Windows 10: BITLOCKER EXTERNAL HD

Discus and support BITLOCKER EXTERNAL HD in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; just spent $1000 restoring an old E-HD that turns out to actually be locked by bitlocker I have no memory of setting this god aweful program up on an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by erinel, Feb 25, 2021.

1. erinel Win User

BITLOCKER EXTERNAL HD

just spent $1000 restoring an old E-HD that turns out to actually be locked by bitlocker

I have no memory of setting this god aweful program up on an old computer 10 years ago.

Now there's no way to access this drive even after rescuing the data - there is no Password or Numerical Password - because the original computer this EXTERNAL HD was attached to is gone.

So there is no saved file and any back up to that computer would probably be on THIS Hard Drive.

NOW, before I get the rope and chair to **** is there a way to get into this drive?

:)

erinel, Feb 25, 2021

2. External HD Connection Problem

I have attached an external HD to my computer running Windows 10 and it will not show up in my drive list. The properties shows it as Seagate.ink - what is an ink file and any suggestions as to how I can get it to work?

ColleenTreacy, Feb 25, 2021
  3. File back up to bitlockered external drive

Thanks John.

By trial and error the solution is,

• Set the file back up to the desired external USB drive, Back up using file history.
    • Run backup to completion.
    • Dismount, (Remove) the drive used.
    • Remount (Plug in) the drive used for the file back up (Steps 1&2) and encrypt using Bitlocker.
    Note you can only encrypt drives using some versions of Windows (Pro for eg not Home)

• Once the external drive has been encrypted dismount.
    • Remount the drive, go to the file back up option, Open, Settings, Backup,
      Back up using file history
    • The drive should now still be visible and has been encrypted.
    • Accessing the drive will be dependant on how it was set up in Bitlocker,
      Open with this PC, password, pin code
      etc.
    • Repeat file back up as in the first two steps.

Hope this helps someone else.

Martin Holme, Feb 25, 2021
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

BITLOCKER EXTERNAL HD

Remove BitLocker for external drive

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand that you want to disable BitLocker for the external hard drive. However, we would like to know if you are able to access data from the external hard drive.

In the meantime, you may refer the steps mentioned below to disable BitLocker:

1. Type Command Prompt in the search bar on the
      Taskbar.
    2. Right click on the Command Prompt icon and select
      Run as administrator.
    3. Type manage-bde –off X: and hit
      Enter
      . (Replace X with the drive letter of the external hard drive)

Meanwhile, you may also post your query in
    TechNet forums
    , where we have support professionals who are well equipped with the knowledge on BitLocker to address your query.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Feb 25, 2021
Thema:

BITLOCKER EXTERNAL HD

1. BITLOCKER EXTERNAL HD - Similar Threads - BITLOCKER EXTERNAL

2. Access is denied when I try to disable bitlocker on an encrypted external drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Access is denied when I try to disable bitlocker on an encrypted external drive: I had a Windows 11 laptop with a 512GB SSD, which got broken a few months ago I have the SSD intact. I am using an External SSD adapter to back up my data. I have access to my Bitlocker keys and can access my files in a read-only mode but if I delete or modify my files it's...
  3. Access is denied when I try to disable bitlocker on an encrypted external drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Access is denied when I try to disable bitlocker on an encrypted external drive: I had a Windows 11 laptop with a 512GB SSD, which got broken a few months ago I have the SSD intact. I am using an External SSD adapter to back up my data. I have access to my Bitlocker keys and can access my files in a read-only mode but if I delete or modify my files it's...
  4. Hi, Yesterday I copied my data from bitlocker drive to external drive. After 2 days when I...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Hi, Yesterday I copied my data from bitlocker drive to external drive. After 2 days when I...: Data not show in external drive adata HDDWhen copy from bitlocker drive from pc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hi-yesterday-i-copied-my-data-from-bitlocker-drive/bd9f02b4-dc66-42ab-97a3-ef44f27ee07b
  5. Bitlocker external drive exclusion list for Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker external drive exclusion list for Windows 10: We use Bitlocker to encrypt the external drives in our company, and we need to exclude the ClickShare units in our meeting rooms. I causes confusion to the end users when prompted to encrypt these devices.Barco made a post about it here 2 years ago:...
  6. Bitlocker external drive exclusion list for Windows 10

Bitlocker external drive exclusion list for Windows 10: We use Bitlocker to encrypt the external drives in our company, and we need to exclude the ClickShare units in our meeting rooms. I causes confusion to the end users when prompted to encrypt these devices.Barco made a post about it here 2 years ago:...
  7. Bitlocker external drive exclusion list for Windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  8. Unknown Bitlocker encryption on a external seagate HDD

Unknown Bitlocker encryption on a external seagate HDD: To give some background I have been using a acer 300 se laptop as a gaming laptop and also to keep photos. But recently built a PC as a daily driver and was hoping to use a external hdd used on my laptop to transfer everything to me PC. So on the first time turning it on for...
  9. Unknown Bitlocker encryption on a external seagate HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unknown Bitlocker encryption on a external seagate HDD: To give some background I have been using a acer 300 se laptop as a gaming laptop and also to keep photos. But recently built a PC as a daily driver and was hoping to use a external hdd used on my laptop to transfer everything to me PC. So on the first time turning it on for...
  10. Can I open a Bitlocker-encrypted external drive on a computer that has Windows 11 Home Edition?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I open a Bitlocker-encrypted external drive on a computer that has Windows 11 Home Edition?: I have an external drive that I would like to have protected with password encryption through Bitlocker. I understand that I can enable it in Windows 11 Pro, but not through Windows 11 Home.My home computer has Windows 11 Home.However, my work computer has Bitlocker...