Windows 10: Bitlocker forced to auto-encrypt on Creators Update?

Discus and support Bitlocker forced to auto-encrypt on Creators Update? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I've just got a new Dell XPS 9360. Obviously the system installed by default was full of crapware, so I traditionally re-partitioned the drive and... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by mikolajek, Jun 30, 2017.

1. mikolajek Win User

Bitlocker forced to auto-encrypt on Creators Update?

I've just got a new Dell XPS 9360. Obviously the system installed by default was full of crapware, so I traditionally re-partitioned the drive and installed Windows 10 Creators Update manually.

Surprisingly I noticed that both my partitions were being decrypted the moment Windows started up for the first time. I tried to disable Bitlocker encryption from the Above screen in Settings but failed as it has already started. OK, I allowed it to complete and turned it then off.

However, it kept bothering me why it happened at all. So I reinstalled Windows again from the scratch once again just to see if it repeats. Well, it did partly - the 2nd partition was left with Bitlocker off, but the system partition was again being automatically encrypted!

Do you know why it happens? It never happened before on any Windows 10 version - I always could choose if I want to use Bitlocker or not. I've also installed the same Windows version on some cheaper machine (Dell Inspiron 5567) and drivers didn't get automatically encrypted there.

Can it be anything specific for Dell? Any way to get rid of this?

:)

mikolajek, Jun 30, 2017

2. how does bitlocker and creator updated deal with each other

BitLocker is a built in feature of Windows premium business editions such as Pro, Pro Edu, Enterprise, Education and Pro for Workstations.

Before installing a new Feature Update such as the Creators Update, you should disable BitLocker Drive Encryption.

If you are using a third party encryption tool, you should disable or remove it entirely.

Andre Da Costa, Jun 30, 2017
  3. OYSteve Win User
    Bitlocker To Go with XTS-AES 128 destroyed my 8TB Hard Drive (Windows 10 1511/10586/November Update)

It's too dangerous to not use Bitlocker these days. If you don't use Bitlocker then this thread isn't for you. Again, searching for those that use XTS-AES Bitlocker encryption on Windows 10 1703/15063/Creators Update.

OYSteve, Jun 30, 2017
  4. mikolajek Win User

Hmmm... I found some information on Dell's support page:

Microsoft BitLocker enabled when Windows 10 is shipped.

Dell systems that ship with the Windows 10 operating system and are equipped with Trusted Platform Module (TPM) capability will have Microsoft BitLocker encryption enabled from the factory. BitLocker drive encryption prevents the application of image files used to restore the Dell Factory Image.

But is there any way of getting rid of enabling Bitlocker by default?

mikolajek, Jun 30, 2017
  5. DavidY Win User
    It's a feature since Windows 8.1. All computers which meet certain hardware specifications (called 'InstantGo' for Windows 8.1, although I think it's less stringent for Windows 10, but it does require non-rotational/ solid state drive for the system drive) will have Device Encryption turned on on the system drive. This is all versions of Windows, even Windows 10 Home which don't have full Bitlocker.

I believe you can turn it off in Settings - on my tablet it's in Settings under System, then About, and Device Encryption is at the bottom. (Although I'm still running an older version of Windows 10 on it - need to free up some disk space before it will upgrade - so the option may have moved.)

Edit: or you could open Settings and type Encryption into the search box, which may find it.

Edit2: from https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...iew-windows-10

DavidY, Jun 30, 2017
  6. mikolajek Win User
    Many thanks for that, I appreciate it!

Well, it then looks it's the Dell machine I got that "causes" this. My all previous machines (incl. XPS 15 9550) never offered encryption by default, regardless of what Windows version I was using (and I did tens of fresh installs...).

mikolajek, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Bitlocker forced to auto-encrypt on Creators Update? - Similar Threads - Bitlocker forced auto

2. Bitlocker encryption

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker encryption: Hello, ive been locked out of my windows account, since i need my old security old email. Which i no longer have acces to, ive contacted microsoft, and they gave me 2 options. Wait 30 days to update security mail and i dont know if they even will do it or clean install which...
  3. Bitlocker encryption

in Windows 10 Customization
    Bitlocker encryption: Hi Everyone,I am trying to change the bitlocker encryption method to AES 256, And i am trying to find the right command that i can execute from command prompt to change this.Could someone suggest on this?RegardsKevin...
  4. BitLocker auto encryption

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    BitLocker auto encryption: I got an SSD installed in place of internal HDD and installed internal HDD in place of the CD Rom with help of a casing in Dell Vostro 14-3468. So when I installed win10 in my SSD and tried to access the partitions of HDD, I saw that those drives were encrypted with...
  5. Auto encryption

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Auto encryption: Why are my NAS jpeg files automatically extended with 'encrypt' when viewed through Windows File Explorer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/auto-encryption/d2b66ef2-9e36-4b70-9074-f8e3691c74bf
  6. BitLocker encryption

BitLocker encryption: I have a secondary user who has access from another to my OneDrive files. I want to keep it that way. What effect does turning on BitLocker encryption have on their ability to access my OneDrive files?...
  7. Bitlocker Encryption

Bitlocker Encryption: I support a remote laptop at a site I have never been to. I have been assured that the laptop is left only in a secured room and used by two trustworthy people. The following problem has happened twice in the last year. I was informed the bitlocker PIN has stopped working...
  8. Change Auto play settings for BitLocker encrypted drives

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Change Auto play settings for BitLocker encrypted drives: I want to change Auto play settings for BitLocker encrypted drives. I have encrypted the drives then restarted the PC. Then I changed the "Defaults for what to do when unlocking a Bitlocker encrypted Drive" to "Open with File Explorer". But when I open the drives now, I view...
  9. Change Auto play settings for BitLocker encrypted drives.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Change Auto play settings for BitLocker encrypted drives.: 1. I'd encrypted my (ex. 4 Drives) with BitLocker. 2. Computer Restarted 3. Accidentally changed the "Defaults for what to do when unlocking a Bitlocker encrypted Drive" to "Open with File Explorer" (basically, can't remember the dialogs). 4. Now, after unlocking each...
  10. Encrypt/Decrypt Context menu for Creators Update?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Encrypt/Decrypt Context menu for Creators Update?: I used to use the following very helpful tweak since Win7 to enable a encrypt/decrypt context menu in the file explorer prior to the creators update: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced] "EncryptionContextMenu"=dword:00000001...
Tags: