Windows 10: Bitlocker huge problem

Discus and support Bitlocker huge problem in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi all. First of all, sorry if I missed the topic since I couldn't find the suitable one for Bitlocker. I used Bitlocker to lock my external... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Harris J, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Harris J Win User

Bitlocker huge problem

Hi all.

First of all, sorry if I missed the topic since I couldn't find the suitable one for Bitlocker.

I used Bitlocker to lock my external Toshiba Canvio Basic hard drive but instead of locking it, it messed it up badly.

So, while encrypting, the progress bar filled up to 64% and stopped. I left it like that for about two and half days, I know it can take some time to encrypt stuff. Then the loud clanking noises came from the external drive which was bought less than month ago. That gave me anxiety attack since I have some important stuff on it. While having that anxiety attack, I stopped the process (which I shouldn't have done) and then tried to access the files when Windows File Explorer froze and didn't respond at all.

So my next (bad) move was to turn off the Bitlocker through the Manage Bitlocker in Control panel, which started the decryption process. I thought it's going to be ok, it will decrypt the stuff it encrypted and that's that. But no, the progress bar filled up to 94.3% and stayed there for a day, producing clanking noises all the way.

Now I can't back up any files since it says "Invalid MS-DOS function" when tying to copy a file from it to Desktop.

Things I tried:

• using repair -bde to empty drive with password, recovery key in cmd as admin -- did not work since it said that it "Failed to enable raw access mode on volume"
    • using manage-bde -on to start the encryption process again -- got stuck at 4% for days and clicking noises
    • trying CHKDSK /F and /R to fix errors on the drive -- got a message " The type of the file system is RAW; CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives."
    • using Windows error checking tool -- got a message "There was a problem repairing this drive.; Windows was unable to repair the drive.; Close this dialog box, and then try to repair the drive again."

This all went bad probably because of some hardware fault on the external HDD, because of all the clicking noises. I don't understand how it could happened since I bought it new from the store.

Any ideas/suggestions what should I try to do next or to just accept the fact that my data is gone forever?

:)

Harris J, Dec 6, 2019
  2. Peer_Sam Win User

problem with bitlocker

Hi Roeslie,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We need some more details to help you find the solution to your problem.

• Which edition of Windows 10 is installed on your surface machine?
    • Did you notice any changes on the computer recently?
    • When you say, you have a problem with your Surface machine about BitLocker key, do you mean that the surface machine asks you to enter the BitLocker key to allow you to sign into Windows?
    • Does the other computer ask you to enter the BitLocker key to allow you to access the files saved on it?

If you are being asked to enter a BitLocker key to sign into your surface machine and you don’t remember your BitLocker key, you can follow the instructions given in the link below to find the BitLocker recovery key.

Find my BitLocker recovery key

Please get back to us with the information requested above, so that we can suggest the appropriate troubleshooting steps.

Peer Samie

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Peer_Sam, Dec 6, 2019
  3. Paola Gar Win User
    Need to turn off Bitlocker to install Windows 10

Hi,

We suggest doing the following steps again to resolve the issue. To complete the procedure, make sure that you have the following information:

• You must be able to provide administrative credentials.
    • The drive must be BitLocker-protected.
    To suspend BitLocker Drive Encryption on an operating system drive, please follow the steps below:

• Click Start, click Control Panel, click
      System and Security, and then click BitLocker Drive Encryption.
    • Click Suspend Protection for the operating system drive.
    • A message is displayed, informing you that your data will not be protected while BitLocker is suspended and asking if you want to suspend BitLocker Drive Encryption.
    • Click Yes to continue and suspend BitLocker on the drive.

Let us know how it goes.

Paola Gar, Dec 6, 2019
  4. Ernie San Win User

Bitlocker huge problem

Bitlocker

Hello Nandana,

To enable BitLocker on your computer, you follow the steps below:

• Sign in to your Windows account with an administrator access.
    • Press the Windows key.
    • Type and enter BitLocker.
    • Click Turn on BitLocker.
    • If the system is asking to sing in to administrator access, please do so.
    For additional information about BitLocker, we suggest that you check the frequently ask question on this
    link. The link provided applies to Windows 8.1 to higher version.

If you have other concerns, don't hesitate to reach us.

Ernie San, Dec 6, 2019
Thema:

Bitlocker huge problem

1. Bitlocker huge problem - Similar Threads - Bitlocker huge problem

2. HUGE PROBLEM

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    HUGE PROBLEM: Anyone who follows me knows my system is full of huge problems too numerous to address individually, except new issues. Suddenly, this system after going to the screensaver I presume is included in Windows, is not working. I get a black screen only and a message that an error...
  3. HUGE PROBLEM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HUGE PROBLEM: Anyone who follows me knows my system is full of huge problems too numerous to address individually, except new issues. Suddenly, this system after going to the screensaver I presume is included in Windows, is not working. I get a black screen only and a message that an error...
  4. HUGE PROBLEM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Pagefile huge size problem

Pagefile huge size problem: Hi there, My pagefile seems to be quite large at 11264MB, 11GB~. I am really confused why this has happened, even though I manually set my SSD to off, my secondary HDD to off and manually set my first HDD to on with 400MB to 1912MB the recommended. See picture for...
  6. Huge Network Problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Huge Network Problem: ok so my internet usually drops out sometimes so yesterday I thought it would be a good idea to look at some tutorials on yt to see how to fix it and one of them said to uninstall the network wifi adapter then restart the computer i did it a couple of times nothing so I did...
  7. A huge problem with RAM

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    A huge problem with RAM: So I brought a 8GB DDR3 RAM of 1600mhz but my laptop's motherboard support 1333mhz. I put the ram in my laptop ..... The ram didn't have problems at the moment. So, My question is::: Q. Will the I have problem with ram? Q. Will I get bluescreens in the future ?...
  8. I have a huge problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I have a huge problem: I have deleted nearly everything, except what is under my Local Disk, off of my laptop and I still have low disk space. To make matters worse, this laptop is monitored by my school so anything that allows me to make changes to my computer is BLOCKED. They put Sophos which...
  9. A Huge Lag Problem

A Huge Lag Problem: OK so this is happen this morning, i boot up my windows 10 and then poof, cryptographic service are eating my disk in the day my assigment, i was frustated so i force shutdown my laptop, and i just using my phone to answer all the assigment, then i decided to boot up my...
  10. huge problem with messages

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    huge problem with messages: My friend asked me for help. He uses MS Outlook 2016, for me it is bad program. But his messages are disappeared from Folder. And now we don't know how to be. 90559