Windows 10: Bitlocker has locked a SSD in my laptop

Discus and support Bitlocker has locked a SSD in my laptop in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Guessing I know the answer to this one but really hoping there is a workaround.... Laptop with two drives. Decided to do a clean install of Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by GregH, Sep 13, 2020.

1. GregH Win User

Bitlocker has locked a SSD in my laptop

Guessing I know the answer to this one but really hoping there is a workaround....
    Laptop with two drives. Decided to do a clean install of Windows 10 Pro 2004 in an attempt to fix a few minor issues. Installed Windows to the C: using a USB set up using the Media Creation Tool. All went well. This is a Dell laptop.

However, the second SSD in the system is now showing as locked by Bit Locker, asking for a code to unlock the drive. I am so annoyed as I did not ever turn Bit Locker on! How was I to know this would be the case? I went back and checked in Bit Locker which is a part of Windows, and sure enough, it was turned on and encrypting my freshly installed C: also. So it turns on without user permission and with no warning of the consequences. I turned it off!

Now though, is there anyway of unlocking my D: or have I lost all my data on this drive. Yes I have a backup but it is a bit old. ;(

:)

GregH, Sep 13, 2020
  2. up2trix Win User

Setup BitLocker Encryption On Win 10 Pro 64Bit Solid State Drive(SSD)?

Jesse, I have no idea why you are having problems getting BitLocker to work on an SSD. I had no problems whatsoever getting it to work on my Samsung 970 EVO, which is a PCIe NVMe SSD.

Your post is inadequate: it lacks many details which might help someone diagnose your problem. You should start with complete details of your SSD and perhaps your computer, and then list all the steps that you took to try to set up BitLocker.

I have no idea if this will help you, but I posted full details of how I configured BitLocker on my system here.

up2trix, Sep 13, 2020
  3. Bitlocker locked on startup

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

Follow the below steps and check if it helps:

I suggest you to try the step under the section "To unlock removable data drive" in the following article:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/unlock-bitlocker-protected-drive

Note: The steps for Windows 8.1 applies to Windows 10 as well.

For further reference, ask OP to refer to the following article:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/bitlocker-drive-encryption

I hope this information helps.

Thank you.

Divya Murugan, Sep 13, 2020
  4. Bitlocker has locked a SSD in my laptop

MohamedShelly, Sep 13, 2020
Thema:

Bitlocker has locked a SSD in my laptop

1. Bitlocker has locked a SSD in my laptop - Similar Threads - Bitlocker has locked

2. the laptop is broken and the ssd is locked by bitlocker automatically

in Windows 10 Gaming
    the laptop is broken and the ssd is locked by bitlocker automatically: I experienced a broken laptop and it wouldn't turn on again. I took my SSD and tried to use another device but it was locked. I had never previously enabled bitlocker and didn't feel like saving the recovery key...
  3. the laptop is broken and the ssd is locked by bitlocker automatically

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    the laptop is broken and the ssd is locked by bitlocker automatically: I experienced a broken laptop and it wouldn't turn on again. I took my SSD and tried to use another device but it was locked. I had never previously enabled bitlocker and didn't feel like saving the recovery key...
  4. Laptop locked in bitlocker

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop locked in bitlocker: Hi, last year my windows 11 laptop updated and locked me into bitlocker. I cant factory reset it either, what do I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-locked-in-bitlocker/a15b76f2-baaa-4b1e-8b65-9d8c1cbf286c
  5. Laptop locked in bitlocker

Laptop locked in bitlocker: Hi, last year my windows 11 laptop updated and locked me into bitlocker. I cant factory reset it either, what do I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-locked-in-bitlocker/a15b76f2-baaa-4b1e-8b65-9d8c1cbf286c
  6. Everytime i restart my laptop, my second ssd is locked by bitlocker.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Everytime i restart my laptop, my second ssd is locked by bitlocker.: I cloned my main ssd yesterday, i got windows 11 to boot but my second ssd is always locked after a restart and theres also no bitlocker options on the laptop. How can i fix it?...
  7. Everytime i restart my laptop, my second ssd is locked by bitlocker.

Everytime i restart my laptop, my second ssd is locked by bitlocker.: I cloned my main ssd yesterday, i got windows 11 to boot but my second ssd is always locked after a restart and theres also no bitlocker options on the laptop. How can i fix it?...
  8. BitLocker locked my laptop by itself?!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BitLocker locked my laptop by itself?!: I had big problem with Bitlocker. When turning on, I got my laptop showing blue screen and asking for Bitlocker recovery key. I never activated Bitlocker at all. Then I tried to recover my Win 11 by USB boot in which I had to recover back to Win 10 then update it into Win...
  9. Bitlocker has locked out my wife's laptop.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker has locked out my wife's laptop.: Recent either Windows or BIOS update has locked out my wife's laptop. She has important data on it, and I cannot find the recovery key on Onedrive or Devices, and it's not on a printout or file either that I can find. This happened one day, and now we've basically lost our...
  10. Bitlocker has locked a SSD in my laptop

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker has locked a SSD in my laptop: Guessing I know the answer to this one but really hoping there is a workaround.... Laptop with two drives. Decided to do a clean install of Windows 10 Pro 2004 in an attempt to fix a few minor issues. Installed Windows to the C: using a USB set up using the Media Creation...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why my ssd locked by bitlocker recovery key