlocker

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Bitlocker Off, but showing used space encryption On?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Bitlocker Off, but showing used space encryption On?: [ATTACH] Having an issue with some new machines at work, where Bitlocker is off in Control Panel, but manage-bde shows used space encryption is on. They are new Dell Latitude machines and do have TPM modules which are on by default, and the encryption is on after initial,...
  6. BitLocker encrypting Used or Entire space?

BitLocker encrypting Used or Entire space?: I usually been reinstalling Win10 to get rid of the so called "clutter" on my system to make it more fresh and such. Regarding BitLocker, I always select to encrypt the entire drive as opposed to encrypting used spaced only. The entire drive option takes literally 9 hours...
  7. BitLocker - how to change "Used Space Only Encrypted" to Full

BitLocker - how to change "Used Space Only Encrypted" to Full: Hello I'm looking for a way to change BitLocker encryption scope from 'Used Space Only' to "Full Disk' without doing ful decryption. Is it at all possible? I could not find any useful information on TechNet. 83055
  8. BitLocker Used Disk Space Only Encrypted

BitLocker Used Disk Space Only Encrypted: I have been using my laptop for a while, but no sensitive data stored on it yet and I just enabled Bitlocker with the Used Space option to save time. The files that were deleted are NOT sensitive. A few questions here. 1. When I decide to reinstall Windows 10 again on...
  9. BitLocker - Used Space Encryption on used Laptop?

BitLocker - Used Space Encryption on used Laptop?: I tried several times to encrypt the entire disk after reinstalling Windows 10 but it always took for ever (usually 10 hours) to fully encrypt my internal 320GB drive. I managed to run bitlocker successfully by encrypting only used space. My question is should I run...
  10. BitLocker Encryption process VERY Slow on Win10

BitLocker Encryption process VERY Slow on Win10: I just installed Win10 Pro and I love it. When I enabled BitLocker, I selected to encrypt the Entire drive instead of the Used Space because I just feel I am safer with encrypting the entire drive. And my drive is not new. It had Win7 running before. So I did a clean...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. bitlocker encrypt entire drive or used disk space reddit

2. what is used to process bitlocker full drive encryption

3. bitlocker whole disk versus used space