Windows 10: Bitlocker has locked a SSD in my laptop

Discus and support Bitlocker has locked a SSD in my laptop in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Guessing I know the answer to this one but really hoping there is a workaround.... Laptop with two drives. Decided to do a clean install of Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by GregH, Sep 13, 2020.

1. GregH Win User

Bitlocker has locked a SSD in my laptop

Guessing I know the answer to this one but really hoping there is a workaround....
    Laptop with two drives. Decided to do a clean install of Windows 10 Pro 2004 in an attempt to fix a few minor issues. Installed Windows to the C: using a USB set up using the Media Creation Tool. All went well. This is a Dell laptop.

However, the second SSD in the system is now showing as locked by Bit Locker, asking for a code to unlock the drive. I am so annoyed as I did not ever turn Bit Locker on! How was I to know this would be the case? I went back and checked in Bit Locker which is a part of Windows, and sure enough, it was turned on and encrypting my freshly installed C: also. So it turns on without user permission and with no warning of the consequences. I turned it off!

Now though, is there anyway of unlocking my D: or have I lost all my data on this drive. Yes I have a backup but it is a bit old. ;(

:)

GregH, Sep 13, 2020
  2. up2trix Win User

Setup BitLocker Encryption On Win 10 Pro 64Bit Solid State Drive(SSD)?

Jesse, I have no idea why you are having problems getting BitLocker to work on an SSD. I had no problems whatsoever getting it to work on my Samsung 970 EVO, which is a PCIe NVMe SSD.

Your post is inadequate: it lacks many details which might help someone diagnose your problem. You should start with complete details of your SSD and perhaps your computer, and then list all the steps that you took to try to set up BitLocker.

I have no idea if this will help you, but I posted full details of how I configured BitLocker on my system here.

up2trix, Sep 13, 2020
  3. Bitlocker locked on startup

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

Follow the below steps and check if it helps:

I suggest you to try the step under the section "To unlock removable data drive" in the following article:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/unlock-bitlocker-protected-drive

Note: The steps for Windows 8.1 applies to Windows 10 as well.

For further reference, ask OP to refer to the following article:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/bitlocker-drive-encryption

I hope this information helps.

Thank you.

Divya Murugan, Sep 13, 2020
  4. Bitlocker has locked a SSD in my laptop

MohamedShelly, Sep 13, 2020
Thema:

Bitlocker has locked a SSD in my laptop

1. Bitlocker has locked a SSD in my laptop - Similar Threads - Bitlocker has locked

2. Bitlocker has locked a SSD in my laptop

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker has locked a SSD in my laptop: Guessing I know the answer to this one but really hoping there is a workaround.... Laptop with two drives. Decided to do a clean install of Windows 10 Pro 2004 in an attempt to fix a few minor issues. Installed Windows to the C: using a USB set up using the Media Creation...
  3. Son's laptop locked out - Bitlocker?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Son's laptop locked out - Bitlocker?: Hi, my son's Windows 10 laptop just stopped working all of a sudden. Now, it will boot up, though it's to a Bitlocker screen asking for a 48-character key. I (and he) have no idea what this key is, nor remember installing this feature. MS support pages are no help,...
  4. BitLocker locked my laptop. Need to speak with a Microsoft agent

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    BitLocker locked my laptop. Need to speak with a Microsoft agent: My laptop somehow got locked by Microsoft's BitLocker. I never set this up and so I don't have a recovery key. I have already wasted hours trying to sort this out. I am really angry that a Microsoft product that I never signed up for has locked me out of my computer and is...
  5. Bitlock locked-out

Bitlock locked-out: After removing hard drive to upgrade tower windows is requires my bit lock code...which was save to my One drive. I can't seem to local where Microsoft had stored it with multiple users on the hard drive so I'm sure the last user was not the one with the bit lock code is...
  6. Bitlocker Is locking my main hard drive and deleting applications after ssd upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker Is locking my main hard drive and deleting applications after ssd upgrade: Hey all, I was hoping to see if anyone would be able to help me with my current predicament. Recently I cloned over my Windows 10 OS and files from my smaller 256gb ssd boot drive to a much larger 500gb ssd. I store all of my main applications on my hard disk drive 1tb....
  7. Locked SSD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Locked SSD: Ok, i need help and good help because i have no idea what happened. i was adding a security option to a file ( i blocked system from having full control and left everything else because it kept interfering with a program ). when all of a sudden my wallpaper went black and...
  8. DELL laptop locked out of computer because of bitlocker

DELL laptop locked out of computer because of bitlocker: My DELL laptop is in start up repair, and requires a recovery key to get passed the screen. Geek Squad told me that it is locked by bit locker and there's no way to get past it without putting in the recovery key. I've only had the laptop for about a month only and it has...
  9. CPU is locked by Bitlocker

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    CPU is locked by Bitlocker: I had an issue with Bitlocker but I managed to get the Bitlocker unlocked. However I lost access to my computer, CPU is still locked. I can navigate CPU but I cannot do anything outside CMD....
  10. Automatically locking BitLocker volumes

Automatically locking BitLocker volumes: Is there an easy way to have certain BitLocker volumes lock automatically after a period of user absence and lack of reading/writing to the volumes? Perhaps a utility that does this? I've been playing with a scheduled task, but so far, it locks the volumes when I don't...