Windows 10: Bitlocker encryption stuck and it seems to slow down entire system IO

Discus and support Bitlocker encryption stuck and it seems to slow down entire system IO in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have multiple disks on my Windows 10 PC. I did BitLocker encryption on g: yesterday and it stuck at 94.8%. After rebooting I can unlock the drive,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by ljh131, Mar 25, 2020.

1. ljh131 Win User

Bitlocker encryption stuck and it seems to slow down entire system IO

I have multiple disks on my Windows 10 PC.

I did BitLocker encryption on g: yesterday and it stuck at 94.8%.

After rebooting I can unlock the drive, encryption resumed at 94.8%, but any access to folder or file is very slow.

When I watch task manager, there is no meaningful IO transfer under 500KB/s from g:, but it use 100% of activity time or usage?.

Even in resource monitor, there is absolutely no file access to g:.

Weird thing is - systems is running very slow if it is disk related launching a new program, accessing to any other drive

I guess BitLocker blocks some kind of system IO and slow down entire system IO.

Any of below commands are not respond. It seems to stuck at launching these command

chkdsk d:

manage-bde -pause d:

manage-bde -off d:

It happens again and again after cold reboot. Can't reboot normally because system stuck during shutdown progress

:)

ljh131, Mar 25, 2020

2. BitLocker encrypting Used or Entire space?

I usually been reinstalling Win10 to get rid of the so called "clutter" on my system to make it more fresh and such.
    Regarding BitLocker, I always select to encrypt the entire drive as opposed to encrypting used spaced only.
    The entire drive option takes literally 9 hours to encrypt and complete.
    So I was thinking, is it wise to always select Encrypt Used Space Only whenever I reinstall in the future or is that option only for new machines and drives?

I just don't have the time to wait for my entire drive to be encrypted as I need to work on my programs and during the encryption process it just slows my system down.

When encrypting the used space only, new and existing data will be encrypted?
    Am I correct?

So when I reinstall Windows 10 the next time around, should I select encrypt Used Space Only?

Just want to save time.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks

win10freak, Mar 25, 2020
  3. BitLocker Encryption Process? Used or Entire Disk Space?

Hello everyone,

Since choosing to encrypt the ENTIRE drive with BitLocker which can take very long time to complete, can I encrypt the Used Disk Space only when re-installing Windows 10?
    When there is a need for me to reinstall Windows, here is how I do it.

1. Boot from USB to boot the Windows or Windows 10 OS setup process
    2. Then, I wipe every drive/partition under the Advanced Page section were you can format or delete all the drives listed. I usually take all the drives listed and DELETE them until I see the only one listed as Unallocated Space. That's it. Everything else is deleted.

Then I continue on with the Windows installation.

Now, this is NOT a new drive. This has been used a lot to reinstall Windows. But I always DELETE ALL the listed drives that I see until the Unallocated Disk is listed only.

So, my question is this. Will I still need to encrypt the entire drive or will encrypting the Used Space Only will be OK since I deleted all the drives and started from scratch when reinstalling Windows 10?
    Or does encrypting the Used Space Only applies when getting a new physical disk or PC?

Because the issue I want to avoid the next time I reinstall Windows (in case I get bit from malware or something like that), is to wait 10 hours to encrypt the whole drive again...

Now its too late, because I already began the entire disk encryption with BitLocker.

But I do want to avoid waiting in case I do have to reinstall Windows 10 again.

win10freak, Mar 25, 2020
  4. Bitlocker encryption stuck and it seems to slow down entire system IO

BitLocker Encrypted Hard Drive to MAC

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you.

I suggest you to perform below mentioned steps to disable BitLocker.

To disable BitLocker I would suggest you try the following steps and see if it helps.

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Control Panel.

• Change View by from Category
      to Large Icons/Small Icons.

• Click on BitLocker Drive Encryption and click on
      Turn BitLocker Off.

• Follow on screen instructions. Click on Decrypt the Drive
      when the message appears.
    I would suggest you click on the link below and refer the following article.

Scenario 12: Turning Off BitLocker Drive Encryption (Windows 7)

Scenario 12: Turning Off BitLocker Drive Encryption (Windows 7)

(You can refer the steps in the above link as they are applicable for Windows 10 as well)

Check if it helps.

I hope the information helps. Please keep us posted on the issue. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Aswin_Anand, Mar 25, 2020
Thema:

Bitlocker encryption stuck and it seems to slow down entire system IO

1. Bitlocker encryption stuck and it seems to slow down entire system IO - Similar Threads - Bitlocker encryption stuck

2. Bitlocker stuck at 11.5% encryption

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Bitlocker stuck at 11.5% encryption: Hello, I'm attempting to enable Bitlocker encryption on an external hard drive, but it will not proceed further than 11.5%.Technical details:Windows 10 ProSeagate 1TB external HDDSo far I've tried:chkdsk /r in elevated cmdchkdsk /f in elevated cmdPausing, then resuming...
  3. Bitlocker stuck at 11.5% encryption

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker stuck at 11.5% encryption: Hello, I'm attempting to enable Bitlocker encryption on an external hard drive, but it will not proceed further than 11.5%.Technical details:Windows 10 ProSeagate 1TB external HDDSo far I've tried:chkdsk /r in elevated cmdchkdsk /f in elevated cmdPausing, then resuming...
  4. Bitlocker stuck at 11.5% encryption

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Bitlocker encryption and system variables

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker encryption and system variables: I have a serious problem with my Windows PC. I accidentally deleted my system variables so some features stopped working. I tried to reset my PC but it is protected with Bitlocker, I can't find my keys from my system because it's not working properly. My Microsoft is not...
  6. Bitlocker encryption and system variables

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bitlocker encryption and system variables: I have a serious problem with my Windows PC. I accidentally deleted my system variables so some features stopped working. I tried to reset my PC but it is protected with Bitlocker, I can't find my keys from my system because it's not working properly. My Microsoft is not...
  7. Bitlocker encryption and system variables

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. BitLocker Encryption Process? Used or Entire Disk Space?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    BitLocker Encryption Process? Used or Entire Disk Space?: Hello everyone, Since choosing to encrypt the ENTIRE drive with BitLocker which can take very long time to complete, can I encrypt the Used Disk Space only when re-installing Windows 10? When there is a need for me to reinstall Windows, here is how I do it. 1. Boot...
  9. BitLocker encrypting Used or Entire space?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    BitLocker encrypting Used or Entire space?: I usually been reinstalling Win10 to get rid of the so called "clutter" on my system to make it more fresh and such. Regarding BitLocker, I always select to encrypt the entire drive as opposed to encrypting used spaced only. The entire drive option takes literally 9 hours...
  10. Network copying slows down entire system

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network copying slows down entire system: Been trying to copy 50gb from my synology to a USB hd disk. This causes the entire system to not respond well.. If I hit the pause button on the copy window everything works again perfectly. So I tested to a local Hard Drive.. Same copy movement. No issues then. So the...